Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Celebrity News Magazines  (Read 78 times)

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
Celebrity News Magazines
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »
I've decided to make a topic discussing celebrity news magazines, examples including People, E! News, US Weekly, Star, etc.

First of all, do you read them? What are your opinions on these magazines and what they promote?

I am kind of on the fence about them. I find that they sort of invade the private lives of these celebrities, and almost make bounty hunters of the paparazzi who are paid to get "exclusive shots".
This could raise other questions about which is worse, the paparazzi who have been stereotyped to tresspass and hunt down celebrities to get photos, or the news corporations who instigate their journalists and photographers to do questionable acts?

News corporations would only be producing this excessive gossip if people were buying this stuff. What do the magazines say about our society in general?

If your country that you reside in has celebrity news media like the examples above, please share your thoughts too!
You make me smile!

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
Re: Celebrity News Magazines
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:16:55 AM »
I don't read them except maybe if I'm in a waiting room at the doctors or something.

I don't have an opinion on this type of media, they're not a significant part of my life.

What do they say about our society? I think it's more a matter of human nature. To me, this type of media is just an extended form of gossip. Gossip has been an important part of human life since human life began, in all societies. (and possibly other high order social animals).

Humans have been trading information since life began, and gossip has often been part of that information.

Technology has enabled the business to become what it is today.

If you believe in cause and effect, then ultimately you have to blame the consumer. Without the consumer, there is no market. But there is nothing wrong with a bit of gossip. I find it difficult to blame a creature for acting on it's nature (unless it's a violent act and they have the intelligence to understand the act is wrong).

So really, every step of the chain is to blame.

The consumer for endorcing the madness.
The paparazzi for their greed (and endorcing the madness).
The corporations for exploiting human nature (and endorcing the madness).

All three are also guilty of a lack of respect for anothers wish to privacy.

One might argue, hey, they're celebrities, they knew the game before they got into it, they knew their privacy would be taken from them. I think that's valid, but only to a degree. It doesn't matter how famous a person is, they should be able to enjoy some privacy occasionally. But with technology now, it's becoming harder and harder for celebrities, particularly super celebrities, to get any privacy at all.