Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  [How to] Building your own gaming PC?  (Read 16550 times)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
    • View Profile
Re: [How to] Building your own gaming PC?
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2019, 10:58:57 AM »
I've just purchased and 8gb stick of DDR4 RAM (Later on I'll uograde to 16gb) along with a 240gb SSD.

If your motherboard has 4 slots then you're better off with 4 x 4gb.

2 x 4gb is also better than 1 x 8gb.

Unless you only have 2 slots and plan on running 2 x 8gb eventually.

in your opinion would you rather have say 8 or 16 gb of ddr4 rather than 32 of ddr3?

Other than ddr4 having higher clock speeds there's not a massive difference. It's arguable whether the typical end user would notice any difference at all.

But... that's irrelevant as they're not 'backwards compatible' You can't use ddr3 in a ddr4 motherboard or ddr4 in a ddr3 motherboard. So any comparisons would also involve different motherboards and processors.

I have 2 RAM slots and plan on upgrading to 16gb which should more than cover what I need.

Adding on to what you said to Lunar my board is only compatible with DDR4, same with my CPU.
Okay so a bit of an update.

Itís my birthday and Iíve received a few things. First itís worth noting that I changed the motherboard for and MSI H310M PRO-VH. Iíve revived and Intel i3 8th Gen LGA1151 core (quad core 3.6ghz) along with and LGA1151 CPU cooler.

Edit:

I've just purchased and 8gb stick of DDR4 RAM (Later on I'll uograde to 16gb) along with a 240gb SSD.

The only things I have left on the list are my PSU, GPU, Case and a Few extra fans couldn't hurt
You shouldnt need to many fans for the i3, what gpu do you plan on getting?

Iím torn at the moment. Iíll let you know when I eventually make up my mind lmao.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
i use ddr3 and it seems to work just fine, just wondering if i should make the change to ddr4.

also fun fact, i spent 400 on parts to get a barebones pc going that i can buy a new part for every paycheck to get a good pc, built it like normal and nothing ever worked and to this day im still so confused on what happened

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2019, 06:47:23 AM »
i use ddr3 and it seems to work just fine, just wondering if i should make the change to ddr4.

also fun fact, i spent 400 on parts to get a barebones pc going that i can buy a new part for every paycheck to get a good pc, built it like normal and nothing ever worked and to this day im still so confused on what happened

To upgrade your RAM to DDR4 youíd have to buy a new motherboard as well which would essentially mean almost building a whole new computer. If youíre not having any issues with DDR3 thereís no need to spend all that money. Not to mention how expensive DDR4 RAM is. I spent £40 on a Corsair 1X8GB.

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2019, 06:49:15 AM »
im talking about for my completely new pc build not just upgrading only ram

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2019, 06:51:00 AM »
In which case to future proof a pc for as long as possible (a few years :P ) DDR4 is a good option. Thereís nothing wrong with DDR3 though.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2019, 02:29:28 AM »
I have my Corsair VS 550w PSU coming today. Should be more than enough power for my PC. Also, I have my case coming today as well.

Iím using interstates graphics until I can pay for a decent GPU (Noob life)

When they arrive today, itsís time to start building! :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:23:34 AM by TheDestinedCrab »

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
Okay, so for anyone interested I have built my new computer! Well sort of :P As earlier stated, I'm using onboard intel CPU graphics until I can afford a good GPU.

PC Info:

CPU (Processor): Intel core i3 8100 3.6Ghz (Quad Core)
RAM: 8 x 1 GB DDR4 RAM - Later to be upgraded to 16GB
Motherboard: MSI H310M PRO-VH
PSU: Corsair VS550w
Storage: Currently 240GB SSD + 80GB HDD - later to be upgraded to a bigger HDD probably
GPU: Currently Intel onboard graphics - later to be upgraded to a better GPU yet to be chosen.
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Thanks to those who supported me along the way <3
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:38:04 AM by TheDestinedCrab »