Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  15 Days to the End (Forum Members as Characters!)  (Read 13395 times)

Silver

• Elite Member
  • I write stories. What else do you need to know?!
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Days to the End (Forum Members as Characters!)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
Day 1

Clerical, Disco, Bilbo

"That roof doesn't look too sturdy." Clerical was leading the group through a collapsed building, taken down by the rioters. Bilbo asked, "We noticed. Can you tell us why we're here now?" Disco agreed, saying, "Surely there's better stuff we could be doing?" Clerical stayed silent as the trio continued to move further into the ruins. "Why don't we split up?" Bilbo suggested. Clerical nodded and they went different ways. It was eerily silent now; Disco could hear his own cold breath. He didn't know what he was looking for, so he sat down when he was out of sight. He got out his water bottle and took a sip; he was really thirsty from all of this exploring. He wondered what the others were doing; probably looking. But he didn't want to. He wanted to know why they were here, and not doing something more productive. It took a while before he noticed the knife at his throat. He froze, and heard a whisper in his ear. "Don't make a sound." He instinctively shouted, "Help!"

"Help!" Clerical heard it loud and clear; it sounded like Disco. He ran back the way he came. He heard the familiar moans and screams; the infected had found them. Luckily they sounded far away, and Clerical continued to rush to Disco's aid.

"Help!" Bilbo turned to face where the sound had come from. It was Disco; he broke into a sprint to reach him. Not soon after he stopped altogether. He heard some moans around the corner; the infected. Bilbo's path was blocked. The only way to Disco was there; or was it? He saw a big vent across the corridor, but getting up to it could be hard and noisy. The infected were also in the corridor. He decided to risk it.

Clerical reached Disco and fell to his knees. Disco lay slumped on a piece of fallen concrete, dead. Blood trickled from his neck. There were other people here. Clerical slowly and quietly stood up, leaving Disco behind for now. He heard a sound behind him, and turned on his heels. A man stood there with a knife at the ready. "Put your weapon down, and nobody gets hurt." Clerical realised he had his knife out too, but didn't put it down. The man stepped closer. "I said put it down." Clerical shook his head. The man walked right up to Clerical's face and shouted, "Put the knife down or I'll do the same to you!" He pointed at Disco's limp body with his knife; the perfect chance. Clerical grabbed the man's arms and got out some rope he'd picked up earlier, a few minutes before Disco's cry. He fumbled with it as the man tried to get free, but managed to tie the man's arms behind his back. Now he turned to a different matter; where was Bilbo?

Bilbo peered around the corner and saw two infected; they were looking the other way, so he crouch-walked across the corridor. There was a crate further down the corridor, closer to the infected. Slowly but surely he got there and began to pull it, trying to make as little noise as possible. Eventually he got the crate into place. He cringed as he climbed it; the crate was squeaking. He began to get into the vent; although it was big, it was still a tight fit for him and being in a vent in a collapsed building was a pretty bad idea. Just as he was pulling his other leg in, he heard two screams, getting closer as they went on. They'd seen him at the last moment. He crawled as fast as he could, not caring about all of the creaking. The infected knew where he was, silence wasn't an option anymore, only escape. Eventually more creaking joined his; they'd gotten in. He continued along the vent blindly until he found another exit. He punched the little grate off and dropped to the ground. He went into a sprint as he heard more screaming, this time human. He heard the infected drop to the ground behind him. They were gaining. He reached the human screams and saw alot, but didn't have time to process it all. He saw Clerical and shouted, "Infected!" They both began to run, leaving behind everything else.

The infected ran after them, stumbling a little, but keeping up. Clerical and Bilbo reached a set of double doors and slammed them shut behind them. They leaned on the doors to keep them shut as the infected reached them. Everything became silent for a few seconds. Bilbo began to rise a little, so as to check if they had left, but Clerical urgently ushered him back down. The door knobs began to turn. Faint moans were heard on the other sides of the doors. Clerical tried to grab a plank of wood nearby, but it was not quite close enough. He reached out further, and grabbed the plank of wood. The infected screamed; Clerical had leaned out quite far and the door had opened slightly. This was enough to set off the infected again, reaching their bloody hands in. Clerical threw himself back against the door, but the hands were in the way. He tried again, and he heard the disgusting sound of a hand falling off. The door slammed shut and Clerical raised his hands above his head, blindly putting the plank into place. Clerical looked at Bilbo, and Bilbo looked at Clerical. Clerical looked down at his hand; it was covered in blood. Bilbo didn't need to look down to know what had happened; he was infected. He said, "Blood to blood contact. I'm screwed..." Clerical shook his head in disbelief; he'd know Bilbo for so long. "I won't let you die. I can save you!" Bilbo shook his head, replying, "It's over. Nothing can stop me now, so take my stuff and go." Clerical's eyes widened and he shouted, accompanied by more infected screams, "No, I really can! Haven't you heard about the cure?" A look of wonder crossed Bilbo's face. "There's a cure?!" Clerical nodded. "Your TV lines probably went down before mine. It was broadcast, overriding everything else. Scientists have a cure. It was dispatched to every doctor and every hospital it could be dispatched to. There's an overrun clinic round the corner from here. All we need to do is get out, find that clinic and get the medicine." Bilbo laughed and said, "That's great! ...wait, overrun?" Clerical looked glum and nodded. "I saw it on the way in. There must be at least 10 of them in there. But... they won't be attracted to you! You're already infected, so they won't try to get you, right?" Bilbo shrugged his shoulders. He didn't know. "How long does it take for the infection to start taking over?" Clerical replied with, "About 24 hours?" Bilbo smiled and said, "Well, let's get some sleep first."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:09:21 PM by Silver »

CarboN x Spider

• Elite Member
  • Secret Spider-Sloth since 1986
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Blu Juggernaut5
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »
Day 1 seems good carry on the good work :) and remember BluR is the badass one that kills all the infected like he's putting a straw in a glass ;)

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
I wonder who killed Disco?

