Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Starbound  (Read 9723 times)

The White Rabbit

• Legendary Member
  • Are you a solo builder too?
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Nobodies56
  • PSN: A_Blessed_Potato
  • Steam: Ray
Re: Starbound
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
To be exact the problem isn't exactly the RAM after playing it for a dozen or so hours the problem is weather as soon as it rains the RAM usage shoots up to 80% without anything running and the fps drops down to 20-27 bracket so I resorted to moving onto a arid world the main problem now is after the latest updat all of my characters were wiped so now starting afresh on an arid map which is tough :P also who else has this game I would love to play with someone else :P

Thanks GK for the new sig it looks great!

You may be able to teach a chimp to dance, but will he dance for your tune?

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:33 PM »
Given that Starbound has both a grappling hook and the ability to create a cutesy rendition of the Morrowind theme, you'd be forgiven for thinking that it's already finished. But no, those are just the most important features of a long and winding development road. In a new post on the game's official site, designer Finn "Tiy" Brice has outlined some of the things planned for future updates.

"We have a lot more than this in store," writes Tiy, "but Xealaz over at reddit compiled such a nice list of the stuff we HAVE discussed that I wanted to share it with you. As always, things are not set in stone."

The list includes everything from fixes and balance tweaks, including a smoother difficulty curve and rebindable controls, to long-term planned features, like space combat and planetary modifications. You can see the full thing below:

"NPC Spawners & Building Logic: NPCs will scan the structures you build around them and the contents of chests; they will have improved inventories/behaviors depending on how valuable their surroundings are.
"Macro Terrain Changes: Affect an entire planet’s terrain and weather
"More Planet Scanner Data: See details in the planet scanner like planet occupants/dungeons
"Underground: More secrets will spawn below the surface
"Space Combat: Way in the future, expect space combat and the ability to board other ships.
"Spaceship Dungeons: Very large, size of a planet.
"Biome Hazards: Sandstorms, icestorms, meteor showers, toxic planets, airless planets.
"Ore & Difficulty: Higher difficulty planets will have improved ore distribution
"Story Missions: Eventually each tier will end with a story mission that ends with the bosses you see now.
"Ship Navigator Changes: Still not set in stone; but the new idea is to give a local map with fog of war. Instead of sector buttons you have to fly out of a sector and into the next one by uncovering more of the star map. The final sector would be infinite.
"Smoother Difficulty Curve: Better indication of the difficulty of an area. Difficulty will change within tiers as well as between tiers. There will be fractional difficulty (for example, Difficulty 1.12 in tier 1 would be easier than Difficulty 1.52, while still in T1)
"Monster Generation: Right now, monster parts just have stat boosts, but eventually rolled monster parts will affect their behavior and abilities. For example, monsters with spider legs can climb walls; fiery monsters inflict burning. You might get a burning spider dropping on you from the ceiling. Projectiles may be tied to specifically generated heads. Biome may influence monster part generation.
"Mini-Map: Rotating circular map showing highlights only such as the location of friendly players, spawn points–but no major details. For the details you’d use a mapping item to create a map as you travel.
"Teleporters: Stargates between planets and eventually between servers.
"Dramatic Planet Modification: Not going to be implemented any time soon. Ability for players to modify huge chunks of planets through things like orbital bombardment; removing the entire first layer of a planet and leave behind a lifeless surface.
"Tech Priority: Eventually all techs can be active at once, but a categorization system is in the works to assign priority to conflicting techs, preventing issues. A hotkey to switch the active tech will be added as a temporary workaround until the priority system is completed.
"Server Commands: More server commands and control for chat and port listening.
"Villager AI: Villagers will aggro when you steal from them and follow you more aggressively.
"World Storage: Improve world storage and organize *.pak files to improve modding. Add launcher integration.
"Spawn Points: Change spawn points on individual planets.
"Controls: Reconfigure controls; keybinding.
"Ship Size: Upgrade ship/increase size.
"Racial Armor: Racial abilities will not be inherent but will be tied to racial armor. For example, Avian armor can glide downward.
"Capture Pods & Mercenaries: May be able to capture NPCs with pods. Summon NPC Mercenaries by using the pod as a beacon.
"Reduced Wipes: Working on a system to patch without requiring as many character wipes in the future. This will require one more wipe and that’s it.
"Other Changes: Colorblind Mode & Engine Optimization. FTL animation being revamped to reduce memory strain."

Source : http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2013/12/17/starbounds-future-features-outlined-includes-space-combat-and-story-missions/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Agykoo
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 11:45:57 PM »
looks good, i can't wait for it to come out for a full release ^_^
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
Heya! Long time no front page post.

After taking it easy over the holidays, we jumped straight into preparing the next patch. The reason it’s taking awhile? Bug fixes. Bug fixes everywhere. They can be a little slow-going and unpredictable, but I think you guys will find the improvements worth the wait!

We’re still working on a few things, so you can expect the patch in about a week’s time. Not all patches are going to take this long, of course. :)

Fixes:
◦.ds_store issue affecting OSX 9.1 users (A bug where Finder created an invisible file called .ds_store in the player folder which caused the game to crash).
◦A number of character creation/selection screen crashes related to loading corrupted save files
◦An issue that could prevent the launcher from starting (MSVCRT.dll)
◦DirectX crash bug (303 bug)
◦Several memory leaks, including the slow-but-significant server memory leak a lot of people were experiencing and GUI memory leak
◦Fixed a crash bug related to GUI controls
◦Reduced memory load of FTL animation
◦.abc files with comments no longer crash the game, plus various .abc fixes as far as key signatures/timing
◦A number of issues with players spawning underground
◦A bug where players spawned outside the ship if they’d previously saved the game while in the Captain’s Chair
◦Right shift key was not working as a shift key, now it is
◦An issue tech slots were unusable under certain conditions
◦Wiring system fixes– wires are rendered below UI elements, wires no longer break when crossed into an unloaded sector
◦Added image metadata caching, improved assets caching
◦Added a jeep mech that was supposed to have been in the last patch, but had mysteriously gone missing!
◦Object flipping issues
◦Sped up the crafting window
◦Fixed a sound issue that occurred after many concurrent weapon hits
◦Characters no longer blink while sleeping in beds
◦Assorted minor performance improvements

Additions:
◦New game modes! Permadeath and drop-everything-on-death modes.
◦Revolvers, pulse rifles, hand grenades, shivs, Floran needlers, Floran thorn hammer
◦Human guards now wear soldier uniforms
◦More decorative hats! Yay, hats!
◦More random encounters
◦Possibly more content, if it’s finished on time!

Of course, there’s also the highly anticipated/possibly feared final character wipe– this patch contains a fix for save files so after this, you won’t need to worry about our patches destroying your characters or ships. This patch will wipe everything– characters, ships and worlds. It will definitely be the last time we’ll need to wipe characters or ships, and will hopefully be the last time we’ll need to wipe worlds. This explanation from Kyren should help clarify things a little:

“The problem is that the organization of planets may change so if they go muck with a planet, how do we put it in the celestial map? Or if they build on a biome we remove, or something. So no promises, but we’ll try. But promises on the player / ship.”

I hope that clears up a lot of your questions and concerns about the upcoming patch and wipe– I’m just as excited as you guys are. :)

http://playstarbound.com/info-about-the-upcoming-patch/

In case you missed the big part, I'll quote it below.
Of course, there’s also the highly anticipated/possibly feared final character wipe– this patch contains a fix for save files so after this, you won’t need to worry about our patches destroying your characters or ships. This patch will wipe everything– characters, ships and worlds. It will definitely be the last time we’ll need to wipe characters or ships, and will hopefully be the last time we’ll need to wipe worlds.

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
In case you missed the big part, I'll quote it below.

my understanding was that reguardless, when the beta is over, there doing a full wipe on every thing. witch is why I havint bothered to play yet.

anywho

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »
after reading in the coments section it does infact look like after thi spatch we get to keep our charictors and ships for sure and theres no more wipes on them even after the beta is done :O!!!

worlds they cant promis yet sadly, but form the sounds of it they havint added oceans yet so maybe a world wipe :O?

ether way I cant wait to play ^_^!!!

anywho

B3N

• why call it a spade, if it isn't a spade?
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Xx B3NN xX
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
IT IS DONE...
the final wipe was carried out today/yesterday and so characters will be lost no more, this is aimed at you agykoo! on that awesome note I just bought the game, so does anybody play? I've already done all the annoying port forwarding etc, I just need people

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
IT IS DONE...
the final wipe was carried out today/yesterday and so characters will be lost no more, this is aimed at you agykoo! on that awesome note I just bought the game, so does anybody play? I've already done all the annoying port forwarding etc, I just need people

I'm worried there gona do a final beta wipe, but I guess I waited long enough to play it, time to buy it now ^_^

anywho

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »
ok so I bougth star bound woot woot ^_^

so if any oen wants to play mp some time and see me on I am up for it ^_^

probly nto gona play tonight tho since its already 10:30pm for me :O! and if I get into it now I may be up till 4-5 XD!!!!

I do very much look forword to it tho ^_^

does any oen have any helpful hints or tricks I should know about? ^_^

anywho

II FerGie x 🍀

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • Potato!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: II FerGie x
  • PSN: II_FerGie_x
  • Steam: iifergiex
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:12 AM »
I could get a planned time this weekend and host it as I've already port forwarded it and has hosted a group terraria game before! :D Just post if you want to join and the times you'll be availble this weekend and I'll set a time, but knowing me, I'll host it all day since I can till I have to sleep, even if I'm not in the game. :P

Unless you don't want me to host, say so. :P