Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  ApocZ - Available Now! [Important Notice!]  (Read 11517 times)

Faulk Smash

• The Incredible Faulk!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Faulk Smash
ApocZ - Available Now! [Important Notice!]
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:33:32 AM »
IMPORTANT NOTICE
I'm now a moderator over at the ApocZ forum, so I'll be dedicating a lot of my time helping users with problems, and answering their questions. Updating this thread with my own wording takes up (and has taken) a lot out of my time, so I guess this is where this topic dies haha... I won't be updating the "Update Log", and suggest for those who keep up with this topic and are interested in what the future of ApocZ holds to visit the ApocZ forum (http://www.apocz.com/forum/index.php).

I've spent a lot of time revising this topic, and it took a long time to create it. Hopefully some of you got something useful out of it! :)

I'll still be active on this forum though. :)

Oh, if you guys want to get away from the cluster of topics on the ApocZ forum, feel free to shoot me a pm or leave a message here on this topic and I'll reply as soon as I see it. :)

Thanks everyone.

====================================================================================================

YOU Can Help! :)
At the moment, TONS of bugs are being reported by users, and Sick Kreation's is actively responding to most. If you guys have experienced any glitches (first, don't post them here please) and/or bugs, now would be the time to report them to the ApocZ forum.

I'm assuming the first update is going to be purely a patch that just fixes tons of bugs, so let him know if anything odd is happening with as much detail as possible! :)

Release Trailer!

Download (Full Game & Trial)

Current price is set at $1.00 US. The current memory size is 155.09 MB. The developer has said that as the updates come out, depending on whether he can keep the file size low enough, the game may increase from $1.00 to $3.00. This is because an Indie game can be no larger than 500 MB.

If a game is under 150MB, the price can be kept at $1.00. I'm confused as ApocZ is 5.09 MB larger than that, and can still maintain a $1.00 pricetag... If a game is over 150MB, it must be priced at $3.00, or $5.00. So I recommend you get it while it's cheaper, and from there on all updates will be free. :)

For those interested in where I'm getting this from, click here.

Regarding The "Code 4" Error

I was going to sum it up, but the developer has put information on the ApocZ website regarding the error code, and temporary work-around to by-pass it. Please take a moment to read it.

Click Here

Update Log
(information of future updates/patches for the game. Yellow text = Key info towards the update)

First Update Information

"[...]On Saturday the 29th I'll start a new thread for what should be in the second patch after the Code 4 fix. I can submit 1 patch 7 days after release of the previous one." - Kevin Kelley (Developer)

I'm assuming "after the Code 4 fix", translates to the first update being solely a fix for the online-breaking error, or if it's not that, then an update containing known fixes for bugs and/or glitches (including the Code 4 error).

Second Update Information

"[...]On Saturday the 29th I'll start a new thread for what should be in the second patch after the Code 4 fix. I can submit 1 patch 7 days after release of the previous one." - Kevin Kelley (Developer)

====================================================================================================

Everything above the green line (above) will be news and updates when ApocZ is officially out on the marketplace.

Everything below the red line (below) is information and updates posted before ApocZ's release. Now that the game is coming out tomorrow, I will re-evaluate the design of this thread as it's kind of all over the place. The information under the red line will not be edited from this point on.

Latest Update (3/24/14): ApocZ has passed peer review and will be available for download on the marketplace tomorrow!!! (3/25/14)

Here's some information from the dev himself! :) :) :)

"[...] The game has passed peer-review and will be published on 3-25-2014. tomorrow! [...] I have the first part of a new trailer done, I am currently testing on a private you tube page to get quality as best I can. It should all come together later today and I'll post the trailer."

The wait is finally over!

Here's a quick review of what ApocZ has to offer at launch:

- ApocZ will be priced at $1.00 US.
- Supports 16 player online multiplayer at launch.
- A zombie count of 2,000 per server (can clear out areas of zombies. Once they're dead, they do not respawn)
- Vehicles!
- A variety of weapons.
- Day & night cycle.
- 4 square miles to explore! (That's the same as 1,936 (American) football fields!!)

