Author Topic: [Movies] Favorite Horror Films!  (Read 8466 times)

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
[Movies] Re: Favorite Horror Films!
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 04:27:30 AM »
Today's 1970s Horror Film Is: It's Alive

It's Alive is a 1974 American horror film written, produced, and directed by Larry Cohen. In the movie, a couple's infant child turns out to be a vicious mutant monster that kills when frightened.

MinerofMordor

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: XPhyscoticXOwlX
Re: Favorite Horror Films!
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
Alien 1979
Original Elm Street films
Tusk(because walruses are the superior being and also my favorite animal)
Dagon( I'm a huge Lovecraft fan)

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
  • Awards 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Agykoo
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
Alien 1979
Original Elm Street films
Tusk(because walruses are the superior being and also my favorite animal)
Dagon( I'm a huge Lovecraft fan)

love the original alien film, expaicly if you get your hands on the directors cut (as its truer to hr gigers alien)

dagon was really good too. closist to what hp lovecraft invivisioned that I have seen.
reanimaitor is great too if you love lovecraft.

theres another hp love craft move I saw parts of, it had who I emagined was suspied to be hp lovecraft readying an achant text is some sort of library and it was a bunch of short storys that he was ready. as he read more a door opened more to a gateway into the elder gods world. there was some monks trying to stop him too.
some of the short sotrys where a guy trying to get his dead wife back to life (looked like colonial era) but a big beholder like demon gets summioned instead.
the other story was 2 cops (in what looked leik the 80s) a white female who was pregent (but hiding it form the force of coruse, agy ryme). and her black (I think he was black) parent chasing a suspect into a back ally place and it turns up its aculty some kinda demon things that can project your happyist thoughts...........as they suck the marrow out of your bones.

iany way they where wsome and I think there might have been more.

only problem............I don't know the name of the movie. if any one does, help a sister out yo! ^_^
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
  • Awards Top contributors to the forum downloads. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
What movies Will you guys be watching this Halloween session

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm YouTube: Mythical Monkey /mm

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
@ Agy: Any of these look familiar, besides the obvious? :)

This list includes movies that are adaptations of stories written by Lovecraft. 

Bride of Re-Animator (1990)
Both Jeffrey Combs and Bruce Abbott return in this mediocre sequel to Re-Animator, which actually owes more to The Bride of Frankenstein. However, some scenes, including the final one in the tomb of the Averills, were directly inspired by the original story, “Herbert West—Reanimator”.

The Crimson Cult (1968)
Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, and Barbara Steele star in this film which is ostensibly based on Lovecraft’s “The Dreams in the Witch House”. This is one of Karloff’s last films (if not the last).

The presence of Wil Wheaton, Claude Akins, and John Schneider don’t bode well for this dull adaptation of Lovecraft’s “The Colour Out of Space”. Inexplicably, the location of the story was moved to Tellico Plains, Tennesee, and the family name was changed to Hayes.

Dagon (2001)
Based more on “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” than on “Dagon”, Ezra Godden plays the protagonist and Francisco Rabal plays a difficult-to-understand version of Zadok Allen. The setting is terrific and the film is better looking than earlier Gordon productions, but the chase scene from “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” is strung out for much of the film yet lacks the manic energy of other Gordon films.

Die, Monster, Die! (1965)
Also known as Monster of Terror, this film takes Lovecraft’s “The Colour Out of Space” and emphasizes the science-fiction aspects rather than the horror. Boris Karloff stars as scientist Nahum Witley, as opposed to farmer Nahum Gardner. This film is another example of a classic horror actor crippled by an awful script.

The Dunwich Horror (1970)
Many of the elements of Lovecraft’s “The Dunwich Horror” were kept intact, including several of the character names: Wilbur Whateley (Dean Stockwell), Dr. Henry Armitage (Ed Begley, Sr.), Lavinia Whateley (Joanne Moore Jordan), and Old Wizard Whateley (Sam Jaffe). However, the addition of a female lead (Sandra Dee) and psychedelic special effects end up making this film pretty average.

From Beyond (1986)
Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton of Re-Animator fame return in another Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon horror-fest. The events of Lovecraft’s short story “From Beyond” effectively take place before the opening credits roll, thus this fairly entertaining film could be considered a sequel to the story.

The Haunted Palace (1963)
For marketing reasons, director Roger Corman named this film after an Edgar Allan Poe poem, but it is actually based on Lovecraft’s The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Vincent Price stars as Charles Dexter Ward and Lon Chaney, Jr. stars as Simon Orne, but even these veteran actors can’t raise this film very far above average. Instead of Price acting in a dual role as both Ward and Joseph Curwen, the spirit of Curwen possesses him.

Lurking Fear (1994)
One of the poorer Lovecraft adaptations yet, this film is only loosely based on Lovecraft’s “The Lurking Fear”. Other than the town of Lefferts Corners and the presence of the degenerate Martense family, this film bears little resemblance to the original story. Even the manic performance of Lovecraftian actor Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator and From Beyond) and Hellraiser’s Ashley Lauren[ce] can’t save this terrible film.

