Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Education  (Read 493 times)

Shorts the Environmentalist

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Shortpants128
Re: Education
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
i didnt feel like starting a new topic XD ^_^

anywho, since this is about edgucation i figuered i would post it here. getting older now (i have been here for over 3 years XD). i am getting close to the point where i need to aculty start focuesing more on what i want to do with my life, and what i want to study.

the problem tho.........i have not a clue in hell what i want to do.

i am intrested in medician. but i am very worryed about where my countrys health care system is going.
like wise, if i do decied on medican, exspcaily as a doctor. then i am kinda locked into it for life. since its 4-5 years pre med. then 4 years of medical school, then 5-7 years of recadency after.
and honsilty, its not even the 8-9 years of school that worrys me, that aculty seems fun to be honist here. what scars the abosolot hell out of me, is resadencey. my brother is in it rigth now and i dont know how hes is still alive, i dont think he even knows how he is still alive.
here in amaerica some years back there where changes to how long resedents could work. it was limted to 80 hours a week and needing to have at lest 8 hours between shifts. however sadly, none of the hopistals follow this. worse, if you speak up your labeled for life and hurt your carrer. so even after his 8 years of schooling, and hes tehcnickly a doctor rigth now as hes an MD. even with that hes working 14-16+ hour shifts a day for 12 days on, then he gets 2 days off. as well as barly gettign by money wise. likewise the crap he gets, he knows hes just tehcnickly an interen to them (even tho hes a doctor), but the amoutn of hate for the first years is infathamable. hes shocked by it all, and he counts him self lucky becuse hes not even the one they come down hardist on. and inbetween the 8 hours he has form when he leaves to he has to be back, he also has to keep up with resurch.....
i dont knwo about you, but that scares me. sure maybe i am just weak and a coword, but i dont know, that just seems like to much for me to handle, even tho i really want to be a doctor.
sadly hes stuck with that for at lest his first year, suposidily it gets better after that, and even more so as the years go on. but i just dont know if i could handle that.
sure i dont need to be a doctor, but its what i want (for now).

i dont know, i guess i am just venting looking for advice. as i do have some time to decied still, but that doesint help the deep anxaity i get over this. agy hates anxaity :(

any who, what does any one think? ^_^
I wish I could give you advice about medicare, but I just don't know anything. All I can tell you is if you find something fascinating, go ahead and do it.

I just know one thing and I want to get into the tech field. where exactly? I don't know... but I have 2-3 years to decide on that.
I'm an Architect

Agykoo

• Extreme Member
  • Spring time DOOM BEE! getting ma flower on ^_^!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Agykoo
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:51 PM »
I wish I could give you advice about medicare, but I just don't know anything. All I can tell you is if you find something fascinating, go ahead and do it.

I just know one thing and I want to get into the tech field. where exactly? I don't know... but I have 2-3 years to decide on that.

my appolgies if you got meidcare form any thing in that wall of text, I ment medican ^_^

yea for sure I love medicain. just theres soooo many thing to do in it XD, for sure I want to aim for doctor, but then it becomes a private or military? and then form there get gets more complicated. hehe, I know I have forever to decied. its just it would be a lot more reassuring if I knew where I was going ^_^

cool on the tech field ^_^, what exsactly tech tho? computers and such?? ^_^
My point has finally been made ^_^ (viva la Agy!)

anywho

Under construction ^_^! (probably something spring/Doom Bee related XD) ^_^

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »
my appolgies if you got meidcare form any thing in that wall of text, I ment medican ^_^

yea for sure I love medicain. just theres soooo many thing to do in it XD, for sure I want to aim for doctor, but then it becomes a private or military? and then form there get gets more complicated. hehe, I know I have forever to decied. its just it would be a lot more reassuring if I knew where I was going ^_^

cool on the tech field ^_^, what exsactly tech tho? computers and such?? ^_^
yeah, computers, phones, robotics, etc..

or even s=continue with my thought of me an architect or an engineer.
I'm an Architect

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
My thoughts on education:

Kindergarten and Elementary school weren't a problem for me. They are really just there to teach you the basics of how school works. And my elementary school did that. Not much else, but not much else was necessary.

Middle school was an absolute disaster. Not only was my social and emotional life the most unstable back then, but the school system was not designed to teach the student body anything whatsoever. It had the philosophy of elementary school with the structure of high school. The only classes I actually took anything out of were my math classes, but only because math in and of itself is based on how you build your knowledge up.

