Author Topic:  [How to] Use Zones, Permissions & Private Slots  (Read 1126 times)

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[How to] Use Zones, Permissions & Private Slots
« on: May 01, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »
Zones, Permissions & Private Slots offer Admins complete control over who is able to join their world, who is able to edit, where they are able to edit & what they are able to edit with.

They are powerful anti-greifing tools for your worlds. Understanding these options & using them correctly is necessary for ensuring your world is kept free of any unwanted changes.

A world which has been set up to effectively use the Permissions & Zones together can Not be griefed.

If your world is able to be damaged by others it is because you, the host, are allowing them the ability to do so.

Familiarising yourself with these tools will enable you to ensure everything in your world is kept 'safe while still offering players maximum freedoms & options to interact within it.

Content:

Zones

What are Zones?

A Zone is an area in your world which has been selected to contain a specific set of attributes within it.

Zones determine where players will Spawn, where they can Fly, where they are able to attack one another, where they can Edit & who can Edit where.

Zones are created & managed by the Host & Admins of the world.

Where can they be used?

Zones can be used in all world types.

They can be used anywhere in any world.

Zones can be of any size and multiple zones can overlap each other.

How are they used?

To create a Zone, place Marker Blocks to define the zones area, then press Pause -> Game -> Zones -> New Zone. Enter a name for the zone, and the zone is created.

There is no limit to how big a Zone can be. It can cover the whole world or be a small as 2 blocks.

At least 2 Marker Blocks are needed to define a zone.

Once a zone has been created it will appear in your list of Zones where you can edit its attributes.
Admins can edit or remove Zones at any time by pressing Pause -> Game -> Zones -> Edit Zones

Zone settings

Edit:
This is used to either allow or disallow players the ability to add or remove blocks within the Zone.
Players that do not have Edit Permissions will not be able to edit in the zone either way.

Fly:
This is used to either allow or disallow players the ability to fly within the Zone.
Players that do not have Fly Permissions will not be able to fly in the zone either way.

Spawn:
Players will spawn in these zones when they first join a world, escape to surface or die.
Multiple Spawn Zones can be used in a world. Players will spawn at the nearest spawn zone after death.

A Spawn Zone cannot contain Any solid blocks. The Spawn option will not be selectable if the area is not clear of blocks & of at least 2 blocks in height.

Spawn Zones are non-editable. The Edit option will not be selectable if the zone has Spawn enabled.

PvP:
Player vs Player Combat. When Combat is On in the game settings, this Zone setting determines which areas players Can & Cannot engage in combat.
A message is displayed informing the player that it is a 'Non-PvP Zone' if they are trying to attack another player within it.

Builder:
Any player currently in your world can be assingned to a Zone as its Builder. The player will also require Edit Permissions.
If a Builder is assigned to a Non-Edit Zone, then only that player & Admins can edit inside that zone.

Script:
Select a saved script to run whenever a player enters the zone.

Zone Priorities:
Admins are not effected by Zones.

Some Zone options will override others where the zones may overlap. For example;
  • Edit Zones take precedence over Non-Edit zones -(Edit zones can be placed inside No Edit zones)
  • PvP Zones take precedence over Non-PvP zones -(PvP zones can be placed inside No-PvP zones)
  • Fly Zones take precedence over No-Fly zones -(Fly Zones can be placed inside No-Fly zones)

Viewing Zones:
Press Pause -> Game -> Zones, then toggle View Zones to On
This will allow Admins (& players) to see the boundaries of each zone.

The colour of the zone is determined by its attributes.

A zone which has the Spawn option enabled will always be White.

A zone with PvP enabled will be Yellow

A zone with PvP & Edit enabled will be Blue

All other configurations of zone options will have a Red zone.

Permissions

What are Permissions?

Permissions are used to determine what individual players are able to do in your world, how they can interact, & with what they can interact with.

Permissions are a powerful anti-griefing tool & have been designed to work effectively with Zones to eliminate any potential for players to damage your world.

Players are given permissions by Admins.
Admins can set the defualt permissions players will have upon joining the world. Admins can also edit the permissions of individual players currently in the world at any given time.

Where can they be used?

Permissions can be used in any game type.

Access to the Permission settings is availble only to Admins.
Players are able to view the permission menu to see which permissions they have been allowed, but cannot alter any settings.

How are they used?

When hosting a game for multiplayer, the Default Permissions for the world & the permissions of any other player in the lobby can be viewed & adjusted by pressing X

After loading a world, Admins can press Pause -> Player -> Permissions at any time to view and edit the default permissions given to newly joining players, & of the individual players currently in the world.

The Permission Menu offers selectable options

These options are explained below.

Non-Participant:
A Player who has none of the Permission enabled is able to;
Explore your world on foot
Read Books
Read NPC text
Access Crates
Kill Mobs

Adventure:
Players with this permission enabled are also able to;
Collect Pickups
Access Economised Shops
Access Furnaces, Bookcases & unlocked Chests

Edit:
Place blocks in zones which allow it  (not including Grief blocks*)
Remove blocks from zones which allow it  (not including Grief blocks*)
Economise Shops
Select textures, keys, paintings & teleport channels from the existing selection determined by Admins.
Toggle Nameplate visibility to Far
Use Marker Blocks to make measurements
Use Creative menu to Remove their Markers

*Grief blocks include: Spider Eggs, Steel Spikes, NPC Spawners, Turrets, Mines

Creative:
Place any block type in zones which allow it
Remove any block type from zones which allow it
Edit / Copy Books
Edit NPC text
Access the System shops (but are unable to buy Skeleton Keys)
Add / Remove Textures, Keys, Paintings & Teleport Channels
Use Script Blocks & Ambient Sound Blocks
Set frequencies of Wifi Blocks
Use all the Creative Tools in Creative mode, except Creative Flood

Grief:
Start fires
Cause Explosions
Use buckets to Flood
Use the Creative Flood tool in Creative mode

Fly:
This permission allows players to Fly around in Zones which do not prevent it.
Players using the Robotic avatar are not bound by this permission.