Oh man guys, so freakin' close! If you see a weird blur in the distance at night, count on it being me with a sniper aimed at your face. :P

Game Trailer:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
Note: The gameplay trailer above is from the ApocZ build 5 months ago. The game has improved a lot since, and has kept improving the past couple of days with them play-testing. A release trailer is set to happen when the game is sent to peer-review, so before making assumptions now, I'd recommend waiting until the trailer before making your decision on whether or not to buy this game.

ApocZ Intro:
Note: I found this while I was on YouTube. I'm assuming this is for ApocZ, for obvious reasons, but it could be for another Indie project. Nothing's confirmed here. ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info & Personal Perspective On The Game

So there's a new Indie Game coming up (hopefully soon) called "ApocZ'. To sum it up, it's a spin-off of the PC's game "DayZ". I'm sure most of you have heard of it one time or another haha. Obviously with the PC, developers can do more with their games, but will have to wait and see what Sick Kreations does with ApocZ, if anything at all.

The game has 3 basic tips. "Search", "Collect" and "Survive" (as seen on the banner at the top of this topic). The game provides a huge (truly huge) open world with tons of detail and places to explore, weapons to scavenge, food and water to stay alive, and vehicles to roam. There's a day and night cycle which is awesome because the game provides players with flashlights that are networked (from what I can see) meaning that the light that comes from other player's flashlights emits on your screen in the same spot as it does on theirs. If you play Battlefield 4 on next-gen consoles, the water waves are networked meaning they're all synced within everyone's game. Those are just some things I've noticed from the gameplay.

Official Game Description

"ApocZ is an open world sandbox First Person and Third Person view shooter, centered around the zombie apocalypse and survival. Set in 4 square miles of land in the Ukraine on the Black Sea, and bordered by deadly radiation zones. As a survivor you awaken shortly after the apocalyptic event surrounded by zombie infested towns and villages. Your first goal, find food and water to stay alive!

This area also has military facilities where a survivor can find high grade rifles and ammunition. These weapons will aid in eliminating the zombie infestation and confrontations with other survivors. The always online state of this world makes for intense and desperate game play in up to 16 player PvP and PvE.

You’ll find many things to help in your survival, from backpacks to carry supplies, to tents that can be used to mass and save loot from one excursion into this world to the next. There are also vehicles that can be repaired and fueled to aid in scavenging. The 2000 zombies only spawn once when a server is created, making it possible to clear areas and scavenge free of their threat. Game play video coming soon!".

Pictures

I've done as much digging as I can of this game, and there's only 3 pictures so far. From what I see, these are probably pictures of an earlier version of the game, perhaps the version from which the trailer was made of because when they were live-streaming a play-test, the game looked a ton better. This will give you an idea regardless though, so here they are:

Picture 1:
Picture 2:
Picture 3:

World Size

When I first saw the third picture, I thought the world looked huge. When I saw the gameplay, I nearly lost it haha! To make things simple for you guys, here's some perspective of how big the world is for you. I'm bringin' some Faulk Facts up in here! :P

ApocZ is "set in 4 square miles of land in the Ukraine on the Black Sea"

1 Square Mile = 484 American Football Fields

4 Square Miles = 1,936 American Football Fields... Is that not huge?!

This game truly does excite me, and I just wanted to share this with you guys as I'm purely stoked about it!

ApocZ Website, Twitch, and Developer's Website

Sick Kreation's Website!
ApocZ Website!
ApocZ Twitch!
(they said cutting video takes a lot of time, so instead of streaming, they'll be uploading a gameplay trailer when the game is submitted to peer review)

Let me know what you guys think as I put a lot of time into this topic and am genuinely excited for this game and would love to hear what you guys think about it! :)

Edit Section
This is where I'll post any news on the game, or changes with this topic if need be.