High school has been a give and a take for me. I enjoy learning very much. So long as 1. The subject interests me and 2. It is presented by a relate-able person who I enjoy listening to. Because most of my classes have been taught by teachers that I both admire and respect, high school has been mostly enjoyable. Mostly. There are still a handful of classes of which I have learned next to nothing, either because of the incompetence of the teachers or because of the material being uninteresting.

College I have no comment on.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
My thoughts on education:

Kindergarten and Elementary school weren't a problem for me. They are really just there to teach you the basics of how school works. And my elementary school did that. Not much else, but not much else was necessary.

Middle school was an absolute disaster. Not only was my social and emotional life the most unstable back then, but the school system was not designed to teach the student body anything whatsoever. It had the philosophy of elementary school with the structure of high school. The only classes I actually took anything out of were my math classes, but only because math in and of itself is based on how you build your knowledge up.

High school has been a give and a take for me. I enjoy learning very much. So long as 1. The subject interests me and 2. It is presented by a relate-able person who I enjoy listening to. Because most of my classes have been taught by teachers that I both admire and respect, high school has been mostly enjoyable. Mostly. There are still a handful of classes of which I have learned next to nothing, either because of the incompetence of the teachers or because of the material being uninteresting.

College I have no comment on.
lol this is how I went through with my life.

One problem this year at my high school is adding a thing called "E-Block" - Its a 40 minute session dedicated to students who can just do makeup work or tests in a class. they have a home class but can be assigned to classes if they have to do work for one of their classes. The downside is your home class you have to be in for at least 1 time a week, and if you don't have anywhere to go, you stay at your home class. Now you're stuck with the same kids for 4 years, for me its 3 because it started this year but im already a sophomore, And they put me in a class full of kids who have harassed and bullied me throughout elementary and middle school............ so I easily plan on switching out of that Eblock class.

Another problem is me needing to bus to the other high school for a class. CADD (Computer-Aided Drafting and Design). I only get 1 hour to be in the class because of how the bus schedule works, instead of a typical 1 hour and 20 minutes. Soooo that sucks... this class is a first block class, but I apparently can NOT get a ride to the other high school in the morning for some apparent reason..... a little depressing (thanks trashua school district).

I'm an Architect

RF In The Jet

• Supreme Member
  • I love this community, You read my name wrong ;)
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Get Inn The Jet
  • PSN: Get_Inn_The_Jet
  • Steam: Get_Inn_The_Jet
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 11:47:38 PM »
Been a while since this has been replied to, but no need to start a new topic when there is already one here.

My thoughts on the education system, at least in Canada (probably all of NA, I live close enough to the states to be affected by theyre education system) is that sk-12 is an absolute joke. The education system USED to be about learning and teaching students how to do their work. Teaching students how to manage their time, be responsible, work hard - now, all the education system system is doing is teach students how to cheat the system, and get through life with out doing anything to earn that success.

Teachers ARE NOT ALLOWED to fail students in grade/high school anymore. a student can not hand in any work all semester, not show up 35 times, do no work, and still pass because of the initiative education programs. The government has basically said students get their 12 (14) years of education, and that is it. they will not spend money on any more. Therefore, the teachers are forced to pass every student.

dont do work? doesnt matter, youll still pass. what does this teach the kids of this generation? There are kids in grade 12 who do not know what 16/2 is - i can tell you this from personal experience. Our education system only cares about money, and soon the kids going through it will be out in the real world, having jobs that they shouldnt.

Years ago high school had said F**K the rules, we are still going to fail kids, this is high school, kids can fail, it isnt grade school anymore. but theyve succumbed the gov'ts orders. Now Universities are the ones saying they wont stand down, but they will. soon enough theyll dumbdown the system too so anyone can pass.

Our education system has become about money, and not pure student education in its purity. it is depressing.
Host of Communicraft

Thanks GK +Grim

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »
Since I've now lived long enough to experience college I'll voice my opinion on my experience so far:

Mind you, I'm going to community college, so what I'm paying for isn't putting me thousands of dollars in debt, but I honestly  feel like I could attend school for the next 20 years of my life and enjoy every minute of it.

Learning about all these different subjects, even ones that I didn't think I'd enjoy, like geography, have become fun and easy. Its all just a matter of working hard and having a good English professor (essay writing is a huge component of pretty much every class, except math courses).

I love that some profs aren't afraid to teach us like adults, cause we are.

I love that there's so much freedom, in the profs you pick, the hours you're there, and the courses you take.

But most of all, I love the teacher student dynamic. This semester I lucked out with two of my profs, in English and Geography. Both of them, while they have really challenging courses, give great feedback, and are available to talk inside and outside of class pretty much all day. Most professors are like that, at least in my experience, and its something that I feel is pretty unique to college.