Map:
This permission allows players to;
Toggle their Mini-Map On or Off  -(by going to Player -> Options -> Toggle Map)
View the World Surface Map  -(by pressing the Back button)

Save:
This permission allows players to save the data currently stored in their clipboard as a component.
Players with this permission can Not save your world to their Xbox, nor can they 'Save the game. It is not possible for players to do that whatever permissions they have, even if they have all of them.
The Save permission is used Only for saving components.

Admin:
Admins have full control over the world. The only things they CANNOT do is;
Edit inside No-Edit Zones which have no Builder assigned to them
Change the permissions of other Admins
Access System Shops when Finite Resources is On

Private Slots:

In the lobby, before loading your world, there is a setting for 'Private Slots'. These slots are reserved for players which you invite to your world.
Only players who were invited to join the world by the host will be permitted to use a Private Slot.
Use Private Slots to ensure there is room in your world for those you may want to invite/join.

Extra Info:

Zones & Permissions work in conjuction with each other, For example: Players who do Not have Edit permission will not be able to edit in zones which allow editting -or- If PvP setting is OFF in Game Options there will be no PvP even in zones which allow it.

It is important to understand the settings & their priorities to manage your worlds effectively, & its always good to allow players as much interaction in your worlds as possible while keeping it safe from grief.

When a world is setup correctly with Zones & Permissions there is not left a way in which players can grief your world.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:26:29 PM by muD »

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: -=How to=- Use Zones, Permissions & Private Slots
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
Great tutorial. A small suggestion would be to change this :
If you want players to be able to edit in your world but only in particular places, the best way to set it up is as followed:
Set the default global permissions to: Adventure ON, Edit ON, Creative OFF, Grief OFF, Fly ON, Map --, Save OFF, Admin OFF

To this:
If you want players to be able to edit in your world but only in particular places, the best way to set it up is as followed:
Set the default global permissions to: Adventure ON, Edit ON, Creative OFF, Grief OFF, Fly OFF, Map --, Save OFF, Admin OFF

The fly permission doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a players ability to edit. It just adds to their convenience of use. And if said player has the fly permission and the spawn zone is not enclosed than that player will be able to go out of areas where there might be non-edit zones and mess with the world.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
Great tutorial. A small suggestion would be to change this :
Set the default global permissions to: Adventure ON, Edit ON, Creative OFF, Grief OFF, Fly ON, Map --, Save OFF, Admin OFF

To this:
Set the default global permissions to: Adventure ON, Edit ON, Creative OFF, Grief OFF, Fly OFF, Map --, Save OFF, Admin OFF

The fly permission doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a players ability to edit. It just adds to their convenience of use. And if said player has the fly permission and the spawn zone is not enclosed than that player will be able to go out of areas where there might be non-edit zones and mess with the world.
I put it that way under the assumption admins will use the zones to manage every part of their world.
Having Fly perms On by default allows admins to place zones where they do Not want players to fly -(which could be no where in the world, & in which case the World Zone would have Fly deselected.

If Fly is Off by default then players can only fly if you change their permissions.

I was debating whether to put any of that section in at all because there are so many worlds which have different requirements. It really was just a general suggestion of how to get the average world into a fixed, non-griefable state.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »
I put it that way under the assumption admins will use the zones to manage every part of their world.
Having Fly perms On by default allows admins to place zones where they do Not want players to fly -(which could be no where in the world, & in which case the World Zone would have Fly deselected.

If Fly is Off by default then players can only fly if you change their permissions.

I was debating whether to put any of that section in at all because there are so many worlds which have different requirements. It really was just a general suggestion of how to get the average world into a fixed, non-griefable state.

I see. Now that you explain that it makes sense. Before it was a little bit confusing though.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site+600 posts Awarded to exemplary forum members Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
    Zone Priorities:

Some Zone options will override others where the zones may overlap. For example;
    • Fly Zones take precedence over No-Fly zones -(Fly Zones can be placed inside No-Fly zones)

I was trying to make specific fly zones throughout my map, and I noticed when setting them in, the "No-Fly" zone seems to take priority. I tried two different scenarios:

1) Placed No-fly zone first, then fly zone inside of it.
    2) Placed Fly zone first, then No-fly around it.

Both scenarios resulted in no fly. I can fly around the rest of the map, but once I enter the zone I fall to the ground.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    You make me smile!

muD

• Legendary Member
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:26:25 AM »
    I was trying to make specific fly zones throughout my map, and I noticed when setting them in, the "No-Fly" zone seems to take priority. I tried two different scenarios:

1) Placed No-fly zone first, then fly zone inside of it.
    2) Placed Fly zone first, then No-fly around it.

Both scenarios resulted in no fly. I can fly around the rest of the map, but once I enter the zone I fall to the ground.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Sorry i couldn't help, I was getting different results each time i tried. This thread may be of interest