Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Poll

Should total miner be made open source?

Yes
No

Author Topic: [Game] Make total miner open source  (Read 7595 times)

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
Make total miner open source
« on: March 30, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
Make it open source so that someone else can develop it!

Nothing for Craig to lose, he's unable to keep developing it and will be removing it from the steam store anyways.

Make it happen so we can potentially have a future with this amazing game!

Releasing unfinished work with this such as animations for unlockables would be amazing too... Again, no down side.

CDJ

• RPG
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: TotalMiner
Re: Make total miner open source
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »
Completely agree with this, i feel this would be best for everyone. Please Craig, i don't want to leave this game behind.

Redsparx

• Professional Scripter
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Redsparx
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »
He Is!?!?! NOOOO!
Keep pressuring Microsoft for Total Miner: Forge on Xbox One

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:31:54 PM »
Completely agree with this, i feel this would be best for everyone. Please Craig, i don't want to leave this game behind.

Best for everyone? Not best for Craig if he doesn't want to make it open source.

Have any of you stopped to think that it's this "I want this" and "we need that" mentality & impatience that's caused this in the first place?

Give the guy a break. It's been 24 hours and you're already trying to dictate what he should do with the game he created and worked so hard on.

You think that's helping him at all? Stop thinking about yourselves and give him the time he needs. There's 8 weeks yet until it's pulled from Steam.

But of course, none of you will. You'll just continue to make things harder.

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »

Best for everyone? Not best for Craig if he doesn't want to make it open source.

Have any of you stopped to think that it's this "I want this" and "we need that" mentality & impatience that's caused this in the first place?

Give the guy a break. It's been 24 hours and you're already trying to dictate what he should do with the game he created and worked so hard on.

You think that's helping him at all? Stop thinking about yourselves and give him the time he needs. There's 8 weeks yet until it's pulled from Steam.

But of course, none of you will. You'll just continue to make things harder.
What are you talking about?

Obviously it's his say, no one is disagreeing with that.

If he says no, everyone will respect that. But what's wrong with showing our interest in having the game live on?

It's going to be pulled from steam, it won't be developed on anymore - He will not be making any more money from this game. - It's going nowhere now, confirmed by Craig himself.

If it's made open-source, there's opportunities there, yes I want that to happen with the potential of things possibly raising to their former glory, but no one is disrespecting anyone here by making a suggestion.

The poll is created as a way of showing how many people would like this game to be given more opportunities.

MrMarooca

• Modder
  • C# 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
    • YouTube - MrMarooca
  • Xbox: MrMarooca
  • Steam: TheWhitestBoyYouKnow
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 12:56:10 AM »

There's no realistic reason for the codebase remaining closed-source if Craig intends to pull it from the store.

Benefits of closed source software:
* Centralization
* Security through obscurity
* Easier to market and profit

None of these apply to TM anymore. An open-source TM would allow people interested in gamedev/programming to learn from a successful game, and contribute code to help fix bugs here and there/potentially implement features.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 05:19:56 PM by MrMarooca »
You want me to give a timeframe? haha I'd have more luck predicting the end of the world.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 03:10:24 AM »
I don't have anything against making it open source.

Though I doubt it would be useful as a learning tool. Xbox 360 optimizations pervade (and massively complicate) the entire code base, possibly up to 75% of the code is written the way it is in order to have the game run well (or run at all) on the 360. Large chunks of code, often very complex, often multi-threaded, exist solely as 360 optimizations. Particularly around dealing with the limited 360 RAM, the 360 garbage collector and the 360 file system. Most of the code doesn't make sense in the context of PC development.

To put it another way, if I was to write the program again for the PC, the code base would be very very different, and a lot simpler.

I'll look into what kind of "ongoing" effort is required to open the source on one of my Github repositories.

Redsparx

• Professional Scripter
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Redsparx
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 04:40:01 AM »
I do have to give credit to Craig. He has tried his best to keep working on the game. I have to respect the fact that the game is not going to be around much longer.
If it was open source, like Scp containment breach, it would allow for people to try their hand at making mods for it. Which could give me a chance to improve my C++ / C /C# skills. JS can only do me so much good.

Craig, if you are reading this, I am very proud of your service to us with your game. You have gave me the creativity and thousands of hours to create scripts of mass destruction and gun fights. You have made my friends rage and laugh. Have a good time and hit my head with the controllers at the same time. I am very upset with your decision, but I have to respect it. I understand that you have lost the drive. Iím sure you understand our point of view too. I hope that you continue down the road knowing that you made a difference in all of us. And my sore head too...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:52:11 AM by Redsparx »
Keep pressuring Microsoft for Total Miner: Forge on Xbox One

verisimilitudedude

• God will protect me, the one who serves him.
    • View Profile
    • EpikkGaming
  • Xbox: DivineExpertise
  • Steam: Expert Spade
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Absolutely. I have contributed nearly 6k hours to the game and reconfigured multiple worlds to be well established on the PC. I did this out of expectancy that the promise of multiplayer being completed would come true, and much excitement. I trust that we as a community have waited much too long for multiplayer, and other updates and features for it to be tossed into the grave. We have stuck by your side and been extremely patient with you (most of the time   :P) in hopes for a greater TM future. It would be a shame if it wasn't open sourced.
[/b]
Twas that the fiend who taunt me, or that the man who taunted his fate?

Kinetic plasma

• TOO MANY DEATHMINES... AGHHHHHHH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »
Such an amazing game all put together by mostly one guy.
This is really a great game and there's plenty of young folks with a passion for this game with great ideas for this game.
Craig if you're reading this first of all thank you for everything you've done for Total Miner and the community. I'm becoming the age of an adult now and finishing highschool school soon. Looking back at my childhood the game that would pop up most in my mind is Total Miner. Total Miner was definitely my favorite game on the 360 and possibly of all the time. I remember not caring and refusing to get an Xbox One for the longest time because it didn't have that one simple Indie game we all love. I can talk about this game until you fall asleep but that's not the point.
Many gamers including myself would love for this game to be open source.
Most games now a days are only made for the money. Total Miner was a game made for the players to enjoy a good game. Games are only getting worse so please let's try to keep the good games we have.
Started Total Miner 8/25/11
Top score in Total Rush Robotic contest 9/8/16
4th person to unlock the Demigod 11/27/16
Expert Builder
Beginner Scripter
Challenge map builder