The White Rabbit

• Legendary Member
  • Are you a solo builder too?
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Nobodies56
  • PSN: A_Blessed_Potato
  • Steam: Ray
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »
Nooo I missed my chance at stardom ;-; Can I be an extra?? pretty please ;-;

Thanks GK for the new sig it looks great!

You may be able to teach a chimp to dance, but will he dance for your tune?

Silver

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
Nooo I missed my chance at stardom ;-; Can I be an extra?? pretty please ;-;

There's still 14 more days to go, you can be a main too! :P What made you think I'd only accept people before Day 1?

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
I like the way you are using forum members as characters in your story. Hopefully, though, you will still allow for those characters to have some character development as the story itself progresses (usually when I write based off of real people or events the character development suffers simply because I try to portray that person as who they are rather than a character in a story, but it will be interesting to see how you approach it).

It would be kind of interesting to include someone from the forums as an antagonist, as I see you have been primarily using people as protagonists. Just a thought.

Overall great work and I can't wait to read the upcoming days!

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Silver

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 02:25:41 AM »
I like the way you are using forum members as characters in your story. Hopefully, though, you will still allow for those characters to have some character development as the story itself progresses (usually when I write based off of real people or events the character development suffers simply because I try to portray that person as who they are rather than a character in a story, but it will be interesting to see how you approach it).

It would be kind of interesting to include someone from the forums as an antagonist, as I see you have been primarily using people as protagonists. Just a thought.

Overall great work and I can't wait to read the upcoming days!

Thanks for the feedback and yes, I do plan for some of our fellow forum members to be antagonists (not based on my relationships with them irl). I've never been too good at character development, but we'll see how it goes.

Silver

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 03:13:22 AM »
Day 1

Silver

Silver heard someone scream for help in the distance. He pondered whether to go and help, and decided to go for it. He crouched under a fallen pillar and cautiously approached where the scream had come from. He stayed in the shadows as he saw a man laying on a piece of concrete, dead. Another man stood there, with a knife in his hands. Yet another arrived, and the two fought. In the end the murderer was tied up with some rope. One more showed up and shouted, "Infected!". They were chased away by two infected people. It had only been a day, so it surprised Silver how many had been taken by the infection. When the infected were too far away to be heard, Silver went to see the murderer. "What's your name?" The murderer looked up at Silver, and replied, "Liam. Look, this isn't what you think." Silver nodded and said, "Yeah, I've been in this sort of situation before. But not as intense as this, of course." Liam grunted as if to agree.

They both stayed silent for a while before Silver spoke again. "Hey, I'm sure you want me to take off the rope." Liam nodded as best as he could from the ground. "Well, I need to know if I can trust you. I'll take that knife from you and we'll see how it goes from there." Liam didn't do anything, but Silver was sure he understood. He crouched down and took the knife from Liam, then untied the rope. Liam stood up and said, "Thanks. I thought I was as good as dead, with all of these ill people roaming the city." Silver replied, "I would too. Maybe when we get somewhere safer than here you can tell me what happened here." He felt somehow empowered with Liam's knife in his possession; he wondered if he'd done the right thing, saving Liam. Well, what could he do now? They left the building.

It was night. Silver felt vulnerable walking out on the streets of the city; it felt too quiet considering how loud it usually was. Was. Things were different now. Liam pointed and said, "It's too open on the streets. Let's go somewhere safer. Silver nodded nervously; was Liam luring him into a trap? He couldn't run, as Liam looked like he was faster, so he just followed. They entered the alley and sat at the end. Silver pulled out two chocolate bars. "You want one?" Liam looked at them and said, "Sure. I'm just saying though; aren't there more important things to pack than chocolate?" Silver nodded understandingly and replied, "I know, but I was packing in a rush and just grabbed some of the stuff near me. I stopped and ran when the building opposite me crashed to the ground. Where I found you? That was the one." Liam looked like he was thinking, then asked, "So this one next to us is where you used to live?" Silver nodded, and said, "I did have some stuff that could be useful. Maybe we can go there in the morning." Liam nodded and went to sleep. Silver did the same.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:07:01 PM by Silver »

Madjar

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: zi SHoTGuNz x
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:47 AM »
I dont read much but this is a good read cant wait for the next one also may I be included?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:43:38 AM by Madjar »

sinless

• Been here since the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 06:36:52 AM »
I'd love to be part of the story if you don't mind

Thanks to /gk for making me this sig /wub

"Announcer of The Official Zepplin Race"