Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic: [PC] Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion  (Read 71441 times)

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
Re: Total Miner: Forge PC Edition - Discussion
« Reply #610 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Yes. It will be possible as soon as Multiplayer is released. How difficult it will be is yet to be seen. But it will be possible.

Wouldn't it cost money to keep a server open?

Well if it took a Minecraft Realms approach, then yes money would go towards servers hosted by Craig Iíd imagine which I doubt will happen. But if Craig finds a way so people can host it on their computer without the game running and their computer is remained on, then itíll just be electricity bill.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #611 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
Yes. It will be possible as soon as Multiplayer is released. How difficult it will be is yet to be seen. But it will be possible.

Wouldn't it cost money to keep a server open?

If you went with a 3rd party who wasn't affiliated with Craig or TM then yes.

There's no guarantee that Craig will provide a service like that but if he did then it would also cost him money so he would be likely to charge for it aswell.

A reliable service with good servers and infrastructure costs a decent amount of money to run.

But if Craig finds a way so people can host it on their computer without the game running and their computer is remained on, then itíll just be electricity bill.

A proper server would still cost less than what it'd cost someone to leave their PC on 24/7 in electric. It would also provide much better infrastructure and connectivity.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »

Id be willing to try it out. <$10 isn't a terrible price in the case of Minecraft.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
Id be willing to try it out. <$10 isn't a terrible price in the case of Minecraft.

Pricing would likely scale up on what's needed like slots & ram etc... When comparing it with other gameservers i'd expect the lowest to be around $5 for 8-10 slots and 1-2gb ram. For $10 i'd expect around 20 slots and 4gb ram.

It could be less or more depending on how resource hungry it is but from my experience of selling gameservers that would be pretty much average pricing.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
I guess it could be a way to bring in money from the game. Even if there are like 12 people that buy it.

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 13, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
I guess it could be a way to bring in money from the game. Even if there are like 12 people that buy it.

Yeah It would only be the select few that 1) Have the money to do so and 2) Have a map they'd want up 24/7.

Probably a small enough number that person, not necessarily Craig, could keep up with it.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 13, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
If only a few people wanted their worlds hosted 24/7 that would mean a loss for Craig.

If the infrastructure isn't already there then that means an initial investment of a few hundred $ and a monthly expense of around $100 for the server and all needed software.

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
« Reply #617 on: December 13, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
If only a few people wanted their worlds hosted 24/7 that would mean a loss for Craig.

If the infrastructure isn't already there then that means an initial investment of a few hundred $ and a monthly expense of around $100 for the server and all needed software.

Exactly, this is why I donít see it happening plus Minecraft can get away with it since itís got the most playerbase for a voxel game. Total Miner is best doing it the way it is hosted on client side.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 13, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »

Is there not an outside third party that could host a server to negate the initial investment?

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 13, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
Exactly, this is why I donít see it happening plus Minecraft can get away with it since itís got the most playerbase for a voxel game. Total Miner is best doing it the way it is hosted on client side.

In the start, Yes I doubt the demand is high enough to warrant it. But I think not having the ability to host 24/7 is a limiting factor for game. I would be willing to pay to have it up over time. I just don't have the means to leave my computer plugged in all the time to host the game. Maybe that's a "me problem" but I think eventually, not anytime soon, a purchasable server would be nice.

P.S. We never got to play halo 5 together Fergs, we will have to get on that!