Author Topic:  Script & Circuitry Ideas [with pics]  (Read 4767 times)

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
Re: Circuitry schematics
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
You should try to make schematics for a "mob slaughterhouse". Particularly one that can be used to create a random loot generator. Press a button, mobs spawn in a slaughterhouse, get killed, and the random drops are given to the person who pressed the button. If you charge entry to the room it could become the equivalent to the "random box" of the map. Maybe a script that "clears" the room where you get the loot by making the floor disappear then reappear could be used, the problem is making sure that only one person can enter the room at a time.
http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=4824.0
also a circus or gladiatoral arena would be cool too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:51:32 PM by Atlas »

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
You should try to make schematics for a "mob slaughterhouse". Particularly one that can be used to create a random loot generator. Press a button, mobs spawn in a slaughterhouse, get killed, and the random drops are given to the person who pressed the button. If you charge entry to the room it could become the equivalent to the "random box" of the map. Maybe a script that "clears" the room where you get the loot by making the floor disappear then reappear could be used, the problem is making sure that only one person can enter the room at a time.
http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=4824.0
also a circus or gladiatoral arena would be cool too.
If placing blocks on pick-ups made them move to the nearest 'free space' then pipes could be made without fluids to push items to the player -but unfortunately they don't.
Placing a block on a pick-up (or even a duck) just buries it so there's no current way of moving pick-ups - The player would have to walk in there after and scoop up the droppings.

However, liquid physics are on the menu in 2.1 so if there's a current which can move pick-ups then bringing them to the player would just require some pipe-age nd flow.

Best i can come up with atm without the player having to move is;
having a 2x2 vertical pipe above the player in which mobs are spawned at the top They will be funnelled down where they will fall slowly through the water while being attacked by turrets.. Design it so the mobs are killed by turrets before they drown or reach the bottom of the pipe so that only the items they drop are falling on the player.

-added that contraption to the OP
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:46:19 PM by muD »

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
If placing blocks on pick-ups made them move to the nearest 'free space' then pipes could be made without fluids to push items to the player -but unfortunately they don't.
Placing a block on a pick-up (or even a duck) just buries it so there's no current way of moving pick-ups - The player would have to walk in there after and scoop up the droppings.

However, liquid physics are on the menu in 2.1 so if there's a current which can move pick-ups then bringing them to the player would just require some pipe-age nd flow.

Best i can come up with atm without the player having to move is;
having a 2x2 vertical pipe above the player in which mobs are spawned at the top They will be funnelled down where they will fall slowly through the water while being attacked by turrets.. Design it so the mobs are killed by turrets before they drown or reach the bottom of the pipe so that only the items they drop are falling on the player.

-added that contraption to the OP
maybe something that pushes you down a pipe with the stuff and closes the door so you have to pay again to access the machine

#BanAtlas

muD

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) 2 years on site Former MotM winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
maybe something that pushes you down a pipe with the stuff and closes the door so you have to pay again to access the machine
The only way to make players have to pay to enter something, without using human labour, is to have a locked door & purchasable key.
-You could script the door & shop to rotate which key is needed each time it is used, to a point, but this is an ugly method..
I can't think of an effective way to make players pay which doesn't need someone monitoring & working it.

Baring in mind what Craig said about the effects of using delay scripts (for too long), I don't think a method using delayed scripts to remove the floor from the room after x amount of time to make the player have to exit would be too friendly on busy worlds.

so..
I'm thinking of another way to delay things... the possibilities of using a series of fires as timers.
Such as; a fire ascending a (adjustable) wooden tower, eventually destroying the transmitter or switch on top which then stops powering a 'no-edit-zoned' script block which is set to do X on powering off.

I'll call that a Fuse Timer i guess. may work..what ya think?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:54:30 PM by muD »

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
like so..

used to delay things without using up background threads..

