Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic: [Game] Tips for reducing lag on large builds  (Read 22486 times)

Clerical

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Pixel Artist And Tester
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: TM Clerical
Re: Tips for reducing lag on large builds
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »
Once a map gets built up significantly, the GPU can start struggling to draw all the graphics, causing lower frame rates or draw lag.

It's all about visible faces. A face is the side of a block. If the side of a block is exposed to air, that side is a visible face and the game must draw it. The more visible faces the game has to draw, the more work it has to do; the more likely the map will start to hit the limits of the graphics hardware.

1. Hidden visible faces. How can visible faces be hidden? These are faces inside enclosed areas. The game does not know if a face is inside an enclosed area, all it knows is if the face is exposed to air. Significant landscaping can create enclosed areas. e.g. if you build a flat surface over a non flat terrain, this can leave empty areas underneath the flat surface you built, down to the ground. Any face inside this enclosed area will still have to be drawn, even though players will never see them. So to remove these hidden visible faces, fill in the enclosed areas. The Creative Fill tool is a great way to do that.

How does that work with the grass and flowers? If I use flood and it fills in around grass and flowers does it leave a visible face? How about water if I flood over water how does the system handle that? Should I fill in the water first or does it not matter?
Thanks for your time.
By creative flood, he means the creative flood feature that allows you to fill large areas with any block of your choice.

Pixel artist, Map Creator, TotalMiner Tester

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
  • Xbox: xholiday81x
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
By creative flood, he means the creative flood feature that allows you to fill large areas with any block of your choice.

I understand that, but when you use flood it floods the area. It does not change the blocks already down. So grass flowers and anything else in it's path just gets covered over not changed. I am wondering if any of these should be removed or do they not have visible faces when flooded over?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »
I understand that, but when you use flood it floods the area. It does not change the blocks already down. So grass flowers and anything else in it's path just gets covered over not changed. I am wondering if any of these should be removed or do they not have visible faces when flooded over?
They have visible faces. You can confirm by using no clip. I've changed flood in 2.0 to overwrite grass, flowers, etc.

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
They have visible faces. You can confirm by using no clip. I've changed flood in 2.0 to overwrite grass, flowers, etc.

Okay, looks like I got some work to do. I use flood a lot. Thanks for the help

James

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Trees?

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »
Trees?

That would be included in the "etc."from what I can tell. They are one of the blocks not changed, so I would assume he changed it to overwrite all blocks in flood zone. That would seem to be the simplest solution, unless codeing errors come up.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
Trees?
No, only the blocks with a 'icon' render type. Those are blocks that are drawn as 2 x 2D planes in a cross shape, like flowers, grass, torches, etc.

Holiday

• View Profile
    • Holiday Gaming Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
No, only the blocks with a 'icon' render type. Those are blocks that are drawn as 2 x 2D planes in a cross shape, like flowers, grass, torches, etc.

So leaves are okay and don't leave an open face? Just wanna be sure. That would cut down on fill in time.

OPV RAGE

• Total miner builder
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Flare x Freak
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »
So basically fill in builds?..

.ok

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »