Author Topic:  Space Technology!  (Read 345 times)

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
Space Technology!
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
I figured since my last topic got some attention, it seems like some people like astronomy here! Anyways, this topic is about space travel. Well, space technology more or less. I find these topics very interesting. I was reading an article about theoretical engines (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/deep-space-engines), and I had the topic about the fusion engine prior to this. I really love the Fusion engine the most, because it can be built in my time here on Earth. A correction on that article too, it says 2030, but NASA believes they can create one sooner than that. The warp drive would be amazing though.
I believe I saw something(not sure if it was the warp or just similar), but it was about a theoretical device that could enlarge the small holes in the quantum foam, and go through them to go farther in time, back in time, or faster movement.

What do you members think of this topic?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:32:52 PM by demman32 »
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

warhelios

• Respect The Sonic!
  • Awards 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13) Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Space Technology!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »
Here are some cool articles on warp drive engines :)

NASA - Status of "Warp Drive":  http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/warpstat_prt.htm

How NASA might build its very first warp drive: http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-build-its-very-first-warp-drive

I really like the Alcubierre Drive

from i09.com

In his 1994 paper titled, "The Warp Drive: Hyper-Fast Travel Within General Relativity," Alcubierre suggested a mechanism by which space-time could be "warped" both in front of and behind a spacecraft.

Michio Kaku dubbed Alcubierre's notion a "passport to the universe." It takes advantage of a quirk in the cosmological code that allows for the expansion and contraction of space-time, and could allow for hyper-fast travel between interstellar destinations. Essentially, the empty space behind a starship would be made to expand rapidly, pushing the craft in a forward direction passengers would perceive it as movement despite the complete lack of acceleration.

White speculates that such a drive could result in "speeds" that could take a spacecraft to Alpha Centauri in a mere two weeks even though the system is 4.3 light-years away.

Check out the whole article, it's some very cool science. :)

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
  • Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
Re: Space Technology!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »
That is very interesting. Then thing is, he can't really 'test' the idea. It would have to be scaled down  massively to be recorded.

Funny though, in the show Eureka, they have the first FtL system.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!