Also, for the first time in my life, I feel like I'm really learning something. Not just memorizing formulas and following formats, but I feel like I'm challenging myself and thinking critically.

I love college.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Been a while since this has been replied to, but no need to start a new topic when there is already one here.

My thoughts on the education system, at least in Canada (probably all of NA, I live close enough to the states to be affected by theyre education system) is that sk-12 is an absolute joke. The education system USED to be about learning and teaching students how to do their work. Teaching students how to manage their time, be responsible, work hard - now, all the education system system is doing is teach students how to cheat the system, and get through life with out doing anything to earn that success.

Teachers ARE NOT ALLOWED to fail students in grade/high school anymore. a student can not hand in any work all semester, not show up 35 times, do no work, and still pass because of the initiative education programs. The government has basically said students get their 12 (14) years of education, and that is it. they will not spend money on any more. Therefore, the teachers are forced to pass every student.

dont do work? doesnt matter, youll still pass. what does this teach the kids of this generation? There are kids in grade 12 who do not know what 16/2 is - i can tell you this from personal experience. Our education system only cares about money, and soon the kids going through it will be out in the real world, having jobs that they shouldnt.

Years ago high school had said F**K the rules, we are still going to fail kids, this is high school, kids can fail, it isnt grade school anymore. but theyve succumbed the gov'ts orders. Now Universities are the ones saying they wont stand down, but they will. soon enough theyll dumbdown the system too so anyone can pass.

Our education system has become about money, and not pure student education in its purity. it is depressing.

Can I just say, That is honestly one of the most horrifying things I've ever heard.

And even if it weren't horrifying, It doesn't seem efficient either.
It looks like they are thinking short term, Rather than long term.

Paying for a child's education is like investing in their future.
Sure they are saving money now, But if the kids can't hold a job due to lack of actual education, Then they get less of a return on their investment in the long run.

If they take their time, And invest in proper education for the kids, They may have less money in the short term, But they'd make a much bigger return on their investment.

But by far the biggest problem I see is people getting jobs they aren't qualified for.

Can you imagine if someone was hired for an underwater welding job, But they didn't know how to dive, Or weld?
What about electricians who know nothing about wiring a house?

Where does it end, Cashiers who can't do math and give out their best guess in change?

It's just stupid.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 07:13:11 AM »
In school, I learned to read, write, etc. The basics stuck with me, which I feel that makes elementary school a mandatory need.

Middle school is where they introduced me to history and science as special study areas. I passed history with 110% and science with 93%. All I remember is that the black plague was caused by rats and that scalpels are sharp.

With that being said, it was useless information to me and I don't feel that unless you plan to get a career in those areas, that they shouldn't be mandatory. History can teach us a lot, but there is so many things that we don't need to learn. Give us the main points and be done with it.

In middle school, I learned that woodshop, home economics, and art class was taken out because it was deemed "not necessary"...

...those were 3 classes that I would have loved. They would each have been more beneficial to me that science or history.

In highschool. Chemistry, statistics, advanced algebra, algebra 2, calculus, Spanish, biology, and earth science did me no good. I was good at math, now I remember maybe 10% of it. With a good portion of those being mandatory, it made it hard to focus on the subjects that I did good in or was interested in.

P.E., was graded as so. If you dressed in shorts of the school color and a t shirt, you get a "C". Period. Next, you get a "B" if you do that, and show up. You get an "A" if you participate. That did not teach me one thing, other than when you run a mile, don't sprint the first 2 laps.

Art class taught me what a medium is, shading, and color balance... Which I figured out on my own before I was 8. If applied right, art would be a great class. Instead, you get taught terms and stuff that doesn't make you a good artist. A good artist is made through practice.

Lastly, a vast majority of how effective the learning process is, is how it is presented. If you are a visual learner, you learn from seeing it done. Not reading a book. The teachers should be more into the subject that they are teaching. I had a chemistry teacher that blew stuff up every other day, kissed roaches, and had a real dino skeleton in his class. This guy was freaking cool, and he made it fun. That's how you learn. My Algebra 2 teacher played metal solos on his guitar during class and his lecture on vectors... Was about the gun "Vector" from CoD MW2.

The way the government thinks school should be ran is dead wrong.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 07:17:29 AM »
I also don't agree with the fact that you need a paper that says what you can do, in order for someone to want anything to do with you.

I can do any kind of art(and well) and I've done construction, yet I won't get hired for any of those unless I buy a paper with 4 years and $80,000+ that says I can.