Author Topic: [Construction] There and Back Again: The Lord of the Rings Builds  (Read 12782 times)

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
[Construction] Re: There and Back Again: The Lord of the Rings Builds
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »
Every time I come to this topic, I remain baffled at the amazingness that is your work. I especially like your work on Amon Hen: The Seat of Seeing, as it brings back memories of an old Lord of the Rings game I use to play on the Playstation 2. It has a nice nostalgia factor to it. Next time your working on this map, you should totally invite me so I can see in person the majesty that is your work. ;)

Thanks GK!
While the last update to the thread doesn't contain those larger-than-life fortresses or statues, I find building those small sets in the movie like Amon Hen, The Stair Falls, or Bucklebury Ferry to be quite enjoyable.
There something about the little extra ruins that are glanced over that I enjoy creating.

I have a cumulative map that contains every build on this thread (with the exception of the Halls of Durin/Chamber of Mazarbul, which is a 36MB map in its own), so when I do host it, I will invite you :D
You make me smile!

The Gold Knight

• Legendary Member
  • My Forgeplex is better ;)
  • Awards 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 5 years on site Top contributors to the forum downloads. 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
Re: There and Back Again: The Lord of the Rings Builds
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »
Now that I've actually been at these builds, I'm twice as excited for the completion of all the builds. Just being at Weathertop itself was enough to have me giddy inside like a little school girl ;) Keep up the outstanding work my friend!

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
Weathertop: In the Lost Realm of Arnor

After the defeat of Sauron at the end of the Second Age, the kingdoms of men both saw prosperity and turmoil. The Kingdom of Arnor to the North, originally ruled by Elendil until his death at the hands of Sauron, struggled to remain a united front. By 861 of the Third Age, Arnor was split into three autonomous lands: Rhudaur, Cardolan, and the strongest of the three Arthedain with its capital at Fornost.

Amon Sul, as Weathertop was known by in its hayday, served as both a watchtower and a strategic intelligence point. For it contained one of the three Palantiri crystals to rapidly communicate between Minas Anor and Minas Ithil in Gondor.

Even in Sauron's defeat, he was not without his servants to command. For he awakened his most powerful commander, the Witch-King, in the northern wastes of Angmar. There the Witch-King was able to conjure his dark magics to subdue the weakest of the three kingdoms, Rhudaur. All out assaults on Rhudaur and Cardolan left the peoples scattered and seeking refuge from the Ork onslaught in Arthedain.

Assault on Amon Sul began in 1409 of the Third Age, for Sauron desired to claim the Palantir for his own. King Arveleg I was slain defending the watchtower, and it was destroyed. However the Witch-King was too late, for the Palantiri was moved to Fornost where it would remain until it's fall in 1974 TA, lost to the world when the then-king fled across the frozen wastes to the North and drowned with the Palantir in hand.

And so, the watchtower was left barren from its battle scars wrought by the Witch-King of Angmar, sixteen-hundred years before Frodo's journey to it. The peoples of Eriador nicknamed the ruined hill "Weathertop" due to its constant windiness upon its summit. But no one was left to remember what exactly its purpose served. The Realm of Arnor was no more, nothing but scattered ruins and forgotten kings.

In the year 3018 of the Third Age, the company of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pipin, and Strider make haste for Rivendell to deliver the One Ring to the elves. Being pursued by the Ringwraiths, they stop at Weathertop to avoid being caught along the main roads.

Frodo - "What are you doing!?!?!"
Merry - "We've made some nice crispy bacon." "We've saved some for you Mr. Fro-"
Frodo - "PUT IT OUT YOU FOOLS!"
*hears the Ringwraith screech*

Cornered at the top of the watchtower, the four Hobbits drew their swords in defense. However the sheer terror upon looking at the Ringwraiths left them unable to fight back. In desperation, Frodo pulls out the Ring and places it on his finger.

"Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha-gum-ishi ashi gurum."
"There is no life in the cold darkness. Here in the Void, only death."

The Witch-King attempts to take the Ring from Frodo, and when Frodo resists he is stabbed with a Morgul Blade.
Strider rushes in to fend off the Wraiths, and they flee. It is here when Arwen (or Glorfindel in the actual novel) comes to rush Frodo to Rivendell before the effects of the blade take hold.

Do you dare venture into the Void to see these extra pictures?
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

I started construction by first making the top of the watchtower with the ruins. I took care to make as "pristine" as I could before taking TNT and a grenade launcher to the ruins. The explosives make the damage quite convincing  :)
I then added some shaded grass, fallen columns, vines, off-colored bricks, and blew a hole in the floor to give a weathered look.

Then came the hardest part: making the hill it sat on. The geography of the hill was more complex than I imagined, as the base sits wider, comes to it's smallest point underneath the ruins, then bows out alongside it. It also has enough room to allow an alcove for Merry, Pipin, and Sam's fire.
Shots from the movie helped out here to get more precise looks. As for the back side, I kind of just made it look nice since there really wasn't any photos. Also the ruins sat a bit higher than I would have liked, so non-cannon photos suggested that there were tiny arches under the ruins as well. So I added them underneath, which worked to my advantage since it gives the ruins above more "volume" abeit most of it sunk into the rock below.

Here you can see the "tiny arches" under the ruins themselves.

The ruins before they were blown to bits.

References:
Movie Shot of Weathertop
Another One
Helpful Miniature

Middle Earth Project Progress

Housekeeping notice: I've updated the OP to include thumbnails for each respective build. Revamped where Barad Dur and Isengard are in the thread to their own individual posts, so builds and forum member's responses may be switched around.
Also Isengard has a few more pictures :D

Spoiler for Hidden Content:
Colors subject to change for Rivendell

Bilbo's Hobbit Hole

Yep, custom avatars

Builds Completed

- Barad Dr: The Eye of Sauron
- Minas Morgul
- The Black Gates of Mordor
- The Tower of Cirith Ungol
- Isengard
- Balrog of Morgoth
- the Argonath
- The Shire
   -- the Green Dragon Inn + Brandywine Bridge
   -- The Old Saw Mill
- Zirak-Zigil
- Pareth Galen
- Amon Hen
- Mines of Moria
      -- The Westgate
      -- The Halls of Durin
      -- Chamber of Mazarbul
- Weathertop

Builds In Progress

- Helms Deep (I feel like this needs more work before I "release it into the wild")
- Rivendell (finished the welcome entrance, now for the other 6 buildings and the giant waterfall it sit on.....)
- Hobbiton
      -- Bag End
- Isengard's Before/After desolation
- The Bridge of Kazad-Dm

Builds Not Started

- Mount Doom
- Durthang
- the Stairs of Cirith Ungol
- Shelob's Lair
- Minas Tirith
- Paths of the Dead
- Carn Dm
- Dol Guldur
- Durin's causeway (I have something special in mind for this)
- Lothlorein
- Edoras
- Osgilliath
- Erebor
- Esgaroth/Lake Town
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:33:06 PM by Dauntless395 »
You make me smile!

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »
All of these builds are so fantastic! It's quite remarkable the detail that you put into them, I don't know how you do it. I have much respect for you and your talents, and that you chose to do this for the Lord Of The Rings universe. Bravo!