Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Some changes  (Read 1634 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Some changes
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »
So you might have noticed there's now a little bit of ad silliness going on. If you haven't noticed, well then scroll down a little bit and/or disable adblock to see.

So you may be asking yourself right now "But I thought the forums were gonna go away, but now I'm seeing an ad for the discontinued white Xbox One S with free 2 day Prime™ shipping! What is going on in this crazy world?" Well the answer to that is I'm going to try to keep the forums around. But it'll require some changes to do that. Since the forums began they've earned exactly $0.00. But with TM no longer in active development, they're going to need to become self sustaining to stick around. My goal here isn't to become rich, or even make any money for myself. The goal is simply for them to generate enough revenue to pay for itself. That's it. I know ads suck. I have an irrational hatred of them and I don't like seeing them any more than anybody else, but it's a way to survive. If there's any money left over after paying the bills, I hope to throw it into a pot to use for more giveaways. My intention for the ads is to be as unobtrusive as possible, so I'm not going to spam 90 of them on a page. Any ad that wants to autoplay a video or make a bunch of irritating sounds, or give people seizures with a bunch of obnoxious flashing is not going to be welcomed here.

And now for some other things. Again, with TM no longer being developed, we're going to have to become more generalized. So expect to see things like the gaming section expanded, ie: Clans section and videos sections will no longer be TM specific. Tags for different platforms and such will be added, the only 1 thread per game rule goes away. Stuff like that. Fear not, none of the TM specific stuff is going away. All your old content will be sticking around, just possibly rearranged, ie: Bug reports will get archived. The downloads section isn't going away, all your TM mods will always be welcome here. And you'll still be free to post new TM related topics just as you've always been. And that way if there are some new developments in the TM world, we'll be right here to pick up right where we left off.

One thing that will be going away is the group section, nobody uses it so it's finally going to be mercy killed. Consider this fair warning, if you have anything in any of your groups that you're particularly concerned about, download it.

I'll probably be swapping to a new theme at some point, because I've been staring at this one for 6 years now.

I'll probably add some new awards to go with the new direction. They'll most likely be based on your activity levels, so people who don't post will be getting jack squat as far as that's concerned.

And that's about all I can think of for the moment. If you have questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, etc. feel free to post them below.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber (2013-2019)
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
Re: Some changes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 02:07:52 PM »
Turned ad blocker off to help support the site. :)

/mm Thanks GK for Sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm YouTube: Mythical Monkey /mm

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
    • Jack Of Shades Youtube Gaming Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »
so people who don't post will be getting jack squat as far as that's concerned.
You're all damn right I'm not squatting for inactive folks! I'll not lower my booty for one second until I see some words.

With that aside, I'm stoked to hear the news. And this was a funny good read as well.

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »
Turned ad blocker off to help support the site. :)
Much appreciated

I'll not lower my booty for one second until I see some words.

I predict 7,000 new threads in the next 5 minutes in this case

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
I predict 7,000 new threads in the next 5 minutes in this case
Better start stretching I suppose. So, this will be a general purpose forum now, eh?

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »
So, this will be a general purpose forum now, eh?
More or less. We've already got a well established community, so why let it just scatter?

I figure this way If Craig does decide to do open source, we're still here for anyone that may want to post updates on what they're working on.

Or if say Craig decides to do a new game at some point, everything is all set up and ready to go at a moments notice.

*note: this doesn't mean I have any super secret information that I'm not telling people about

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • ☽♕۞♕☾
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
Pretty valid point. Keeps us insane folk together in one place so we can't cause problems elsewhere. Smart.

Well now I'm paranoid. You're hiding something, and detective pika-....Jack, is going to get to the bottom of it. Eventually. Maybe next week.

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 07:28:58 AM »
I got rid of the Amazon ads and switched to something else because the Amazon ones irritated me with their general hugeness.

Edit: and then I almost immediately got rid of the replacement because it tried to open a pop up window. That's a no-no

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
Where should I be seeing the ads? I turned off my adblocker on this site to support the forums but I don't see any ads yet.

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
Where should I be seeing the ads? I turned off my adblocker on this site to support the forums but I don't see any ads yet.
At the moment there's just some text links beneath the 1st post on each page. I've deleted everything else for the time being until I find something that isn't super annoying.