Necronomicon (1993)
An anthology of three tales, with an unintentionally laughable wrapper story called “The Library” featuring Jeffrey Combs as Lovecraft himself. Combs obtains a copy of the Necronomicon and is apparently reading these three tales from it! The first segment, “The Drowned,” is based very loosely on “The Rats in the Walls” and has a few genuinely atmospheric moments – but no rats! The second segment, “The Cold,” is based a little more solidly on “Cool Air” and stars David Warner, but a female protagonist was added. The last segment, “Whispers,” was supposedly based on “The Whisperer in Darkness”, but apparently underwent so much revision that the resemblance was lost. Altogether, a very average film.

Re-Animator (1985)
Despite taking enormous liberties with Lovecraft’s “Herbert West—Reanimator”, this is one of the most entertaining and financially successful of Lovecraft films. Produced by Brian Yuzna and directed by Stuart Gordon, this scary and funny film stars Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West, Bruce Abbott as Dan Cain, Barbara Crampton as Megan Halsey, and David Gale as Doctor Carl Hill.

The Resurrected (1992)
Based on Lovecraft’s The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, this film is perhaps the most faithful Lovecraft film to date. Directed by Dan O’Bannon (who wrote the script for Alien) and starring Chris Sarandon (The Sentinel and The Princess Bride) as Charles Dexter Ward and Joseph Curwen. The scenes in the tunnels beneath Curwen’s house are especially impressive.

The Unnamable (1988)
Little more than a monster-kills-teenagers-having-sex movie, this film does manage to incorporate a few Lovecraftian references and the Necronomicon, although its relationship to Lovecraft’s “The Unnamable” are minimal.

The Unnamable II: The Statement of Randolph Carter (1993)
Taking place immediately after the events of The Unnamable, this sequel incorporates more elements of its namesake, “The Statement of Randolph Carter” than its forerunner. Still, these elements do not make up the foremost portion of the film, and the presences of John Rhys-Davies and David Warner don’t make this any better than an above-average film.

@ Mysterio: I plan on watching all the Halloweens, as it's traditional, Hallows End, House Of 1000 Corpses, pretty much my collection is way too big to name. lol How about you?

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
  • Awards Top contributors to the forum downloads. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
This year I don't know as my cusin is going through some stuff and use ally we watch paranormal from one to two then try and scare each other but it never works as the movie isn't that scary at all so I'm asking you guys to see what there is that is good

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
This year I don't know as my cusin is going through some stuff and use ally we watch paranormal from one to two then try and scare each other but it never works as the movie isn't that scary at all so I'm asking you guys to see what there is that is good
Most of what is listed here is really good stuff to watch. Whether it be Cheesy, creepy, or plain terrifying for it's time. Something will catch your eye, plus I plan on posting more. I think I may post tomorrows film today, I have a nice scary one. OH HEY! I should submit a pumpkin smiley to Bob, see if you turns it into a smiley on here. :D

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
Most of what is listed here is really good stuff to watch. Whether it be Cheesy, creepy, or plain terrifying for it's time. Something will catch your eye, plus I plan on posting more. I think I may post tomorrows film today, I have a nice scary one. OH HEY! I should submit a pumpkin smiley to Bob, see if you turns it into a smiley on here. :D
cool idea you should do for all holiday

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
Today's Short Horror Horror Film Is: Terrifier

After witnessing a brutal murder on Halloween night, a young woman becomes the next target of a maniacal entity.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
I'm one who can't do clowns

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »
I'm one who can't do clowns
this one will get you good to, very creepy. I loved it!

MinerofMordor

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: XPhyscoticXOwlX
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
@ Agy: Any of these look familiar, besides the obvious? :)

This list includes movies that are adaptations of stories written by Lovecraft. 

Bride of Re-Animator (1990)
Both Jeffrey Combs and Bruce Abbott return in this mediocre sequel to Re-Animator, which actually owes more to The Bride of Frankenstein. However, some scenes, including the final one in the tomb of the Averills, were directly inspired by the original story, “Herbert West—Reanimator”.

The Crimson Cult (1968)
Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, and Barbara Steele star in this film which is ostensibly based on Lovecraft’s “The Dreams in the Witch House”. This is one of Karloff’s last films (if not the last).

The presence of Wil Wheaton, Claude Akins, and John Schneider don’t bode well for this dull adaptation of Lovecraft’s “The Colour Out of Space”. Inexplicably, the location of the story was moved to Tellico Plains, Tennesee, and the family name was changed to Hayes.

Dagon (2001)
Based more on “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” than on “Dagon”, Ezra Godden plays the protagonist and Francisco Rabal plays a difficult-to-understand version of Zadok Allen. The setting is terrific and the film is better looking than earlier Gordon productions, but the chase scene from “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” is strung out for much of the film yet lacks the manic energy of other Gordon films.

