Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Broken Age  (Read 470 times)

SteveTheSpoon

• View Profile
Broken Age
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
Broken Age

Broken Age is the first game on my list to write as much as I can about. I guess Iíll start with a little bit of backstory eh?

What is Broken Age?

Broken Age is a single player point-and-click adventure video game developed by Double Fine Productions. It was originally kickstarted with a goal of $400,000 but due to popularity and well placed promotion they received much, much more than originally anticipated. $3.45 million to be exact from over 87,000 backers. Originally planned to be released as a whole but due to restraints on money even with more than they asked for they need more to finish. ďEven though we received much more money from our Kickstarter than we, or anybody anticipated, that didnít stop me from getting excited and designing a game so big that it would need even more money,Ē Schafer wrote in a letter to the backers. So the game was split into two parts. The first chapter was released on Steam and other services to help gain more money to complete the project. Act 2 is scheduled for a release by the end of 2014.

The game itself has two different stories that individually revolve around a girl Vella and a boy called shay and can be played through in any order and can switch to the other at any time.While not directly affecting each other apart from somehow storywise. The two have inventories, can interact with things, can solve puzzles, and donít forget clicking! These actions however can only be performed in there respective stories so for example Vella cannot give Shay a cupcake.

Broken Age also has a whole cast of voice actors. Ranging from

Elijah Wood as Shay
Masasa Moyo as Vella
Jack Black as Harmíny Lightbeard
Wil Wheaton as Curtis The Lumberjack
Jennifer Hale as Mom
Pendleton Ward as Gus
and a lot more and maybe even a whole new cast in chapter two! So thatís kinda it for what the game is. You know how it started, where it is now, and the basic idea so I guess itís time to move on.

What Do I Think of the Game?

Well I for one am obsessed with this game. I love the hand drawn art style ranging from a cloud city to a space station, I love the animations of the characters they may be hand drawn but you can tell exactly what emotion theyíre feeling, I love the witty humor (a certain stool joke was a little weird for some but I thought it was great), I love the story, Itís left me wanting more and wanting to explore every nook and cranny, I love the voice actors and the characters behind them. They are all very unique and they seem to have just amount of right NPCís in each place to make the world seem alive.

The few problems I do have though are the fact that while the puzzles are enjoyable they are a little bit easy but I assume this is to ease people into the game. The next act is rumored to ramp up the difficulty so that does make me excited and should hopefully add more of a challenge and increase the game time. Also Iím a little annoyed at the questions Iíve been left with. Of course I know that there will be answers in act two but Iím a little worried because I have a lot of questions. No really probably 14 lines of them. I need answers! But in all serious the way that act 1 ended made me worried that those ones as well as all the ones coming with act 2 might not be answered. My last problem is my favorite character in the game so far did not get enough screen time and warning because this is a very slight spoiler. I am of course talking about this guy.

Thatís right! Itís a spoon and guess what he does, he talks! Can we just call him Steve from now on? In all seriousness though I have no problem with his screen time I just wanted to bring light to this character.

Should You Buy the Game?

Well do you like point-and-click games? If so then chances are youíre going to love this game to bits but if not then you could find yourself becoming annoyed with just clicking in a certain order but thatís just personal preference and thatís okay. If you are a person who doesnít like the genre of game they might be able to try and play through and be won over by the dialogue, story, and impressive voice cast. If you decide to take that risk then itís your choice but just remember itís a gamble. Would you play a genre of game that you donít like just for the story?

What Do I Give Broken Age?

Out of 10 I give the first act of Broken Age a solid 7.5/10 and when the second act this score may even change.

Did You Like This?

This is my first time doing something like this and I honestly enjoyed doing it so let me know and I may do more. Did you enjoy this?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:20:12 AM by SteveTheSpoon »
"Embrace your dreams and whatever happens, protect your honour as soldier" - Zack Fair

"I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear I will always remember when the Doctor was me." - The Eleventh Doctor

"I'm simply a madman without a box"

SteveTheSpoon

• View Profile
Re: Broken Age
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:41 AM »
Can I just say that as a person who is fascinated by voice acting it makes me so happy to see people who I adore like Penn Ward and Jack Black in this game.
"Embrace your dreams and whatever happens, protect your honour as soldier" - Zack Fair

"I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear I will always remember when the Doctor was me." - The Eleventh Doctor

"I'm simply a madman without a box"