Author Topic:  Texture Packs  (Read 20315 times)

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • The Demi-God giving Cold Sore King
  • Awards 3 years on site Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YoungSykotic182
  • Steam: YoungSykotic182
Re: Texture Packs
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 11:32:44 PM »

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
  • Awards 3 years on site Awarded for extraordinary testing services to our game. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
I downloaded it, but how do i start designing my blocks for a pack?
Open paint.net. Start a new image using the resolution of the pack you want to make (SD is has 16x16 resolution blocks. HD has 64x64) and let your imagination take over from there. It helps to find some real life pics to use as inspiration when making your texture.

YoungSykotic182

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • @YoungSykotic182
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
The only thing i know how to do is use tools :P
I don't know how to change the resolution and stuff XD
When you create a new image the first thing it does is have you set the size of the image in pixels.

http://gyazo.com/a92a1aee398c618716a1c4895f21504f

Selecting the image option in the command bar at the top will also let you resize the current image.

http://gyazo.com/c89dfe4d43099c2657df30dd0ec179c6

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 04:32:32 AM »
You can't use MS Paint because it does not support transparency. Use Paint.Net. To draw a single pixel in Paint.Net, select the Pencil tool and the color.

I wasnt planning on messing around with the transparent blocks just yet. I was just hoping to use MS Paint as a kickstart so that I get a feel for the art of designing a pack. Then, if anything turned out at all good, I would transfer said texture(s) over to paint.net or another program.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
I wasnt planning on messing around with the transparent blocks just yet. I was just hoping to use MS Paint as a kickstart so that I get a feel for the art of designing a pack. Then, if anything turned out at all good, I would transfer said texture(s) over to paint.net or another program.
Paint.Net is just as easy as MS Paint to learn and use as a beginner, and for a lot of techniques it's easier. I'd suggest just start with Paint.Net, no point having to learn two paint programs. Paint.Net is free too.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »
I think your missing the HD or sd template for blocks
The templates are just for layout, not the actual image sizes. I've updated the posts to specify the exact image sizes for each resolution.

and can we have the current sd original tp for reference or inspiration.
No, I don't want people submitting texture packs that are just the originals with edits.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
Is it possible that we could get the template that is already filled in so we can use it for comparison and also to get the idea on how to do more complicated things such as water and fire.

The templates are just for layout, not the actual image sizes. I've updated the posts to specify the exact image sizes for each resolution.
No, I don't want people submitting texture packs that are just the originals with edits.

This may be the case but this information could be stated at the beginning of the picture or as a water mark over it, let people know that the pack would not be added. It helps a lot to have the original image in many different fields, especially for animation/sky effects, things like that.

It is also needed in order to see how items should be placed, for example, in Minecraft a pickaxe is made diagonally, in TM it is up straight, how would someone know that? I only know from the previous images.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:42:28 PM by Mr. Jaz »

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 01:06:10 AM »
I have a question about making textures. Do I have to shrink it down to 32 x 32 or 64 x 64 first, then design the block? or can I design a 800 x 800 block then shrink it down?

Also, if I'm understanding this right, I can make blocks 64 x 64 but items are only 32 x 32 at most?

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 06:02:12 AM »
I have a question about making textures. Do I have to shrink it down to 32 x 32 or 64 x 64 first, then design the block? or can I design a 800 x 800 block then shrink it down?

Also, if I'm understanding this right, I can make blocks 64 x 64 but items are only 32 x 32 at most?
The best thing to do would be to resize the template to what ever size the OP says it needs to be for your desired quality, then design the blocks normal size. After designing the block copy and paste it into the template, it should be an exact fit and also cover the red/blue lines.

Do not downscale the block, it won't look nice.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 5 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
Question, What are "Splinter1-8"? Is this something secretive, Or something technical, If the latter, Could that be explained?

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym