Author Topic:  Visual Armor (PC)  (Read 962 times)

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
Re: Visual Armor (PC)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 04:24:12 AM »
Im saying, if you want the character to have no head, or no arm, or something else that is not regular, armor would either be floating or huge compared to the part.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 04:31:21 AM »
Im saying, if you want the character to have no head, or no arm, or something else that is not regular, armor would either be floating or huge compared to the part.
No. You quoted GK. He was talking about building each body part separately. So if you don't build a head, or an arm, the game would know that and not try and wrap it with armor. And for small or irregular sized body parts, the method of procedural mapping/wrapping I'm talking about accounts for that. The armor is generated to wrap exactly around the size of the body part, regardless of it's size. Shape is another issue though. For instance if you made an avatar with a chest that had a whole right through the middle of it, or it was some weird irregular shape, then that's going to cause problems.

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »
So, With the texture projection scenario, Would that not look absolutely horrific on the heads of Diablo, Invaderman, Wraith, Etc.?

Also, If custom avatars are a problem with texture projection, Why not make it possible for custom avatars to have separate modeled parts for armour?

Personally, I would love that, Even with all of the extra work.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Jaz

• Supreme Member
  • ヽ(`⌒)ノ
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • cluckinbellhappychicken
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »
Would it be possible to sort of 'tag' parts of your character when making them, these tagged parts would not have armour wrapped around them. For example; Diablo's horns would be tagged, meaning that they would still be visible, and not be covered by any armour.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" ~ Albert Einstein

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
Would it be possible to sort of 'tag' parts of your character when making them, these tagged parts would not have armour wrapped around them. For example; Diablo's horns would be tagged, meaning that they would still be visible, and not be covered by any armour.

That'd kinda what I suggested in my idea on custom animations.

I would imagine the horns would have to be a separate object with the head as the parent. Maybe that would fix the problem of Diablo's camera being in the centre of the gap between the horns.

Ultris07

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just have created a standard size for everything?
This way you could easily make one style of armor that would apply to all avatars, with a few exceptions.
Though if people want visual armor bad enough, someone will just mod them in.

I do think it would be cool though, but not necessary.

But definitely, had there been a set style, size, and limit, minus special avatars, many of these issues would be obsolete.
However, I did not make the game, nor am a programmer.

Also separate body parts is a great idea, but would probably be pretty taxing on the game's engine right now.
Though it would make animated avatars possible.
One shall stand, one shall fall!
A warrior takes sword in hand, clasping a gem to his heart. Engraving vanishing memories into the sword, he places finely honed skills into the stone. Spoken from the sword, handed down from the stone... Now the story can be told...
Doth thou desire the power?

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
  • Steam: Alienizd
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
This way you could easily make one style of armor that would apply to all avatars, with a few exceptions...
You must be forgetting the variety in the shapes and sizes of each model, and since NPCs will also be able to wear armor (among other changes), this will need to be taken into consideration especially for very complex models that could never look correct if constricted more, such as Trolls and Dwarves to name. Also, with the ability for players to create their own models, this again would cause constrictions on them, and many player are likely to not want them.
...Though if people want visual armor bad enough, someone will just mod them in...
It would be bad practice to rely on modders to implement entire features.
...Also separate body parts is a great idea, but would probably be pretty taxing on the game's engine right now...
*Although I am not entirely sure, but the main reason models take as much as they do is because of how they are rendered (as I recall Dauntless saying, an NPC is like loading hundreds to even tens of thousands of blocks in a small area, depending on the size). Having separate areas for the body parts would be little difference.
*This is subject to being incorrect more than my usual.
-Alionz

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
Also separate body parts is a great idea, but would probably be pretty taxing on the game's engine right now.
Currently there is 1 Draw call per avatar model 'type'. Splitting the model into separate body parts will require 1 Draw call per body part. That was a concern on the Xbox 360, although I never got a chance to properly profile it to see if it really was going to be a problem. Most PC's can comfortably handle an order of magnitude more Draw calls than the 360, so I don't think it's going to be a problem on PC.

Ultris07

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 10:16:14 PM »
This way you could easily make one style of armor that would apply to all avatars, with a few exceptions...
You must be forgetting the variety in the shapes and sizes of each model, and since NPCs will also be able to wear armor (among other changes), this will need to be taken into consideration especially for very complex models that could never look correct if constricted more, such as Trolls and Dwarves to name. Also, with the ability for players to create their own models, this again would cause constrictions on them, and many player are likely to not want them.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about my wording in the first part Pixel.
What was meant by that statement was a past-tense mentioning about the avatars, that if created in a standard would not have the issue of having to create many different armor pieces to fit each/most Avatars, since all Craig would have had to have done was make a simple outline of where the armor would go.
...Though if people want visual armor bad enough, someone will just mod them in...
It would be bad practice to rely on modders to implement entire features.
Though it's been done before for plenty of games, though like I said, I don't feel Visual Armor is necessary, and if people want it bad enough, they'll just mod it in, like most of the modding community will be doing upon release.
Though Visual Armor seems more like an effect rather than an entire feature.
One shall stand, one shall fall!
A warrior takes sword in hand, clasping a gem to his heart. Engraving vanishing memories into the sword, he places finely honed skills into the stone. Spoken from the sword, handed down from the stone... Now the story can be told...
Doth thou desire the power?

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 11:44:10 PM »
IMO, Armour doesn't do enough in vanilla TM to warrant this as a feature for actual benefit in combat.

Realistically, The same effect could be achieved by simply including the player's stat bonuses into the calculation for the combat level you see above their head.

So, Unless players are given customization of armour models for avatar models, This really isn't as great as it may seem.

Admins

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Gxbble
  • Steam: Q9H
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »
IMO, Armour doesn't do enough in vanilla TM to warrant this as a feature for actual benefit in combat.

Realistically, The same effect could be achieved by simply including the player's stat bonuses into the calculation for the combat level you see above their head.

So, Unless players are given customization of armour models for avatar models, This really isn't as great as it may seem.

This is probably the best bet, great idea Dryym.

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »
Ok, idea here regarding visual armor. Peraps, once NPC/Avatar models are all modular, armors could be their own "body part" as it were. Like, when equipping a piece of armor, it replaces the body part with a built version of the piece of armor?

In regards to people who are saying visual armor isn't something we need, you're right, it's not. But do you know what else we don't need? We don't need pleasant UIs, or good controls, or polished anything. However it's something nice to have, that'll more than likely improve the experience for many people.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 02:24:34 AM »
That's not going to induce the same amount of fear as someone charging at you in full Titanium Armor now is it ;)

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 07:55:41 AM »
That's not going to induce the same amount of fear as someone charging at you in full Titanium Armor now is it ;)
I mean... personally, I'm more scared a bigger numbers than I am of pretty armour so...
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Father Dryymas

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »

Which is scarier, This?

Or someone wearing this

With a big 100 above their head?