Author Topic:  The Literature thread  (Read 1222 times)

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
  • Don't let your memes be memes
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Literature thread
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
Well I didn't know where to put this so I brought it here. I simply just want to know what books you like and have a few discussions about some books. I have just recently started reading the Unwind series. It's a very unique change to what I usually read (Under the dome and World war Z). The books has me wanting the third book already and I just finished the second. If you have read them share what you think.

Top 3 book or series:
1.Insurgent Trilogy
2.Unwind Trilogy
3.The Dark Tower Series
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:59:03 PM by Left Behind »
My Threads
Miner Of The Month for July 2013!
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

Cloud 9

• Stoner, Miner, and Philanthropist
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PandaPaw64
Re: The Literature thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:16:16 AM »
I enjoy pretty much any book that falls into my hands. As an aspiring writer, I love to see other writers' technique. ^_^ I don't know what my favorite book would be, but Homer's Odyssey was the most memorable.

And I don't care much for Shakespeare's material. I've read three of them and they didn't blow me away. The "Ye Olde" English doesn't help though.

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »
Have you read Huckleberry Finn? It will permanently screw up your vocabulary.
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

Doctor Pebphiz

• Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Homestuck Webcomic
    • Awards
  • Xbox: uracilicCacogen
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
I've got a few books that I can recommend. First up is Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. If you, like me, don't know much at all about aquatic life forms, the "explanations" of what fishes the character sees can be a bit confusing, and they sometimes go on for a whole page. But the story itself is quite interesting, and the fact that it was written before submarines were invented is absolutely incredible.

I would recommend the Harry Potter series to teens and young adults, as that seems to be the books' target audience, but adults might enjoy them, as well.

I also read Paolini's Inheritance cycle, and it was pretty good. Dull at times, and some of the characters are unlikable, but at some parts it would seem that he counts too much on the reader to caring about them.

And now, I highly, highly recommend... Dan Ryckert's Air Force Gator! This book is absolutely ridiculous. Even if you were to picture the protagonist as a human, the plot is still rather outrageous. But once you learn to imagine that an alligator is doing all of this stuff -- what the hell just happened? Oh, and it's worth pointing out that this is not a children's book. Plenty of swearing, among other things that might be inappropriate for young readers. Anyway, buy this book. It's awesome.
Emboidered Scroll
Headmaster Writer
/≡\

Violence:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Pictures I made:
http://imgur.com/a/LGWJ8#0

Cloud 9

• Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »
Have you read Huckleberry Finn? It will permanently screw up your vocabulary.
I read it a year or two ago. It's an enjoyable book, but it's far from my favorite.

The Doctor

• Big Boss
  • Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: iDeclando
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Has anyone ever read The Maze Runner trilogy? I highly recommend it if you're a fan of The Hunger Games, or any sort of post-apocalyptic dystopia settings. The story works great as a trilogy, so if you're going to read one you'll certainly have to read them all.

Free Signatures, Desktop Backgrounds, Anything you want here http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=909.0

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
Has anyone ever read The Maze Runner trilogy? I highly recommend it if you're a fan of The Hunger Games, or any sort of post-apocalyptic dystopia settings. The story works great as a trilogy, so if you're going to read one you'll certainly have to read them all.

Yep. Read and I loved it.
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

The Doctor

• Big Boss
  • Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »

Great! You're the only person I've ever met who's actually read it, everyone I ask is just like 'Nope, never heard of it' :(

Free Signatures, Desktop Backgrounds, Anything you want here http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=909.0

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »

Great! You're the only person I've ever met who's actually read it, everyone I ask is just like 'Nope, never heard of it' :(

Could a swore that I had read part of a prequel of it.

Edit: Here it is. The Kill Order
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:41:11 AM by Left Behind »
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

The Doctor

• Big Boss
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »

Wasn't interested in the prequel but I might pick it up, the point of The Maze Runner was to be thrown in like Thomas was apparently, so I don't see how a prequel would even contribute.

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »

[/quote

Wasn't interested in the prequel but I might pick it up, the point of The Maze Runner was to be thrown in like Thomas was apparently, so I don't see how a prequel would even contribute.

The point of the prequel is to show the origins of each character and how they had been taken. The few pages I read talked about how Thomas was taken.(I believe) I also believe that the book is also about what is going on as the Flare starts to hit
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

The Doctor

• Big Boss
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »

[/quote

The point of the prequel is to show the origins of each character and how they had been taken. The few pages I read talked about how Thomas was taken.(I believe) I also believe that the book is also about what is going on as the Flare starts to hit

Book 2 talked about how he was taken anyway.

Spoiler for Hidden Content:
His dad had the flare and already was past The Gone, and his mother had recently caught it, which told W.I.C.K.E.D that Thomas had to be immune.

I didn't know it told the origins of other characters, the Blurb just mentioned two characters I never heard of before. I'll have my girlfriend order it for me, so we can read it :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:31:52 PM by The Doctor »

A Simple Gamer

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
Well let me know how it is.......
My Threads
I Play Destiny too much
Long live Spooky Ghost!

Cloud 9

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
I found Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde to be an interesting yet quick read. It's not too difficult to read, and it is more fun to watch alongside the silent film adaptation, which as a side note is a fantastic movie.

Speaking of Stevenson, Treasure Island is on my list of books that I need to read again. I read it back in fifth grade when I was but an all-absorbing sapling.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:49:30 PM by Cloud 9 »

addme5000

• Awards 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
here are my recent reads (last 2 weeks)
1 legand
2 confessions of a murder suspect
3 the fault in our stars
i have more but cant think of any