Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Poll

Should total miner be made open source?

Yes
No

Author Topic: [Game] Make total miner open source  (Read 5548 times)

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
Re: Make total miner open source
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »
Best for everyone? Not best for Craig if he doesn't want to make it open source.

Have any of you stopped to think that it's this "I want this" and "we need that" mentality & impatience that's caused this in the first place?

Give the guy a break. It's been 24 hours and you're already trying to dictate what he should do with the game he created and worked so hard on.

You think that's helping him at all? Stop thinking about yourselves and give him the time he needs. There's 8 weeks yet until it's pulled from Steam.

But of course, none of you will. You'll just continue to make things harder.

So holier than thou. How dare anyone give a avocado about this game right? 

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
So holier than thou. How dare anyone give a avocado about this game right? 

I never said no one should care about the game. Just that there's always other people involved that may have a differing point of view and that people should stop just thinking about what they want (or think they deserve and are entitled to).

But feel free to continue trying to cause an argument after Craig has said he has nothing against making the game open source thus rendering my first post irrelevant.

Sexy Hippo

• Sexiest Hippo on the Forums!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Xbox: xLOLxTSNOOPS
  • Steam: xLOLxTSNOOPS
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
I've had so many memories with this game. I was sad to see the update Craig had posted. Hopefully all works out well with making the game open source. Would love to be apart of TM: Reforged or whatever it ends up being called.
"To all who walk the dark path and to those who walk in the sunshine but hold out a hand in the darkness to travel beside us. Brighter days are coming."

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
I've had so many memories with this game. I was sad to see the update Craig had posted. Hopefully all works out well with making the game open source. Would love to be apart of TM: Reforged or whatever it ends up being called.

TOTAL MINER: REFORGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing new name if it goes anywhere!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:52:16 PM by Jaz »

STARKILLER7851

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
I would enjoy the availability of an open source TM:F. My original suggestion was to find a team to continue where Craig left off, but to make the game open source is also a good solution. This way, both parties are happy, and a modding group can work to finish the game on their own volition.
Current Creative Projects:

SkyCity, a Floating City similar to Midgar from Final Fantasy VII. Made purely with sunblocks and glass

Atlantis City, a vast semi-futuristic underwater resort hotel, complete with a pool, sub docking structure, Skyscraper, mining zones for the optimistic, etc.

HaloFan6234

• View Profile
  • Xbox: HaloFan62
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »
Seems like a good idea though do we know total miner would change in a good way or a bad way. People have different ideas some good some bad. Honestly whether or not this game gets multiplayer ill still play it no doubt

Hayden

• Elite Member
  • Hey babe
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: mister m0nk3y
  • Steam: Hayden
  • Other: 123456789
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:42 AM »
Quote from: Jaz

TOTAL MINER: REFORGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing new name if it goes anywhere!
This was my very first idea when Justyn and I discussed a revival project, but he says he thinks its stupid, if it doesn't happen feel free to blame @Justyn
Craig doesn't know me.

Lee155

• S-Rated
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: ELITE PRO 52
  • PSN: ELITE_PRO_52
  • Steam: STEAM_0:1:56923512
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
Currently I am sitting A-Level Art alongside my other A-levels. Within Art I get to draw my friends as realistic as possible, using pencil. Quite recently I noticed a really cute girl within one of my classes, I can barely bring myself to speak to her so I thought I'll just ask to draw her so that we can have something to talk about. Some time later, after class I saw her, I caught up to her and very awkwardly asked her if I could draw her, she shouted at me "no". An embarrassingly painful experience which permanently changed me. Finding out that the game I've played since I was eleven years old (am now eighteen) is becoming abandon-ware, hurts me, just as much as that girl shouting "no" at me, having to let go of all those memories of "cobblestone city", my parkour map, and my mining map, 7 whole years of just memories, gone, in an instant. Furthermore not being able to ever play this game with my friends, hurts even more. I love this game, I love the people I played it with and the people I met.

I hope you can understand why I want this game to become open-source.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
Currently I am sitting A-Level Art alongside my other A-levels. Within Art I get to draw my friends as realistic as possible, using pencil. Quite recently I noticed a really cute girl within one of my classes, I can barely bring myself to speak to her so I thought I'll just ask to draw her so that we can have something to talk about. Some time later, after class I saw her, I caught up to her and very awkwardly asked her if I could draw her, she shouted at me "no". An embarrassingly painful experience which permanently changed me. Finding out that the game I've played since I was eleven years old (am now eighteen) is becoming abandon-ware, hurts me, just as much as that girl shouting "no" at me, having to let go of all those memories of "cobblestone city", my parkour map, and my mining map, 7 whole years of just memories, gone, in an instant. Furthermore not being able to ever play this game with my friends, hurts even more. I love this game, I love the people I played it with and the people I met.

I hope you can understand why I want this game to become open-source.

Wow that was deep man. xD
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
I'm not really liking full open source at the moment because I fear it will fragment the game, i.e. several people will copy and maintain their own separate versions of the game, causing several different/diverging versions, all downloadable at different locations, and it won't really help anyone except those individuals.

Possibly a better option is for me to leave the game on Steam as a free game, and make the source code public on my Github account, (or maybe the TM Community Github account). This would retain an 'official' version of the game, and allow anyone to collaborate (make changes) to that version of the game and hopefully reduce the problem above. I would also have to allow a number of people access to the Steamworks page so that they can upload new versions to Steam as they are developed.

Also hopefully we can continue hosting the forum.