Author Topic:  Pocket Watch  (Read 353 times)

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
Pocket Watch
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
Okay now this is probably a weird request, but wouldn't it be cool to be able to find a pocket watch to help keep track of how long you have before the sun goes down/comes up?

In addition, you can use it in crafting recipes to make timed explosives and maybe other things in the future.

Plus rare enchanted pocket watches can be added and be used to add additional buffs later in the games lifespan

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Pocket Watch
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
I don't like using "You can do this with scripts" as a reason to not add something, But here it causes a problem. You can literally just do a copy/paste script to make a clock that refreshes every 60 ingame milliseconds.

The ability to easily do that in any gamemode just kinda devalues the clock item for anything other than crafting. So unless Craig removes the ability for us to use the [clock:] variable in survival, This isn't going to have as much value as it should.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Rev Elevenclaw

• Awards 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Rev Elevenclaw
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
Craig gave me this,

var [time] = [clock:]
SetText [x,y,z] [[time:2]] // x,y,z should be the coordinate of a sign.
loop [100]
Focus determines reality...

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
  • Awards 4 years on site 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
I don't like using "You can do this with scripts" as a reason to not add something, But here it causes a problem. You can literally just do a copy/paste script to make a clock that refreshes every 60 ingame milliseconds.

The ability to easily do that in any gamemode just kinda devalues the clock item for anything other than crafting. So unless Craig removes the ability for us to use the [clock:] variable in survival, This isn't going to have as much value as it should.
I see what you mean, but what if you aren't an admin? I mean if I am in someone's world I would have to walk them through how to write that script or convince them to give me admin to do it myself

#BanAtlas

Rev Elevenclaw

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:33:53 PM »
I just used the feather with a itemswing script to run a cctv pointed at my 'clock sign'. Getting a feather is easy for any one that can kill a duck.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »

I see what you mean, but what if you aren't an admin? I mean if I am in someone's world I would have to walk them through how to write that script or convince them to give me admin to do it myself

Ultimately, It is up to the host whether or not they want the clock anyway.

I feel like it would take 10 minutes (if that) to just put a simple HUDText clock script into the system default scripts. This isn't quite as exciting for crafting, But it'd solve the problem you just said.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »

I feel like it would take 10 minutes (if that) to just put a simple HUDText clock script into the system default scripts. This isn't quite as exciting for crafting, But it'd solve the problem you just said.
What do you mean it's up to the host? I mean I wouldn't have get the hosts permission to make a pickaxe or even a battleaxe. I'm just saying it would be cool to have an item ingame that lets you know what time it is, and can be used in crafting recipes. Honestly I am probably going to add them into my wild west texture pack in place of amulets, but I just thought it would be cool to have a working one in game.

#BanAtlas

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »

What do you mean it's up to the host? I mean I wouldn't have get the hosts permission to make a pickaxe or even a battleaxe. I'm just saying it would be cool to have an item ingame that lets you know what time it is, and can be used in crafting recipes. Honestly I am probably going to add them into my wild west texture pack in place of amulets, but I just thought it would be cool to have a working one in game.

You don't need the host's permission because they can outright disable it entirely if they want to.

Likewise, If the host wants you to be able to tell the time they will make it possible to tell time.

I'm in no way against adding a clock item. There's a reason I have made so many different clock scripts. But the problem with the idea is that the ease of scripting it makes the item almost completely worthless because why waste resources on something that you can get for free?

JAZZ 0R KILLER

• YT - Solo Crew
  • Awards Top contributors to the forum downloads.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: JAZZ 0R KILLER
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
I like the idea of a watch... Not to take sides on this topic, but I believe having an ingame watch item that you can physically hold would be great. I know its not hard to script a clock that tells the time, but what about the "noobies"? What if they don't know how to script a clock? What if we want to have the time in all of our worlds but don't want to go through the trouble of scripting it? And yes, I know there's the Global Scripts folder, but a watch item would be cool.

Now for the other side of the argument. The watch item would still be at the same time useless. Someone could easily be generous enough to make a scripted clock to share on the forums so that anyone could download it.

This is a lengthy reply, so i'll stop here.
Look at you being all cool!

Rev Elevenclaw

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
Someone could easily be generous enough to make a scripted clock to share on the forums so that anyone could download it.
I already did in my topic, Scripting in Dig Deep. And earlier in this one.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »

You don't need the host's permission because they can outright disable it entirely if they want to.

Likewise, If the host wants you to be able to tell the time they will make it possible to tell time.

I'm in no way against adding a clock item. There's a reason I have made so many different clock scripts. But the problem with the idea is that the ease of scripting it makes the item almost completely worthless because why waste resources on something that you can get for free?
I mean yeah you can get it for free if you are the host or an admin or if you beg the host to write a script for you. But I just don't think that's a valid reason against anything being added.

#BanAtlas