Author Topic:  My Haunting Memory of the Witch Creek Fire  (Read 407 times)

Vexon X1

• Elite Member
  • "Wait, there are spiders in this game?"
  • Awards 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: FoxyThePirateX1
  • PSN: Dr_Vex_Ender
  • Steam: Vexon X1
My Haunting Memory of the Witch Creek Fire
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
This event, although compared to others isn't too significant but It was enough to permanently engrain a certain night in my mind. This is my account of the Witch Creek Fire.

A News Photograph of the Fire (At around the time my Story takes place)
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

=======================================================================================================================================
The day of October 21st 2007 was a normal day for me. I was in second grade and the day was bright and sunny...clear skies as well. I would go through school with ease, talk with my friends about Sonic and Halo, and Pokemon. Those were the good days. I Would once again go home to no homework, a common occurrence in my class. I mean no homework allowed me to relax right? Anyway I would proceed to run up to my room, turn on my CRT tv and boot up my Wii. I loved that thing! I'm sure I can beat you at Wii Sports Bowling!

After a few hours of Wii Sporting, I would come downstairs for dinner, but something was off. My parents were watching the news instead of eating at the table. It was something about a small fire some distance away. My parents didn't seem too concerned, and I didn't really comprehend a fire. So I ate, and went back upstairs to my computer. I then watched some mid 2000's Youtube. Shortly after that I said goodnight to my parents, and I went into my bed. I had a clear view of the window behind me. I stared up at the night sky...It was amazing...clear...quiet.

Boy I would be wrong.

It seemed like I shut my eyes for only 20 min. Suddenly, as if I was in a dream, My mother rushed in my room and woke me up. She told me we had to go and to pack some clothes. Without hesitation I did. I tried taking my Tv but it was too heavy, So I grabbed my wii and my backpack. I got out of my room into my hallway. My brother was crying and my dogs were panicking. I looked out my dining room window and....It was just grey....weird...right? In around 15 min from when I woke up, my parents ushered us through the door, with my dogs leash in hand. When I stepped outside.... I would see something I wouldn't forget as I still remember it vividly to this day.

My neighbors were either gone or running out of their house into their cars. The sky.....was orange, ash was in the air. I immediately began coughing (Due to severe asthma) and my mother had to pick me up and put me back in the car. I remember looking out the car window as my parents loaded the car. Sirens blaring, cops going door to door. It scared me. My parents would get in the car and they quickly started the ignition. We drove off in a hurry. I was still coughing but It was not as bad as it was when I was outside. We drove out of the residential neighborhood. Onto the freeway out of town....toward Disneyland. Since that was the safest place close to us. But I remember my family deciding later to go to my grandmothers house. Which we did.

On the car ride out...I remember the stereo ironically playing "We didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel. I swear I couldn't make this up. Good song though.

Anyway, It was about a week till the fire would be pushed back. We would then return home...to find our house had been burned but not destroyed. The backyard was destroyed though. And the front door was scorched a little. Nothing too bad. Unfortunately....for many, including some of my friends.. they lost their homes. Coming back to school was quite hard but doable. Everyone as a community came together and healed.

Sadly the fire killed 2 people, injured 55 firefighters, cost about 1.3 billion in damages. Hundreds of buildings were destroyed.

Today, 12 years later we have long since moved away form our house. Not too far though. Today I look at that house and I remember that night.
=======================================================================================================================================
Fires are Quite Common in California and the recent fires have reminded me of this. But I guess there should be a moral of the story...right? Here, how about this, the next time you see your family...tell them you love them.

Well I guess that's it. This story is 100% a true recollection of  October 21st 2007, and it will be permanently engrained in my memory.