Which type of game should I make?

A stealth game.
A simple platformer.
Script's black and white game.
Casual's pineapple game...? xD
Craig's Rapids game.
A card game.
Other..

Author Topic:  What games would you like to see?  (Read 1582 times)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What games would you like to see?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 03:41:51 AM »
The poll is up!

You can only vote once, if you change your mind please PM me.

Happy voting :)
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • ::)
    • Awards
  • Xbox: ETTP & Mr Zincy
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 03:03:32 PM »
I could try the top two but the art program is impossible in GM : S, as I don't think that there is a way to program it to save and open pictures :/

Really nice suggestions there, I'd love to try at least one :) I'll put up the poll.
What do you mean by this in the years i worked with GM:S 1.X I never had an issue with loading images from folders or from inside the IDE using the draw_sprite. You can also use draw_sprite_ext_colour for many more options or just draw_sprite_ext.

you can load a png file using sprite_add(fname, imgnumb, removeback, smooth, xorig, yorig);
It will allow players to add things into a game from an external source or for you also.

You just fill in the required fields. There are ways to make it so you don't have to put in the name of the files to be a specific file name to allow for "modding" by the player just in case they don't name it to the specific file name.  Make sure you use sprite_delete when it's no longer needed to prevent memory leaks.

Edit: In order to do the paint program you can use surface_save which will save a surface to a png or other file type supported.Surfaces are easy to learn and use and allows for a lot. You can create the grid for them to draw on using a ds_grid. This will allow you to only draw in certain areas defined for this program. They are also very useful for storing data as a 2D array. Also check out the for loop, and all the DS(data structure) functions.

There are a few people here who use GM so if you have any questions or issues search the net for a solution or check the docs then if that don't help just put it here crab and i can help you. Make me last resort though as its good to figure things out on you own.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:04:36 PM by TM Charles »

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »
Thanks Ieyfo, I didn't know about the surface_save command but will definitely give the paint one a go now :)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 02:12:24 AM »
The votes are pretty equal right now, hopefully that'll change and then I'll try my hardest to make that chosen game.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
Wow, there's 8 current voters. 4 to Craig's Rapids game, 1 to almost every other. Two more votes and I'll try and make that game :)

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
I'd love to see you get better at using GM and the GML language, it's always nice to see someone making games and doing this kind of stuff on the forums, good luck in the future!

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
I'd love to see you get better at using GM and the GML language, it's always nice to see someone making games and doing this kind of stuff on the forums, good luck in the future!
GMl is a very easy thing to learn it just learning how to put it all together and learning what can be done in what events. With the built-in function everything is easy anything to do with drawing or graphical is done in the draw event and the functions strat with draw_something, the step event happens every frame of the game so you want to do all you main logic there. the create event is used to initialize things like variables run scripts that need to be run and set up what you need. A little tip, learn the Real number functions and the vector functions as it will help you in the future. Another tip is when drawing make sure you always reset the drawing functions back to default to prevent memory leaks.

Here is an example from one of my first games.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
A little tip, learn the Real number functions and the vector functions as it will help you in the future.

I don't know about real number functions, But I can attest to vectors being extremely useful from my TM scripting experience.

That headshot thing you liked so much was made by finding the distance between 2 vector end points.

A very good portion of my scripts take advantage of vectors now.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Thankyou @Dryym and @TMCharles. I will take all of that in mind :)

That concludes our vote! Rapids it is, no-one seem to be voting any more :P

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
Rapids development has been going on for about a week. I've put atleast 12 hours into it. I haven't gone mad with the time programming it, because as long as it works and looks good who cares about time? I am, however going to be releasing super-early updates for the game so keep an out out for them. Also, I'll try and speed up development so long as school doesn't get in the way - the main reason for the current slow development.

Thanks for reading, have a good day!

TM Charles

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
Rapids development has been going on for about a week. I've put at least 12 hours into it. I haven't gone mad with the time programming it, because as long as it works and looks good who cares about time? I am, however going to be releasing super-early updates for the game so keep an out-out for them. Also, I'll try and speed up development so long as the school doesn't get in the way - the main reason for the current slow development.

Thanks for reading, have a good day!

Don't worry about time carefully craft it into what you want it to be if not, later on, you will assume you can build Rome in a day.(If that makes sense.)Set small goals each day and work on them. The best thing for me starting out was every day trying something new whether it's how i do maths or how something is being drawn to the screen if you try something new and learn how to use more functions and such you will grow in a way you will be happy with.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »
That's some awesome advice, I'll definitely be setting daily goals for myself! It'll probably include learning functions and getting some thing done / finished.

Thanks so much Ieyfo :)