Author Topic:  Inventories  (Read 862 times)

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Circle cat113
Re: Inventories
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:25 PM »
I was meaning something else about the running script and theres still nothing about the original post on it.
Can you explain what you mean?
I was wondering if we were able to make like custom commands through chat and the command prompt kinda like how we set item swing scripts and stuff
You can get close. Give each script that is your custom command a short alias, and use the script command in the command window.

e.g.

script cmd1
script cmd2

where cmd1 and cmd2 are short alias' for full script names.
Good, now what about the original inventory idea?

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I was meaning something else about the running script and theres still nothing about the original post on it.
Can you explain what you mean?
I was wondering if we were able to make like custom commands through chat and the command prompt kinda like how we set item swing scripts and stuff
You can get close. Give each script that is your custom command a short alias, and use the script command in the command window.

e.g.

script cmd1
script cmd2

where cmd1 and cmd2 are short alias' for full script names.

If Craig can figure out how to add arrays to scripts, Then only a few other small things would need to be done to replicate this via scripts.

The main thing that I can think of is the ability to use numerical IDs as block and item names to use vars to store the inventory.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »
At the moment I'm not convinced about the idea of having a virtual inventory to store physical items.

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »
At the moment I'm not convinced about the idea of having a virtual inventory to store physical items.

What about the idea to use numerical IDs in the place of the block/item name? This allows for more than just the inventory thing. When combined with arrays, It can allow you to save regions of blocks to memory, Save items, Compare areas with each other, And more. I think I gave more examples in the idea post I made for it. I would have to find it though.

Nvm, I didn't. http://totalminerforums.net/index.php?topic=18442.msg190519#msg190519

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »
What would convince you?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
What would convince you?
If I knew that, I wouldn't need convincing. It's up to you guys.

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 10:37:01 PM »
What would convince you?
I'm thinking of ways this can be used, simple trading system, simple bank, as its used in creative it wont affect survival in any exploited ways, many other uses could be implemented into this, and like dryym said id be use for any block.

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 10:50:28 PM »
What would convince you?

If we use my version with arrays, It does a few things which are almost completely impossible currently.

1: It is currently impossible to save an area to script memory. This ability also allows for relatively easy mirroring of structures in any axis. A highly useful tool.

2: The ability to store an inventory to memory is something which is not currently easy to do. You have to place a physical container somewhere on the map and use scripts to open it. This is extremely clunky and prone to bugs, Whereas a digital storage does not rely on worldly chests. This is the same reason that most shops are scripted nowadays. The physical blocks have issues.

3: This idea is slightly better than mine in the way that it gives a graphical interface for the inventory. Mine would require you to have your own menu for things.

Backpacks are extremely popular in games. People like to be able to carry more. In fact, This mechanic was even added to vanilla MC because of how useful it is. The ability to replicate it efficiently would be extremely useful for a lot of maps.

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
What would convince you?

If we use my version with arrays, It does a few things which are almost completely impossible currently.

1: It is currently impossible to save an area to script memory. This ability also allows for relatively easy mirroring of structures in any axis. A highly useful tool.

2: The ability to store an inventory to memory is something which is not currently easy to do. You have to place a physical container somewhere on the map and use scripts to open it. This is extremely clunky and prone to bugs, Whereas a digital storage does not rely on worldly chests. This is the same reason that most shops are scripted nowadays. The physical blocks have issues.

3: This idea is slightly better than mine in the way that it gives a graphical interface for the inventory. Mine would require you to have your own menu for things.

Backpacks are extremely popular in games. People like to be able to carry more. In fact, This mechanic was even added to vanilla MC because of how useful it is. The ability to replicate it efficiently would be extremely useful for a lot of maps.
not only that it would make some scripts easier IE lottery scripts.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
2: The ability to store an inventory to memory is something which is not currently easy to do.
Yes that's for the reason that I dislike the idea of being able to store physical items without using physical space in the game world. This is the part I need convincing on.

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »
2: The ability to store an inventory to memory is something which is not currently easy to do.
Yes that's for the reason that I dislike the idea of being able to store physical items without using physical space in the game world. This is the part I need convincing on.
It doesnt affect the survival worlds and has HUGE amount of use in rpgs and such.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 06:15:57 PM »
It doesnt affect the survival worlds
Survival or Finite Resource worlds?

and has HUGE amount of use in rpgs and such.
That means nothing without a HUGE list of concrete examples.

Circlecat113

• Legendary Member
  • Aka Cat
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »
It doesnt affect the survival worlds
Survival or Finite Resource worlds?

and has HUGE amount of use in rpgs and such.
That means nothing without a HUGE list of concrete examples.
1. Survival

2. It simplifies many scripts
Easier banks
Chest GUIs
People could script things like backpacks
and more if you can think better than me.

Curmescius

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »

But you already can store physical items in digital space. It's just more tedious to do. Most people already use this ability in bank scripts. If you dislike that possibility, Then you would need to remove variables and history too.

Let me flip this on you. Why do you dislike the idea as a possibility? With my proposed version, It would be physically impossible to do in any mode other than creative due to requiring the inventory command to add and remove items.

With that out of the way, I see no reason to not allow an easier method for something that the players want.

cY Agent 115

• Death to trolls on the forums
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: cY Agent 115
  • Steam: cY Agent 115
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 05:17:18 AM »

But you already can store physical items in digital space. It's just more tedious to do. Most people already use this ability in bank scripts. If you dislike that possibility, Then you would need to remove variables and history too.

Let me flip this on you. Why do you dislike the idea as a possibility? With my proposed version, It would be physically impossible to do in any mode other than creative due to requiring the inventory command to add and remove items.

With that out of the way, I see no reason to not allow an easier method for something that the players want.
any links to see how this is done? kinda need one ASAP