Author Topic:  Visual Armor (PC)  (Read 961 times)

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
  • Steam: Alienizd
Re: Visual Armor (PC)
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »
Realistically, The same effect could be achieved by simply including the player's stat bonuses into the calculation for the combat level you see above their head.
That's not going to induce the same amount of fear as someone charging at you in full Titanium Armor now is it ;)

Which is scarier, This?

Or someone wearing this

With a big 100 above their head?
I don't know, if someone somehow wore a model that looks like it was made in a proper 3D model studio, I would be less scared and more questioning.
Did you mean to quote PWRBTTN?
-Alionz

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Realistically, The same effect could be achieved by simply including the player's stat bonuses into the calculation for the combat level you see above their head.
That's not going to induce the same amount of fear as someone charging at you in full Titanium Armor now is it ;)

Which is scarier, This?

Or someone wearing this

With a big 100 above their head?
I don't know, if someone somehow wore a model that looks like it was made in a proper 3D model studio, I would be less scared and more questioning.
Did you mean to quote PWRBTTN?

No. I meant to quote Craig.

I am saying that I think a red number is more scary than the actual visual armour.

Besides, It's not like Titanium armour gives you a flat 80% damage reduction like Diamond armour in MC. It's nowhere near as scary as it would seem.

So, Unless we get custom models for each avatar's armour, It wouldn't really be that intimidating compared to a big red number, I.E. The bane of any RPG player's existence.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
y'all just gonna ignore my suggestion on the last page?

Jim

• Jr. Moderator
  • Umm.. Hi....
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

That was a pretty good suggestion.

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods (overall)
1st in the world to unlock Demigods (legitimately)
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster
YouTube: Jimalene

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

Admins

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Gxbble
  • Steam: Q9H
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

That was a pretty good suggestion.

Agreed.

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
There is an issue however, in that uniquely sized models (goblin, dwarves, trolls, etc), this would not work. It would also does not be able to take into consideration how it would apply to custom models without restricting players.
-Alionz

Admins

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just have created a standard size for everything?
This way you could easily make one style of armor that would apply to all avatars, with a few exceptions.
Though if people want visual armor bad enough, someone will just mod them in.

I do think it would be cool though, but not necessary.

But definitely, had there been a set style, size, and limit, minus special avatars, many of these issues would be obsolete.
However, I did not make the game, nor am a programmer.

Also separate body parts is a great idea, but would probably be pretty taxing on the game's engine right now.
Though it would make animated avatars possible.

I did not say that it was a necessary feature, this is the idea's section. It's just an idea.

Admins

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
There is an issue however, in that uniquely sized models (goblin, dwarves, trolls, etc), this would not work. It would also does not be able to take into consideration how it would apply to custom models without restricting players.

After watching everyone rant in this post it's come to mind that it will not happen. The player models are not build like minecraft which means that all of the players models are different size. What you said above "uniquely sized models (goblin, dwarves, trolls, etc)" and after hearing how Craig is saying that you would have to do it for every body part of every avatar, it sounds like a pain in the backside. Like i said in the post 'it would be cool' it's not a 'must' feature.

Admins

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
The problem has always been how.

There are 31 items of armor and something like 45 avatars. That would require 1395 individual models. Maybe less because some might fit more than one avatar, but still hundreds. And every time we added a new piece of armor, we'd need to make another 30-45 models.

Animation may make that problem 3-5 times worse. So it's not going to happen. I need another way to do it. I have an idea in mind but I'll need to prototype it and I'm not all that confident it's going to work.

It's not really a necessary feature, we can just leave it out of question. It sounds like too much work, what is this idea that you have in mind?

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • YT: Nefty
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheMoon
  • PSN: N/A
  • Steam: GoatOnTheMoon
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »
Why not just leave the initial models as they are with on armor being displayed, and for Custom Skins, have a boundary set for how large the model can be without displaying armor. That way you know what you're getting into when you make an NPC or custom skin

Wanna Make Money Off Of Youtube? Partner With Freedom Today: https://www.freedom.tm/via/NeftyGaming

Admins

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
Why not just leave the initial models as they are with on armor being displayed, and for Custom Skins, have a boundary set for how large the model can be without displaying armor. That way you know what you're getting into when you make an NPC or custom skin

Yes, do this please. A lot easier.

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
...and for Custom Skins, have a boundary set for how large the model can be without displaying armor. That way you know what you're getting into when you make an NPC or custom skin
There is no set boundary, and likely will not be. The only restriction is that if your model (animations are included in unison) is larger than a specified data size (I believe it was ~1MB, cannot completely recall), then it cannot be used. With this, having to have a copy of the model for each possible combination of armour, even something such as Craig's sample model for custom NPCs would be rather large, not including the even more models required for animations. There will need to be a better solution.
-Alionz

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Again, my idea is more for when NPCs/Avatars are modular, meaning they'll all be separated piece by piece already. That would be the only real restriction regarding custom models. Regarding uniquely sized models, perhaps some sort of "tag" could be added to the code of models to decide what scale the piece would come out as. Say a small model like a dwarf were to equip the armor, the armor could be scaled down to a "tiny" model, while if a troll was wearing it, it could be scaled to a "beefy" size?

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »
Again, my idea is more for when NPCs/Avatars are modular, meaning they'll all be separated piece by piece already...
Of course, however having models change from they currently are is not confirmed, and Craig has stated before that he was not completely towards the idea of replacing the current style.
-Alionz

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
Perhaps to circumvent that issue, when building custom avatars, you build them in pieces. Like, you build left leg, right leg, torso, left arm, right arm, and head as separate components?
That's going to be necessary anyway otherwise there's not really anyway for the game to distinguish the different parts, even for the existing models. And it will be necessary for procedural animation.
Again, my idea is more for when NPCs/Avatars are modular, meaning they'll all be separated piece by piece already...
Of course, however having models change from they currently are is not confirmed, and Craig has stated before that he was not completely towards the idea of replacing the current style.