Quote from: Craig
It is a bad idea to cause a script to wait for more than a couple of seconds. The reason for this is because when a script is executing it uses a background thread. The game only has 3 background threads available

amos

• Awards 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
Or how about random timer?

when a player is close enough a mob spawns in a little area wandering near proximity mine which when detonated destroys the switch.

Edit: Sorry monsters, it's for the greater good. ::)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:02:00 AM by amos »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:50 PM »
The only problem with the fuse timer is that the spreading of fire has some randomness built in, so it will not always burn all of the tower every time.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »

when a player is close enough a mob spawns in a little area wandering near proximity mine which when detonated destroys the switch.
that could work

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »
The only problem with the fuse timer is that the spreading of fire has some randomness built in, so it will not always burn all of the tower every time.

Kills that method but randomness sounds good. a la naturale..

haha, that sounds like a nice contraption. little mob-in-a-box-o-boom.. aww so cute

could adjust the size of the room, change the amount of mines, add weak-arrowed turrets to push the mobs around ect to somewhat adjust the average time of it detonating.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:33:27 PM by muD »

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
aha! may i propose fuse timer version 2..

now what are the chances of this 1 central block holding the switch Not setting on fire with 5 surrounding fires?  :P

..having the last script in the cycle set to do what you actually want to achieve after the accumulative delay.

still not gravy, i know
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:18:49 AM by muD »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:01 AM »
Like all things with a random element, 9 times out of 10, or 99 times out of 100, or 999 times out of 1000, it will work :p

The other problem, is scripts can only place (permanent) fire blocks, not start (spreadable) fires. I guess that's a fuse breaker :s

[edit] hmm unless components can hold spreading fire, i'll have to check that.

[edit2] yes they can, so you can create a fuse timer, but it must be done via component paste
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:28:48 AM by Craig »

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 03:07:36 AM »
Like all things with a random element, 9 times out of 10, or 99 times out of 100, or 999 times out of 1000, it will work :p

The other problem, is scripts can only place (permanent) fire blocks, not start (spreadable) fires. I guess that's a fuse breaker :s

[edit2] yes they can, so you can create a fuse timer, but it must be done via component paste
do mobs sink? If so then you can make a mob fuse that spawns a mob in a tube then has it slowly sink through the water with a pressure plate at the bottom of the tube.

#BanAtlas

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 03:22:47 AM »
they try to swim

a blue gecko

• Build to indulge and build to inspire.
  • Awards 2 years on site Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 1 year on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: a blue gecko
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
A thought on delaying commands without the "wait" function that occupies a background thread; Could contained explosives be used? Example being a script that pastes a torch at the end of a string of C4 inside a rhyolite tube that has the power emitter on the opposite end. This would only work though if explosions don't also occupy a background thread, and I am unsure if this method would be consistent (varying explosion time?).

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
do mobs sink? If so then you can make a mob fuse that spawns a mob in a tube then has it slowly sink through the water with a pressure plate at the bottom of the tube.
Quote from: Craig
They try to swim

possibly take the water out of that method and adjust the fall height
or maybe use sparse water layers to slow them, but not enough for them to gain any upward, swimming motion..

Contained explosives
Example being a script that pastes a torch at the end of a string of C4 inside a rhyolite tube that has the power emitter on the opposite end.
Sounds like that'd work reliably.
The explosives do trigger each other pretty fast so would have to use quite long tubes even for short delays.
Perhaps to reduce the length of the tubes needed, maybe putting a switch in mid sequence, which when powered Off (by being destroyed by the blast) will trigger nested scripts which loop part of the sequence 19 times before continuing to its final function.. could use more than one looper
?

8)
to increase the chances of that method not failing due to randomness, could use multiple instances of fuse timers all with the same end result.
______

Do the flammable materials combust at different rates?
Are there particular odds of a spreadable fire block not spreading?

Would it be possible to make falling teflon blocks able to press a plate?
Any way to have glass breakable by non-explosive arrows?
Glass breaks if players or teflon land too hard?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:44:10 PM by muD »