Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Education  (Read 514 times)

MountainDewIt

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: cooldude013
Re: Education
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
Yes jobs are important,but we shouldn't spend that many years preparing for well actually College and then a job. More time needs to be spent on things that are really important.

TDi Saint

• View Profile
  • Xbox: TDi Saint
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
Education should only be preparing you for a job/higher education I'd say.

Previous generations have managed to pay taxes and raise families so I don't see why we should have it taught in schools.

They are things you learn as you go along and as you do them, not something you get out of a textbook, and even if you would rather read about it then there's no harm in a bit of independent learning.

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
Your argument is self defeating. Either you went to public school and are living proof that the system didnt do that or you were homeschooled and thus cant speak firsthand.

Also, you could make the same argument with a positive tone, if you wanted: Mandatory education teaches restraint and responsibility to hyperactive little sociopaths and prepares children to be productive members of society, contributing in exchange for recieving.
I don't dispute that in order to maintain a structure of this nature will require a form of mandatory, engineered education, which is patchwork on a old engine imo.

DiamondBack662

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
I'm quite thankful for my formal education. It opened many doors that otherwise would have been closed, kept me employed during even tough economic times, and has allowed more freedom in life than I'd have had under the thumb of Uncle Sugar's handout program which is nothing much more than a form of populace control or modern slavery.
I've expanded my education far beyond that which I gained in School as well. I'm constantly seeking to learn new things and in turn they lead me to new interests in life. I frankly feel sorry for anyone that doesn't seek knowledge. I think that's why so many lack purpose and direction in life. Those with tiny minds lead tiny lives. Frankly there are too many of those.

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
To the OP
I think the problem with your situation is that many K-12 grade systems (At least for the united States) do not simply teach towards knowledge. For example in the state of Florida, the FCAT is taken by students grade 3-11, who must score 3 out of 5 points total for reading, math, and science. I think grade schools teach more to the tests than to simple knowledge.

Even more prominent programs in grade school, such as the International Baccalaureate Program or the Advanced Placement courses only teach you to get a high score on the exams administered at the end of the year.

Unfortunately it would be hard to change this system. We cannot bank to the assumption that students simply learn the information provided. State budget systems depend upon test scores for standardized tests like the FCAT to determine budgeting to schools, so we would still need a statistical variable to see how schools perform.
You make me smile!

Stormthorn

• View Profile
  • Xbox: WafleHouse 4Tet
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
I can agree that teaching just to meet some standard on a specific test is a bad way of doing things.

Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Being out of the K-12 system now, I can look back and say that 95% of my high school classes were just repeating what my elementary school had taught. They make you do the same thing year after year, the only difference is they might use a bit bigger words. The only classes I could say I learned something in were my electives(marine biology, web design, game design, graphic design). But the teachers didn't seem to care much, they were just looking for their next paycheck. And I had one freshmen year who hated the class and halfway through each lecture would just say "I'm done, teach yourselves" and waddle back over to her desk. She even once told us to go die in an earthquake. At the end of the year party for all the other classes she showed us the chips and snacks the other classes had and told us we could just sit there for an hour until the class is over.

but now being in college, of my 3 classes it seems like 2 of the teachers actually teach things that weren't gone over in elementary school, and so far it is a much more enjoyable experience

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Xalron

• The Bourg Will Assimilate
    • View Profile
    • Bourg Computer Sciences
  • Xbox: D3LTA ST0RM
  • Steam: Xalron
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
The school system here in Texas is good for an average person, all they are going to do is go work at a desk. Thanks to several Universities and Colleges, I luckily have specialized program that allows me to learn from experience and not memorization and worksheets.

Now, I have been to many different school districts, one of which was Denton ISD. This school district classified me as Mentally macaroni saladed. Following this, I was bullied by the staff and students at the said district. I was sent to the "Alternative School for Undisciplined Children".

I'm sure y'all have seen my knowledge, and this was NOT due to schooling. It came from extensive experience in my free time. Now, I have learned some things in schooling, but not much.

I am currently a Freshman and already have a third of my high school credits and am in a College sponsored academy of Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. This program uses "Project based learning" and allows me to learn my way.

I would say that I do have a gift for learning and am most thankful for it.
- Xalron, formerly D3LTA FRO5T

Xalron

• The Bourg Will Assimilate
    • View Profile
    • Bourg Computer Sciences
  • Xbox: D3LTA ST0RM
  • Steam: Xalron
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »
The power ranger thing was superposed to be Re-tarded
- Xalron, formerly D3LTA FRO5T

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Agykoo
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »
i didnt feel like starting a new topic XD ^_^

anywho, since this is about edgucation i figuered i would post it here. getting older now (i have been here for over 3 years XD). i am getting close to the point where i need to aculty start focuesing more on what i want to do with my life, and what i want to study.

the problem tho.........i have not a clue in hell what i want to do.

i am intrested in medician. but i am very worryed about where my countrys health care system is going.
like wise, if i do decied on medican, exspcaily as a doctor. then i am kinda locked into it for life. since its 4-5 years pre med. then 4 years of medical school, then 5-7 years of recadency after.
and honsilty, its not even the 8-9 years of school that worrys me, that aculty seems fun to be honist here. what scars the abosolot hell out of me, is resadencey. my brother is in it rigth now and i dont know how hes is still alive, i dont think he even knows how he is still alive.
here in amaerica some years back there where changes to how long resedents could work. it was limted to 80 hours a week and needing to have at lest 8 hours between shifts. however sadly, none of the hopistals follow this. worse, if you speak up your labeled for life and hurt your carrer. so even after his 8 years of schooling, and hes tehcnickly a doctor rigth now as hes an MD. even with that hes working 14-16+ hour shifts a day for 12 days on, then he gets 2 days off. as well as barly gettign by money wise. likewise the crap he gets, he knows hes just tehcnickly an interen to them (even tho hes a doctor), but the amoutn of hate for the first years is infathamable. hes shocked by it all, and he counts him self lucky becuse hes not even the one they come down hardist on. and inbetween the 8 hours he has form when he leaves to he has to be back, he also has to keep up with resurch.....
i dont knwo about you, but that scares me. sure maybe i am just weak and a coword, but i dont know, that just seems like to much for me to handle, even tho i really want to be a doctor.
sadly hes stuck with that for at lest his first year, suposidily it gets better after that, and even more so as the years go on. but i just dont know if i could handle that.
sure i dont need to be a doctor, but its what i want (for now).

i dont know, i guess i am just venting looking for advice. as i do have some time to decied still, but that doesint help the deep anxaity i get over this. agy hates anxaity :(

any who, what does any one think? ^_^
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:13:39 PM by Agykoo »
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^