Update #1 (3/1/14): ApocZ is currently in playtest! They said it was going to be a February release but they found a couple of issues which are now resolved. Here's the official comment from one of the developers: "We found few issues during playtest. I got them fixed and its back in playtest right now, making sure the issues are resolved."

Update #2 (3/1/14): Also, a thing to note is the game has been kept under 150MB so the price can be $1. I talked to the dev about a week ago during the stream I watched of him and a few others play-testing and he said he wanted to keep it under 150MB, because once you go over that size, you have to charge $3 or $4. I'm just going to buy it right away so regardless of the later updates and their sizes, I still only paid a dollar lol.

Update #3 (3/8/14): Just watched the stream late last night, and the developer said that they ran into a damage issue if I'm not mistaken, as well as cars being able to climb each other, which is a collision bug. He said he'd be working on fixing those today. He also mentioned a couple of ideas he had for the game. None of which are confirmed. We were just discussing features that would be cool.

Some of the features discussed were enterable buildings, wildlife, and the ability for vehicles to hold more than one person at a time. None is confirmed, but was discussed. Meaning that the possibility is there. :)

Update #4 (3/10/14): They just streamed again for about 2 hours and I learned a ton about the game. I'm not going to mention any of it because I think it'd be more fun to find out for yourselves, but rest assured, this game looks fantastic, and they're working hard fixing bugs left and right. They're hoping to submit it to peer review later today, then it will take anywhere from 5-7 days until it'll be available for download, assuming it passes peer review, which, from what I've seen, it's likely it will.

Update #5 (3/12/14): ApocZ has been submitted to peer review!
"I got the game in peer-review late on 3-11." (Source: http://www.apocz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=39#p39)

Update #6 (3/13/2014): I was on Twitch earlier today watching some Titanfall streams, and dropped into the ApocZ stream to see how many viewers it had (11 was the most at one time). A lot of people were asking questions, so I helped them out. In return, the dev sent me an email. In this email, contained peer review progress. ;) "The game is currently 66% through peer-review, just about 3 more reviews and it could be released to the marketplace."

Update #7 (3/14/2013): ApocZ has failed peer review. No issues with the game itself, but well, read below:

"ApocZ received 2 fails so it automatically dropped out of peer-review. We get an automated email from MS XNA Team when a game passes or fails. I got one from them stating that the reviewers disagreed with the content settings I had picked for 'Injuries' in the game. There are several categories for content settings, from violence to sex and drug content in the game. I have never had a game fail for the content settings before so it was surprising to me. Once the game failed out of peer-review I put in the playtest area of the website and asked that the reviewers who failed it would please commit on what they thought the content settings for 'Injuries' should be.

This is one of those areas of the Peer-Review process that XNA developers have had an issue with for a long time. That other developers could anonymously fail a game. I'm keeping a good attitude about it, if a few developers really thought the settings should be higher then for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt."

Update #8 (3/16/14): So as of 2 days ago, ApocZ failed peer review (as you who are following this thread would (hopefully) know). Here's what's going on as of now.

"ApocZ was failed out of peer-review due to the ratings setting. This means I will have to wait 7 days to resubmit the game for the process with the ratings adjusted. This is the first time this has happened to a game I have submitted for release, so it caught me off guard. I will use the time to continue to test and polish game mechanics.  Please visit the forum, I posted some facts about peer-review and will answer any question you may have.

I [dev] thank all of you who been following and are excited for the release."

(Source: http://www.apocz.com/)

Update #9 (3/18/14): ApocZ is being re-submitted to peer review this friday! If you missed the update two days ago explaining why ApocZ failed peer review, look at the update above this one.

Update #9 (3/21/14): ApocZ was re-submitted to peer review early this morning! In case you missed it, ApocZ was sent into peer review on the 12th of this month but failed due to the rating's slider not being approved of, resulting in 2 fails, resulting in peer review failure. If a game fails peer review, XNA won't allow the developer to submit the game for another 7 days. The game was submitted on the 12th, and was in review until it failed on the 14th, so 14 + 7 = 21, and today is the 21st, so the developer has submitted ApocZ into peer review right after the 7 day wait time.

To stay up to date with the progress of peer review, you can check back with this topic (I update the title when I add something new), or to get the news as soon as it's public, you can head over to the ApocZ forum (http://www.apocz.com/forum/).

Update #10: (3/24/14) ApocZ has passed peer review and will be available for download on the marketplace tomorrow!!! (3/25/14)

Here's some information from the dev himself! :) :) :)

"[...] The game has passed peer-review and will be published on 3-25-2014. tomorrow! [...] I have the first part of a new trailer done, I am currently testing on a private you tube page to get quality as best I can. It should all come together later today and I'll post the trailer."

The wait is finally over!

Here's a quick review of what ApocZ has to offer at launch:

- ApocZ will be priced at $1.00 US.
- Supports 16 player online multiplayer at launch.
- A zombie count of 2,000 per server (can clear out areas of zombies. Once they're dead, they do not respawn)
- Vehicles!
- A variety of weapons.
- Day & night cycle.
- 4 square miles to explore! (That's the same as 1,936 (American) football fields!!)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:04:24 AM by Faulk Smash »

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: DiamondBack662
  • Steam: DiamondBack662
Re: ApocZ (Upcoming Indie Game)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »

seems... familiar...

Faulk Smash

• The Incredible Faulk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:18:34 PM »
Yeah haha. I looked up ApocZ on YouTube and found that exact video. Chances are that's where they got the name from but in all honesty, I don't think it matters as the game is already a rip-off of Day Z.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:23:40 PM by Faulk Smash »

BattleCryHD

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
Can't wait :) Never could afford a gaming pc. Wonder what the future of this genre will go to.

Faulk Smash

• The Incredible Faulk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
No idea. The developer said he wanted to make interiors for the buildings (currently there's only one building that you can enter, but with nothing inside). Other then that though I have no clue. Hopefully they keeps updating it but you never know.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
ApocZ is "set in 4 square miles of land in the Ukraine on the Black Sea"
1 Square Mile = 484 American Football Fields
4 Square Miles = 1,936 American Football Fields... Is that not huge?!
In TM or MC terms, that would be a 3200 x 3200 sized map. So roughly 9 x bigger than a TM map, and roughly 12 x bigger than an MC360 map.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:45:20 PM by Craig »

Faulk Smash

• The Incredible Faulk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
Which is awesome but Total miner also has a depth level, which I'm assuming make it more complicated I'd assume? I'm no programmer but the way that ApocZ is filled with trees and buildings and empty space, I'm assuming they can do that where as Total Miner has to generate trees, water, lava etc so you can't make it as big?

I'm talkin' out by butt. I'm not a developer in any way shape or form, I'm just saying what makes sense in my mind. You'd know way more about that lol.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:59 PM »
If ApocZ is not a voxel sandbox then comparisons make no sense because the technologies involved are completely different.

If it is a voxel sandbox, then take a look at our infinite terrain video.

DiamondBack662

• Legendary Member
  • Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: DiamondBack662
  • Steam: DiamondBack662
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
If ApocZ is not a voxel sandbox then comparisons make no sense because the technologies involved are completely different.

If it is a voxel sandbox, then take a look at our infinite terrain video.

Far more interested in this than a derpy indie zombie game that 100 people will buy and play for a week. I also note it has no mention of Multiplayer.. there's a few of these out there that are you shooting and moving around by yourself.. If it's not multi capable at launch.. it'll fail in its first week.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:01:24 PM by DiamondBack662 »

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
I know these guys at Sick Kreations, I've playtested a few of their FPS's on XBLIG, they've already released 5 or 6. It's not a voxel sandbox, it's a regular polygon sandbox, so the technologies are completely different. With each game they've released, they've refined their engine.