Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic: [Construction] There and Back Again: The Lord of the Rings Builds  (Read 14819 times)

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
There and Back Again: The Lord of the Rings Builds
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:53:56 PM »

This thread will be dedicated to my Lord of the Rings builds, as I attempt a long-term project to recreate Middle Earth on an infinite world.
My plan is to start with the major installations (i.e. fortresses, landmarks) then move onto the cities. Eventually I want to open up portions of it as an Adventure map to either throw the One Ring into Mount Doom, or journey as Bilbo Baggins to Erebor to reconquer the lost kingdom of the dwarves.

and with that... let us begin, but not quite in 'a hole in the ground'....

Begin your journey through Middle Earth by clicking the thumbnail of the build you would like to see.

External Links

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:22:35 PM by Dauntless395 »
You make me smile!

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
Re: There and Back Again: The Lord of the Rings Builds
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
Barad Dur: The Eye of Sauron

Barad Dur, the Dark Tower, which suffered no rival, and laughed at flattery, biding its time, secure in its pride and its immeasurable strength.

Built by Sauron himself, the tower of Barad Dur was the second largest fortress Middle Earth had ever seen, second only to Saurons master's fortress, Morgoth's Angband. It took over six hundred years to be built. Every inch was wrought with Sauron's malice, hate, and contempt for all living things in Middle Earth.

After Sauron's defeat by the Last Alliance at the end of the Second Age, the tower was besieged and all but completely destroyed. Because the One Ring had not been destroyed, the foundations of Barad Dur could not be broken.

Soon after Sauron's return to Mordor from Mirkwood in the Third Age, the tower has reconstructed.

Higher and higher the tower climbed. Each piece a warped, twisted conglomerate, stacking higher and higher to Sauron's bidding.

And the Great Eye, ever watchful for his Ring's return....

I started construction at the base. I made each part of the tower layer by layer. Starting with the knife-like projections coming out the front of the tower, I worked my way up. I made sure to add subtle details to make it look more menacing. Ramps came in handy a lot to give those jagged edges.

I also put my dig deep version of Barad Dur next to it, to give a nice scaling impression. And to further show how far my skills in building have become.

The rest of the Barad Dur pictures are in the spoiler, as to not crash one's browser trying to load all the pictures:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Reference Picture I used to design the tower
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:19:18 PM by Dauntless395 »
You make me smile!

Jectz

• Supreme Member
  • snD God
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Xtrxmez
  • Steam: Rejectz12
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »
Although i haven't seen like a thing of Lord of The Rings, this is a really awesome build.
I'm pretty good at stuff.

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »
You have been busy with quite a few good builds lately Daunt.

Quadraphinic

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Quadraphinic
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »
That's looking really good daunt, the tower has come a long way since I saw it last. Looking forward to the rest.
Cheers Quad
Assume Nothing, Question Everything, Start Thinking
"The delightful and ever-novel pleasure of a useless occupation." Henri de Regnier
I'm fluent in 3 languages...English, Sarcasm, & Profanity
I do not fear insanity, I rather enjoy it!

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:50:13 AM »
Morgul Vale: the Desecrated Fortress of Minas Morgul

- "Paler indeed than the moon ailing in some slow eclipse was the light of it now, wavering and blowing like a noisome exhalation of decay. A corpse-light. A light that illuminated nothing"

In the time of peace and prosperity, this fortress stood as Minas Ithil "Tower of the Moon", the fortress of Isildur (the one who cut off Sauron's finger with the One Ring on it) to help protect Osgilliath from the shades of Mordor. Isildur sat on his throne in Minas Ithil, and Anarion sat on his in Minas Anor (Minas Tirith later).
Situated in the Epel Duath, the path allows the only accessible route through the Mountains of Shadow into Mordor besides the Black Gates. A perfect spot to stop invaders coming from the wastelands of the east.

During its hayday, the fortress glowed in the moonlight a soft white color. A spectacular beauty. Until the return of the Nazgul to Mordor. They sieged the fortress and took it from Gondor, who was experiencing a widespread Plague and disarray. The name was changed to Minas Morgul, which in Sindarian means "Tower of Black Sorcery". Now the fortress illuminates with a pale color; for the moon has no effect anymore on this city of the dead.

