Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Education  (Read 518 times)

MountainDewIt

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: cooldude013
Education
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
THIS IS A TOPIC ABOUT EDUMACATION

Now, you are probably going to think that this is a dumb topic. It could be and could not be. I did think that this should be in the Adult Discussion because if we had 10 year olds in it, they would all be like, "It's stupid and you should not have to be forced to go!!!!" We all know that if given the chance, most people would drop out of school. I am 14, but I have a strong opinion about schooling. I do also realize that education is different depending on where you are from. Texas, US has different requirements than Finland.

Now, my opinion, keep in mind I am from the US. So, I believe that a good education is very important, for some people. There are jobs out there that can be done with little or no education. Some people may prefer these jobs because they interest them. Although they don't have to go to college, they still have to finish high school, and most of it is a waste of time to them. English, for an example, is very useless for me at this stage. You can see that my English is pretty good. Do I know every single rule? No. Do I need to? No. So really, being forced to take an English class for the next four years of my life is very pointless since I'm not going to be a writer or have a job that has to do with the English I will learn from here on out. This is the same for many of my friends.

Also, being forced to go to a school and sit in a class for several hours in a day is not doing anything. If I have been sitting for an hour and now must change classes and sit for another hour, I am going to be bored very quick. If I'm bored, it's harder for me to pay attention. I will do worse in this class. I took Algebra I this past year in 8th grade. Almost everyday, for my second period, I would go in, grade homework, then take notes for the rest of the class period. Then I'd go onto the next class and take notes again. Then again. For the first four hours of my day almost everyday, I was taking notes. There has to be a more efficient way to do this, right?

Then, after several months of the repeated thing, we must test. We have to remember everything from that year. I believe I horribly failed on these test this year. I believe I did well in History and okay in On-Demand Writing. I do realize that the finals in high school will be a little different, but it's still a test. Maybe the amount of test taken in a year should be lowered?

Those were just some of my opinions on the school system in my area. I don't believe education should disappear, just have reform that will help the students. What are your opinions on your school system?

TDi Saint

• View Profile
  • Xbox: TDi Saint
Re: Education
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
The only problem I have with education for me (UK) is that the current education minister is introducing/trying to introduce a load of ridiculous changes such as no January exams and no coursework.

I just feel it's pretty ridiculous, on the no January exams thing I understand that most people don't do well in them since you're being entered to the exam early but despite this I found them extremely helpful. To give an example I sat early entry exams for all 4 of my subjects. I did great in one so that just meant I had less to worry about in Summer. The other 3 I messed up. Doesn't sound good but it really pushed me to work harder for the Summer exams whether they be resits or not.

And on the no coursework thing. Granted on some subjects such as maths and science fair enough. But in other like English, Drama and I.C.T it just makes no sense at all.

Shorts the Environmentalist

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Shortpants128
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
I have a problem with who runs m my district, and how much the a teachers and bus drivers can get away with....they can get away with hitting me, and nobody believeing me after...( literally happened to me before) but I'm on my phone now, so I will not go into explaining till larer
I'm an Architect

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
I think the compulsory education systems beat the creative, naturally inquisitive soul out of children & teaches them to be obedient, uniform drones, rewarded mostly for efficiently reciting the knowledge they were force-fed in preparation to likely spend about a third of the rest of their life working & paying tax to the same system which offered their lack of choice to begin with.

Shorts the Environmentalist

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Shortpants128
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Ill tell you this....your not wrong at all. They 100% do that.
I'm an Architect

Stormthorn

• View Profile
  • Xbox: WafleHouse 4Tet
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
I think the compulsory education systems beat the creative, naturally inquisitive soul out of children & teaches them to be obedient, uniform drones, rewarded mostly for efficiently reciting the knowledge they were force-fed in preparation to likely spend about a third of the rest of their life working & paying tax to the same system which offered their lack of choice to begin with.

Your argument is self defeating. Either you went to public school and are living proof that the system didnt do that or you were homeschooled and thus cant speak firsthand.

Also, you could make the same argument with a positive tone, if you wanted: Mandatory education teaches restraint and responsibility to hyperactive little sociopaths and prepares children to be productive members of society, contributing in exchange for recieving.

Spoiler for Hidden Content:

MountainDewIt

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
All mandatory education does is prepare you for a job. Sure I need a job, but there are so many more important things to learn. How to do taxes, how to raise a family. Now, you could say that the parents are suppose to teach you this stuff. Well what about the parents who are dead, don't care about their child, or busy constantly? How are those kids suppose to learn? Education needs to start focusing on more important things then 12-13 mandatory years of school leading up to a job.

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
All mandatory education does is prepare you for a job. Sure I need a job, but there are so many more important things to learn. How to do taxes, how to raise a family. Now, you could say that the parents are suppose to teach you this stuff. Well what about the parents who are dead, don't care about their child, or busy constantly? How are those kids suppose to learn? Education needs to start focusing on more important things then 12-13 mandatory years of school leading up to a job.
Without a job you don't need to pay bills, you'll be living in the streets.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

MountainDewIt

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
Without a job you don't need to pay bills, you'll be living in the streets.
Yes jobs are important, but we shouldn't spend that many years preparing for well actually College and then a job. More time needs to be spent on things that are really important.

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
You're telling me a job isn't important? Do you expect someone to start a family with you if you don't have a job? Do you expect to get a good home without a job? Do you expect to get a good paying job without a good education? I don't see why education gets so much hate.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!