Author Topic:  Rack City - builders/scripters needed  (Read 874 times)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rack City - builders/scripters needed
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
It doesn't look awful, they could be side streets maybe? But you have a number of options here.

1) Narrow down the widest Street. You'll have to copy, delete and replace those buildings.
2) Widen the side streets. You'd realistically only have to the above process with the buildings on the corner.
3) Leave it as is. It's not awful looking to be honest.
4) Use the replace tool for every block to make it all sandstone ::)

And a top tip for the future, build the roads first and the buildings after - that's what I find easiest.
Thanks G'Kay for the amazing sig!
Code: [Select]
[center][size=18pt][font=georgia]/ Title /[/font][/size][/center]
[left][font=georgia][size=8pt]Subtitle[/size][/font][/left]
[hr]
[font=georgia][size=12pt]PG1[/size][/font]

Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Umm.. Hi....
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »
I built them roads for you a while back and purposely made those 2 lanes smaller. I did that to make it so the bigger roads had 4 lanes (2 on each side) and the smaller roads had 2 lanes (1 on each side)

You can delete the smaller roads and make them the same as the bigger, I'm sorry if this confused you at all.

As casual onion said, the best thing to do is to built the roads first and then make the buildings around the roads. It will make your life x1000 easier.

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods (overall)
1st in the world to unlock Demigods (legitimately)
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster
YouTube: Jimalene

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT: Nefty
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 08:59:22 AM »
Why change it? Intersections and Roads are never the same size. I have 2 hairpin turns by my house, and a five way intersection. Id argue the lack of symmetry makes a better effect.

Wanna Make Money Off Of Youtube? Partner With Freedom Today: https://www.freedom.tm/via/NeftyGaming

Comrade Creepz

• Hi, I'm Creepz!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: MisterCreeperX
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »
It doesn't look awful, they could be side streets maybe? But you have a number of options here.

1) Narrow down the widest Street. You'll have to copy, delete and replace those buildings.
2) Widen the side streets. You'd realistically only have to the above process with the buildings on the corner.

And a top tip for the future, build the roads first and the buildings after - that's what I find easiest.

I think I may have found a solution to the problem, but this has caused another problem that I'll have to try and work my way around now. On the narrower side, I've made the road merge into a single road, but the problem is, I have the wider roads going around the back of the apartment buildings, so now I have to find a way to connect the narrower roads to the wider roads. Failing this I will probably just copy everything, clear it and start again with just the intersection so I can make it the same on both sides, then I can just paste everything back.
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Why change it? Intersections and Roads are never the same size. I have 2 hairpin turns by my house, and a five way intersection. Id argue the lack of symmetry makes a better effect.

I don't really want them to be all the same, but I just need to try and figure out how I'm going to fix this. I definitely should've done the roads first.

I built them roads for you a while back and purposely made those 2 lanes smaller. I did that to make it so the bigger roads had 4 lanes (2 on each side) and the smaller roads had 2 lanes (1 on each side)

You can delete the smaller roads and make them the same as the bigger, I'm sorry if this confused you at all.

As casual onion said, the best thing to do is to built the roads first and then make the buildings around the roads. It will make your life x1000 easier.

I think the best thing to do may be to just start again with the intersection, it's not your fault it went wrong I wasn't paying attention and that's why I messed up, I will remember to do the roads first in future to avoid situations like this.

4) Use the replace tool for every block to make it all sandstone ::)

I'm happy with them the way they are, so I'll probably just keep the blocks that I'm using, but yeah I really should have done the roads first, so the only thing I can really do is start again, again, I've already completely removed and rebuilt this city once.

TBH
It looks perfect as is,especially with the road lines you have atm

Thanks, hopefully it'll look better once I've fixed this huge problem that I've created for myself. I'll probably be making bends in the roads too but I have no idea how I'm going to do that, I'm nowhere near doing that yet anyway, I need to fix the problems first.

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
I see no problem with them tbh. They are more realistic than most other roads I have seen on this game or MC. Even with your "mistake".

I lived in New Orleans for a year, And the roads there looked like they were "planned" by a bunch of drunk teenagers.

The lines going down the roads in some places looked like someone just painted them on by holding a paint brush down from the bed of a pickup truck.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT: Nefty
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »

"Straight" Roads are very rarely straight. Intersections are rarely squares. I wouldnt worry.

Wanna Make Money Off Of Youtube? Partner With Freedom Today: https://www.freedom.tm/via/NeftyGaming

Comrade Creepz

• Hi, I'm Creepz!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
I see no problem with them tbh. They are more realistic than most other roads I have seen on this game or MC. Even with your "mistake".

I lived in New Orleans for a year, And the roads there looked like they were "planned" by a bunch of drunk teenagers.

The lines going down the roads in some places looked like someone just painted them on by holding a paint brush down from the bed of a pickup truck.

Thanks, it should be easier to make the rest of the roads once I've worked my way around this problem, I just hope tha I don't have to remove all the buildings too because that would be annoying.

"Straight" Roads are very rarely straight. Intersections are rarely squares. I wouldnt worry.

That road gives me a great idea actually, maybe I could try something like that.

casual onion

• Legendary Member
  • Part time onion, Part time Michael Buble fan
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: casual onion
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
I have a few Road components if you (or anyone) wants them. They are more British style though.
/onion Inspirational Quotes /onion

casual onion [23|Mar 09:59 PM]:   If you don't succeed, try, try and give up.

PWRBTTN [31|Mar 01:14 AM]:   It's okay, not all of us can be comedy geniuses like Casual Opinion.

Trub's Unisex Holiday Name [12|Nov 07:28 PM]:
You look like Casual Onion.

Comrade Creepz

• Hi, I'm Creepz!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »
I have a few Road components if you (or anyone) wants them. They are more British style though.

If you don't mind sharing it then that would be awesome, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to fix the world because it seems like when I think of one solution I run into another problem somewhere down the line, so I may just start again with the roads, thanks :)

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

If you don't mind sharing it then that would be awesome, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to fix the world because it seems like when I think of one solution I run into another problem somewhere down the line, so I may just start again with the roads, thanks :)
If you can't fix the problem, Work around the problem. If there is something in a real city that doesn't quite work right due to old planning, They won't remove the existing architecture and roads, They'll work with what they have and take the path of least resistance.

Don't fret about everything being perfect, Otherwise it won't be realistic.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Umm.. Hi....
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »

If you can't fix the problem, Work around the problem. If there is something in a real city that doesn't quite work right due to old planning, They won't remove the existing architecture and roads, They'll work with what they have and take the path of least resistance.

I agree with Dryym. If you can't fix it then just try to work around it. I didn't realise that me building you these road would cause you this much bother, I'm sorry.

However if you feel you can't work around it, then just restart if it bothers you that much. It's completely up to you.

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods (overall)
1st in the world to unlock Demigods (legitimately)
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster
YouTube: Jimalene

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

Comrade Creepz

• Hi, I'm Creepz!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »

I agree, I think it's actually better if it's not perfect, and it looks good the way it is.  I was worried about it at first because I thought that I would have to start again but I don't think there's any need to, the only thing that I need to work out now is how to make another intersection that will allow me to connect the single road to the double roads.

I agree with Dryym. If you can't fix it then just try to work around it. I didn't realise that me building you these road would cause you this much bother, I'm sorry.

However if you feel you can't work around it, then just restart if it bothers you that much. It's completely up to you.

It's no bother, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to come and help out, it looks great. I was just worrying too much to begin with, but I think I'll be able to work my way around it. Once I've corrected my mistake it will become much easier. I should have taken the time to look before I started on the buildings, but it's all good :)