The Witch-King of Angmar, the most powerful of  Sauron's ring wraiths, took his throne there. The fortress was transfigured into a decaying, desecrated fortress of evil. The tributary that ran alongside the fortress became polluted as a result of the evil witchcraft that occurred inside. This tributary became infamous as the Mogulduin, a poisonous river that flows into the Anduin.

The mask of the Witch-King, which matches the crown of thorns on the top of the fortress

Witnesses claim that the fortress has an eerie feeling to it, as if the onlookers feel like they're being watched. The air is dead still, and the polluted river calm. One can't help but try to shake the feeling.

The statues out front are described as having a rotting flesh smell, a ghastly combination of half man, half beast look. I chose to utilize my Basilisk head from my Chamber of Secrets on my dig deep map Civilizations. Next to these statues are the secret stair steps of Cirith Ungol, the way into Mordor.

The rest of the pictures you know you have a secret desire to look at:

I do like how the glow came out. I just used a bunch of torches, and the fancy designs came out nice on the sides of the walls.

I ended up making the fortress much wider than Barad Dur, although it's still about 100-ish blocks shorter. The real fortress is supposed to be inside a cleft in the mountains, but I was having trouble making one big enough (as the fortress is about 480 blocks wide) so I may photoshop some into the pictures later.
Also it took 26 components to save this guy.

Reference Pictures:
I used this Minecraft picture to get a bird's eye view of fortress
Statues
Movie shot
One of the best sites for LOTR models. They basically show you how to make the thing!

So there you have it! I uhh... I have things to do... *fumbles with contents of shirt pocket* I've put this off for far too long now. I'm going now. Goodbye. *puts on the Ring, disappears*
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:19:55 PM by Dauntless395 »
You make me smile!

RXZ x REPLAYZz

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:37:08 AM »
You should do the elven place in the mountains
or you can do the place where in the hobbit he goes and try's to steal something from the dragon, inside of there with all the gold and the dragon would be pretty cool

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
The Tower of Orthanc: Isengard

"Tell me. When did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for madness!"

In the days of old this tower was constructed by the Numenoreans to safeguard the northwestern reaches of Gondor. Together with Helms Deep, they protected the Fords of Isen and the Gap of Rohan from invasion.

Isengard means "Iron Fortress" in Sindarian. It refers to the circular wall that surrounds the central tower. Water flows into the ring, giving the fortress a dynamic appearance of being both sinister and harmonious.

The actual tower is called Orthanc, which means "Mount Fang". It was built by the Dunedains, who occupied Isengard for a period of time battling Rohan. The tower is made of an unknown rock that is extremely hard. No magic or physical object can destroy it, although the Ents were able to flake a few pieces off the base.

Eventually the Dunedians lost control, and control was once again recovered by Gondor. Then, the White wizard, Saruman the Wise, asked for control of the tower. The stewards agreed and gave him the keys to the tower.

The tower had a Palantiri stone as well, which functioned like medieval skype-calling with the crystal ball. Saruman used this to watch over the enemy. However, it was found to be his demise, as Sauron tempted Saruman with the power of the One Ring.

Isengard, has been unleashed.

Saruman transformed Isengard into a desolate wasteland. Uprooting every tree, damming the river, and carving into the earth, Saruman started building his own personal Ork army. He successfully intermixed goblins and orks together to make Uruk-hai, a super-soldier version of the Orks.

Saruman believed that by joining with Sauron, he could share the power of the One Ring over all Middle Earth.
Hence, this union became known as the union of the Two Towers: Barad-Dur and Isengard.

"Isengard, only a little copy, a child's model or a slave's flattery, of that vast fortress, furnace of great power, Barad-Dur. The Dark Tower which suffered no rival."

What knowledge will the Palantiri stone show you? Images of a day's past? Or a Shadow that grows in the dark.....

Constructing the tower wasn't too difficult. I made sure the sides sloped at a steep angle while preserving the detail. Reference pictures came in handy.

An 11-Page Step by Step on How to Make the Tower

I can take suggestions as to builds from Middle Earth that you would like to see! On one condition: I will not be doing Minas Tirith right now. It looks way to complicated currently :P Plenty have built it on Minecraft if you are interested in seeing them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:12:25 PM by Dauntless395 »
You make me smile!

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: DiamondBack662
  • Steam: DiamondBack662
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »

Fantastic Job! This really looks Excellent!

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
Really nice builds, shots & thread, Dauntless. Hope to see more. tis' outstanding.
:thumbsup: