Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  WHAT IF?  (Read 735 times)

Kitty

• Legendary Member
  • Sinking into nothing at all~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Milkshakez7z
Re: WHAT IF?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
I doubt there are many PC's out there now that have worse performance than the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 is now 8-9 years old. Even 10-12 year old PC's have better performance than the 360 because of the operating system optimizations which the 360 doesn't have. If people are still trying to play games on a 10+ year old PC, then good luck to them, they are well and truly the minority and there is no point trying to support them.

That is one of the benefits of developing a game which specifically targets an old console. It has had to be massively optimized and it will always run better on PC's.

TM runs 5-10 times faster on my 3 year old mid range dual core laptop with an integrated graphics chip, than it does on the Xbox. And that's not even taking advantage of things like SIMD instructions which would further increase performance (XBLIG managed code does not have access to SIMD which is why TM was never able to leverage it).

On my new PC, TM runs so fast I can't even see the chunks loading in the distance. If I turn around, they've already loaded as far as I can see. It has enough graphics memory that a full creative map, built up from corner to corner, can be kept in memory and never unloaded. The map uses approx 600MB of graphics memory which is not a great deal on modern PCs.

On my new PC, I can sit in a corner and look out over the whole map with full view distance and the game runs at 60 FPS. The CPU usage is approx 10% and the GPU is not even close to full capacity.

So, TL:DR, don't worry about TM running on older PC's. It will still run considerably better than it does on the Xbox 360.
So I was correct ^_^ This is awesome, thanks for the informative post Craig!