Die, Monster, Die! (1965)
Also known as Monster of Terror, this film takes Lovecraft’s “The Colour Out of Space” and emphasizes the science-fiction aspects rather than the horror. Boris Karloff stars as scientist Nahum Witley, as opposed to farmer Nahum Gardner. This film is another example of a classic horror actor crippled by an awful script.

The Dunwich Horror (1970)
Many of the elements of Lovecraft’s “The Dunwich Horror” were kept intact, including several of the character names: Wilbur Whateley (Dean Stockwell), Dr. Henry Armitage (Ed Begley, Sr.), Lavinia Whateley (Joanne Moore Jordan), and Old Wizard Whateley (Sam Jaffe). However, the addition of a female lead (Sandra Dee) and psychedelic special effects end up making this film pretty average.

From Beyond (1986)
Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton of Re-Animator fame return in another Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon horror-fest. The events of Lovecraft’s short story “From Beyond” effectively take place before the opening credits roll, thus this fairly entertaining film could be considered a sequel to the story.

The Haunted Palace (1963)
For marketing reasons, director Roger Corman named this film after an Edgar Allan Poe poem, but it is actually based on Lovecraft’s The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Vincent Price stars as Charles Dexter Ward and Lon Chaney, Jr. stars as Simon Orne, but even these veteran actors can’t raise this film very far above average. Instead of Price acting in a dual role as both Ward and Joseph Curwen, the spirit of Curwen possesses him.

Lurking Fear (1994)
One of the poorer Lovecraft adaptations yet, this film is only loosely based on Lovecraft’s “The Lurking Fear”. Other than the town of Lefferts Corners and the presence of the degenerate Martense family, this film bears little resemblance to the original story. Even the manic performance of Lovecraftian actor Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator and From Beyond) and Hellraiser’s Ashley Lauren[ce] can’t save this terrible film.

Necronomicon (1993)
An anthology of three tales, with an unintentionally laughable wrapper story called “The Library” featuring Jeffrey Combs as Lovecraft himself. Combs obtains a copy of the Necronomicon and is apparently reading these three tales from it! The first segment, “The Drowned,” is based very loosely on “The Rats in the Walls” and has a few genuinely atmospheric moments – but no rats! The second segment, “The Cold,” is based a little more solidly on “Cool Air” and stars David Warner, but a female protagonist was added. The last segment, “Whispers,” was supposedly based on “The Whisperer in Darkness”, but apparently underwent so much revision that the resemblance was lost. Altogether, a very average film.

Re-Animator (1985)
Despite taking enormous liberties with Lovecraft’s “Herbert West—Reanimator”, this is one of the most entertaining and financially successful of Lovecraft films. Produced by Brian Yuzna and directed by Stuart Gordon, this scary and funny film stars Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West, Bruce Abbott as Dan Cain, Barbara Crampton as Megan Halsey, and David Gale as Doctor Carl Hill.

The Resurrected (1992)
Based on Lovecraft’s The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, this film is perhaps the most faithful Lovecraft film to date. Directed by Dan O’Bannon (who wrote the script for Alien) and starring Chris Sarandon (The Sentinel and The Princess Bride) as Charles Dexter Ward and Joseph Curwen. The scenes in the tunnels beneath Curwen’s house are especially impressive.

The Unnamable (1988)
Little more than a monster-kills-teenagers-having-sex movie, this film does manage to incorporate a few Lovecraftian references and the Necronomicon, although its relationship to Lovecraft’s “The Unnamable” are minimal.

The Unnamable II: The Statement of Randolph Carter (1993)
Taking place immediately after the events of The Unnamable, this sequel incorporates more elements of its namesake, “The Statement of Randolph Carter” than its forerunner. Still, these elements do not make up the foremost portion of the film, and the presences of John Rhys-Davies and David Warner don’t make this any better than an above-average film.

@ Mysterio: I plan on watching all the Halloweens, as it's traditional, Hallows End, House Of 1000 Corpses, pretty much my collection is way too big to name. lol How about you?
Other Lovecraftians play this game? I love this community, also have you Lord of Tears it's very lovecraftish.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Other Lovecraftians play this game? I love this community, also have you Lord of Tears it's very lovecraftish.
quote what you are trying to talk about is its that long

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
Today's Classic Horror Film Is: The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (German: Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari) is a 1920 German silent horror film directed by Robert Wiene from a screenplay by Hans Janowitz and Carl Mayer. It is one of the most influential films of the German Expressionist movement and, according to Roger Ebert, is "the first true horror film".

The film used stylized sets, with abstract, jagged buildings painted on canvas backdrops and flats. To add to this strange style, the actors used an unrealistic technique that exhibited "jerky" and dance-like movements. This film is cited as having introduced the twist ending in cinema.

A must see for TRUE horror fans, it marks the beginning of real horror on the big screen.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
Dose it have clowns I hate clowns please say no if it doesn't

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm