Author Topic:  Visual Armor (PC)  (Read 1268 times)

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Visual Armor (PC)
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 05:57:06 PM »
Ok, idea here regarding visual armor. Peraps, once NPC/Avatar models are all modular, armors could be their own "body part" as it were. Like, when equipping a piece of armor, it replaces the body part with a built version of the piece of armor?
It's not ideal. It would mean each avatar would lose its unique form.

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hallo
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
  • Steam: Alienizd
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »
That depends on how it is done. Looking at the models, if done right they could retain their general shape, mainly losing more rounded features, and not much else.
-Alionz

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Ok, idea here regarding visual armor. Peraps, once NPC/Avatar models are all modular, armors could be their own "body part" as it were. Like, when equipping a piece of armor, it replaces the body part with a built version of the piece of armor?

Wait, I thought this would mean separating the separate avatar body parts into separate components that could be manipulated.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »
Wait, I thought this would mean separating the separate avatar body parts into separate components that could be manipulated.
I think GK is suggesting that there would be for example an Iron Leggings model, and that model would be drawn instead of the avatars regular leg model if the player is wearing Iron Leggings. Which means a dwarves leg would look the same as a trolls legs, except of course a different scale.

Ultris07

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 02:41:12 AM »
I think GK is suggesting that there would be for example an Iron Leggings model, and that model would be drawn instead of the avatars regular leg model if the player is wearing Iron Leggings. Which means a dwarves leg would look the same as a trolls legs, except of course a different scale.
But isn't that how armor works?
Unless the style is changed by the avatar using the armor, it should always look the same on any model.
Iron Armor isn't going to look different on a Human or Orc unless, (Minus size), the "Avatar" has characteristics that change it.

And if that's the idea you had in mind, you're over complicating things.
In the case of armor for the most part in RPG's, more, (Not all), people don't care what their character looks like with the armor on, (Minus Stats), only that their character looks BA.
And I have yet to see that ever change.

Personally I don't care to have visual armor, but if added, I would rather have one universal look, which is easier to determine than a bunch of uniquely designed armor sets, which can throw people off as to what armor someone might be wearing.

To be honest, I'm more into the idea of animated Avatars than visual armor at the moment.
It can add a lot to visual armor when and or if it gets added.
One shall stand, one shall fall!
A warrior takes sword in hand, clasping a gem to his heart. Engraving vanishing memories into the sword, he places finely honed skills into the stone. Spoken from the sword, handed down from the stone... Now the story can be told...
Doth thou desire the power?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
A problem with the first method I described is that because the armor would be layered on top of the existing skin, area's where there is only one block or even no block gaps between body parts would be a problem, like between the legs, or between arms and chest.

So here's another idea.

The shape/form of the avatar remains exactly the same. We define a simply textured/patterned bitmap for each armor type. And if the player is wearing a piece of armor, that texture is used for that part of their body instead of the model. So it would look something like this:

Ignore the bad armor texture, that's just my hack skills. It could be make to look a lot better.

This method would also be a lot easier to implement than the other.

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hallo
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
  • Steam: Alienizd
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
A problem with the first method I described is that because the armor would be layered on top of the existing skin, area's where there is only one block or even no block gaps between body parts would be a problem, like between the legs, or between arms and chest.

So here's another idea.

The shape/form of the avatar remains exactly the same. We define a simply textured/patterned bitmap for each armor type. And if the player is wearing a piece of armor, that texture is used for that part of their body instead of the model. So it would look something like this:

Ignore the bad armor texture, that's just my hack skills. It could be make to look a lot better.

Could you explain how this would work with custom models?
-Alionz

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:07 PM »

So here's another idea.

What about avatars with sticky outy bits? Examples being Diablo's horns/legs, Demigod's sword, Etc.

Could you explain how this would work with custom models?

If this is definitely how it's being done, My solution idea would be to have players zone off areas and attribute them to the helmet, Breastplate, Leggings, Boots, Or gauntlets.

It shouldn't take more than 7 bytes per zone to do something like this the way I see it (6 bytes to determine the start and end coordinates of the zone from 0 to 255, 1 byte to determine which category the zoned bit falls into.)

On a side note, Is there anything currently stopping someone from just making a model that is 64x128x64 and just pretending to be a block in OrigHD?

How much memory does 40960 visible faces take up if it's just completely flat?

If we are going this route, I think it would be best to include armour zones to the models since, As I see it, They won't add anything noticeable to the file size of the model, And allow for some real flexibility.

I would still love the option for actual 3D models though.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym