Poll

Should total miner be made open source?

Yes
No

Author Topic: [Game] Make total miner open source  (Read 1973 times)

HaloFan6234

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: HaloFan62
[Game] Re: Make total miner open source
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »
Seems like a good idea though do we know total miner would change in a good way or a bad way. People have different ideas some good some bad. Honestly whether or not this game gets multiplayer ill still play it no doubt

Hayden

• Elite Member
  • Hey babe
  • Awards 1 year on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: mister m0nk3y
  • Steam: Hayden
  • Other: 123456789
Re: Make total miner open source
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:42 AM »
Quote from: Jaz

TOTAL MINER: REFORGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing new name if it goes anywhere!
This was my very first idea when Justyn and I discussed a revival project, but he says he thinks its stupid, if it doesn't happen feel free to blame @Justyn
Craig doesn't know me.

Lee155

• S-Rated
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ELITE PRO 52
  • PSN: ELITE_PRO_52
  • Steam: STEAM_0:1:56923512
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
Currently I am sitting A-Level Art alongside my other A-levels. Within Art I get to draw my friends as realistic as possible, using pencil. Quite recently I noticed a really cute girl within one of my classes, I can barely bring myself to speak to her so I thought I'll just ask to draw her so that we can have something to talk about. Some time later, after class I saw her, I caught up to her and very awkwardly asked her if I could draw her, she shouted at me "no". An embarrassingly painful experience which permanently changed me. Finding out that the game I've played since I was eleven years old (am now eighteen) is becoming abandon-ware, hurts me, just as much as that girl shouting "no" at me, having to let go of all those memories of "cobblestone city", my parkour map, and my mining map, 7 whole years of just memories, gone, in an instant. Furthermore not being able to ever play this game with my friends, hurts even more. I love this game, I love the people I played it with and the people I met.

I hope you can understand why I want this game to become open-source.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
Currently I am sitting A-Level Art alongside my other A-levels. Within Art I get to draw my friends as realistic as possible, using pencil. Quite recently I noticed a really cute girl within one of my classes, I can barely bring myself to speak to her so I thought I'll just ask to draw her so that we can have something to talk about. Some time later, after class I saw her, I caught up to her and very awkwardly asked her if I could draw her, she shouted at me "no". An embarrassingly painful experience which permanently changed me. Finding out that the game I've played since I was eleven years old (am now eighteen) is becoming abandon-ware, hurts me, just as much as that girl shouting "no" at me, having to let go of all those memories of "cobblestone city", my parkour map, and my mining map, 7 whole years of just memories, gone, in an instant. Furthermore not being able to ever play this game with my friends, hurts even more. I love this game, I love the people I played it with and the people I met.

I hope you can understand why I want this game to become open-source.

Wow that was deep man. xD
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
I'm not really liking full open source at the moment because I fear it will fragment the game, i.e. several people will copy and maintain their own separate versions of the game, causing several different/diverging versions, all downloadable at different locations, and it won't really help anyone except those individuals.

Possibly a better option is for me to leave the game on Steam as a free game, and make the source code public on my Github account, (or maybe the TM Community Github account). This would retain an 'official' version of the game, and allow anyone to collaborate (make changes) to that version of the game and hopefully reduce the problem above. I would also have to allow a number of people access to the Steamworks page so that they can upload new versions to Steam as they are developed.

Also hopefully we can continue hosting the forum.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
I'm not really liking full open source at the moment because I fear it will fragment the game, i.e. several people will copy and maintain their own separate versions of the game, causing several different/diverging versions, all downloadable at different locations, and it won't really help anyone except those individuals.

Possibly a better option is for me to leave the game on Steam as a free game, and make the source code public on my Github account, (or maybe the TM Community Github account). This would retain an 'official' version of the game, and allow anyone to collaborate (make changes) to that version of the game and hopefully reduce the problem above. I would also have to allow a number of people access to the Steamworks page so that they can upload new versions to Steam as they are developed.

Also hopefully we can continue hosting the forum.

Not a bad idea.

There should definitely remain an official version, perhaps make the first person to create a version with multiplayer the suggested version, that way everyone knows where to go to, and it can also be available on the steam page?

You never know, it might even give you some more inspiration in the future if the community grows.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
perhaps make the first person to create a version with multiplayer the suggested version
Well the idea is we shouldn't have to do or worry about that. By leaving the game on Steam, it should be obvious enough that that's the best version to add anything significant to.

Otherwise there might be a scenario where different people are trying to add multi-player to their own individual copies. But that's not so good for the community. It would be better if those individuals actually worked together on a single version.

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 5 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 12:08:04 AM »
@Craig, Do you really have anything to lose if you keep the game up in the steam store?

I have a few people I still want to introduce into the game, as modding still allows me to produce "updates" of my own, and have a good time in the process.

If there ever comes a time where you did feel the need to add something, the game would still be on the market, and you could update at any time.

DBZWii09

• derp, yo.
    • View Profile
    • my blog-a-derp.
    • Awards
  • Xbox: DBZWii09
  • Steam: DBZWii09
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 04:07:30 AM »
i have high doubts the Epic Games store would also want to pick up Total Miner if it went open source. just saying

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
  • Awards 5 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Awarded to exemplary forum members Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
i have high doubts the Epic Games store would also want to pick up Total Miner if it went open source. just saying
High doubts? - I'd assume so as this wasn't even going to be attempted anyway.

Lee155

• S-Rated
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ELITE PRO 52
  • PSN: ELITE_PRO_52
  • Steam: STEAM_0:1:56923512
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »

Why are you bringing Epic Games into this? So random... randomness like this annoys me, seriously what made you think that anyone desires for Total Miner to be picked up by Epic Games. For the longest time, the community has simply wanted access to the game on PC and multiplayer, where did you get the idea that mentioning Epic Games would help any of us, or even think it's worthy of mentioning, seriously explain the thought process behind why you mentioned Epic Games. I really want to know why, because it is one of the most random things you could have brought up. Explain, or pay for your crimes against ... and it's people.

DBZWii09

• derp, yo.
    • View Profile
    • my blog-a-derp.
    • Awards
  • Xbox: DBZWii09
  • Steam: DBZWii09
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »

Why are you bringing Epic Games into this? So random... randomness like this annoys me, seriously what made you think that anyone desires for Total Miner to be picked up by Epic Games. For the longest time, the community has simply wanted access to the game on PC and multiplayer, where did you get the idea that mentioning Epic Games would help any of us, or even think it's worthy of mentioning, seriously explain the thought process behind why you mentioned Epic Games. I really want to know why, because it is one of the most random things you could have brought up. Explain, or pay for your crimes against ... and it's people.
its a joke, calm down.

Spark

• I'm Italian and I love scripting
  • Awards Top contributors to the forum downloads. 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ShoppingSpark3
  • Steam: Bananatelli
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »

its a joke, calm down.
So you posted a joke in a particular serious topic and then you pretend people to calm down because you were joking.

Of course they don't. Even if they get the joke, they would still get annoyed (I did) because you posted something so random in a thread where everyone is serious.

If I were you, I would've thought 2/3 times before posting a joke in a particular topic to avoid any arguments and keeping it serious.
Amazing Scripter!

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
Keep the topic on the rails please.