Author Topic:  Visual Armor (PC)  (Read 1723 times)

zunr

• RPG
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz
  • Steam: Zunr
Visual Armor (PC)
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »
Hello,

I'd like to use this topic to talk about displaying armor on your character, it is quite annoying when you enter a PvP area and hit someone expecting high damage and seeing a -3. Well, i feel like we should add it where you can visually see the armor on the players bodies so you have a thought of how strong that player is. I do not expect this feature to be implemented on the Xbox but it would be cool to have on the PC.

- Callum

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Visual Armor (PC)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:48 AM »
The problem has always been how.

There are 31 items of armor and something like 45 avatars. That would require 1395 individual models. Maybe less because some might fit more than one avatar, but still hundreds. And every time we added a new piece of armor, we'd need to make another 30-45 models.

Animation may make that problem 3-5 times worse. So it's not going to happen. I need another way to do it. I have an idea in mind but I'll need to prototype it and I'm not all that confident it's going to work.

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 02:35:00 AM »
what if you were to size the avatars to different levels,such as small,medium,large,and tall,and/or try to resize the avatars to the closest size group as much as possible,if possible.otherwise assign each avatar to the size group and make models or the armor+amimation for the groups

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 02:55:48 AM »
what if you were to size the avatars to different levels,such as small,medium,large,and tall,and/or try to resize the avatars to the closest size group as much as possible,if possible.otherwise assign each avatar to the size group and make models or the armor+amimation for the groups
The problem wouldn't necessarily be size. Mostly shape. Armour on the demigod avatar would have to look different than armour on the original avatar.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:01:03 AM »
Armour on the demigod avatar would have to look different than armour on the original avatar.
why?

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »
Armour on the demigod avatar would have to look different than armour on the original avatar.
why?
Well, primarily, the animations may not be similar enough from one avatar to the next for it to work. Next, helmets would be a big deal. One avatar may have an entirely different shapes head. Like girl 2 or 3 have narrow heads, but Trub's head is really wide.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 03:24:03 AM »
Throw custom avatars into the mix as well.

The idea I mentioned was to try and map the pixels in the 2D icon to the surface voxels of the avatar models. And adjust (procedurally) as needed. But until I try, I'm not sure it's going to work well enough. At the very least we'll need to create a 2nd bitmap for the back of Helmets, Body and Leggings.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 03:35:29 AM »

The idea I mentioned was to try and map the pixels in the 2D icon to the surface voxels of the avatar models. And adjust (procedurally) as needed. But until I try, I'm not sure it's going to work well enough. At the very least we'll need to create a 2nd bitmap for the back of Helmets, Body and Leggings.
That's not a bad idea if it'll work. If it does work, that means that you could attach the back part of the armours to the texture pack, and this would work for multiple texture packs. Right? How would it look, though? Good, do you think?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »

That's not a bad idea if it'll work. If it does work, that means that you could attach the back part of the armours to the texture pack, and this would work for multiple texture packs. Right? How would it look, though? Good, do you think?
Yes it's a general solution with the added benefit that the armor you see on the player will reflect the texture pack, which building fixed models could not do (or we would have to make 31 x 45 x 20+ models).

I really don't know how good it will look, but if you imagine the outer (skin/visible) blocks of each model and add another block attached to that (further out - so the models will gain bulk) and colored to the appropriate pixel in the icon. Or maybe a better way to explain it is imagine the 2D icon wrapped around the outside of the models appropriate body part as another layer of voxels (1 voxel deep).

The issue of course is that it might work for standard shaped humanoid avatars, even wonky ones, but custom avatars which could be literally any shape, well thats another problem.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:59:15 AM by Craig »

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts 2 years on site+300 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 04:03:02 AM »
I have a GREAT SOLUTION to this, just display what armor they have on above the health bar
Like this...

(these wouldnt be text of course, itd actually be the icon

[Leather Helm] [Diamond Gauntlets] [Titanium Boots]
[                            Health Bar                                ]

Also, if you suggest custom skins, then suggest this, really. Not only will there have to be hundreds of models, custom skins would be buggy and 100% impossible to make visible armor with.

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:04:16 AM »

Yes it's a general solution with the added benefit that the armor you see on the player will reflect the texture pack, which building fixed models could not do (or we would have to make 31 x 45 x 20+ models).

I really don't know how good it will look, but if you imagine the outer (skin/visible) blocks of each model and add another block attached to that (further out - so the models will gain bulk) and colored to the appropriate pixel in the icon. Or maybe a better way to explain it is imagine the 2D icon wrapped around the outside of the models appropriate body part as another layer of voxels (1 voxel deep).

The issue of course is that it might work for standard shaped humanoid avatars, even wonky ones, but custom avatars which could be literally any shape, well thats another problem.
Perhaps to circumvent that issue, when building custom avatars, you build them in pieces. Like, you build left leg, right leg, torso, left arm, right arm, and head as separate components?

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 04:10:16 AM »
Perhaps to circumvent that issue, when building custom avatars, you build them in pieces. Like, you build left leg, right leg, torso, left arm, right arm, and head as separate components?
That's going to be necessary anyway otherwise there's not really anyway for the game to distinguish the different parts, even for the existing models. And it will be necessary for procedural animation.

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts 2 years on site+300 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 04:10:44 AM »

Even then, you may want the head to be smaller than the set boundaries, or you may want the two legs to be connected in the middle to make it look like a mermaid or a ghost, armor pieces would cover up this kind of stuff, and it won't look good.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 04:12:20 AM »
I have a GREAT SOLUTION to this, just display what armor they have on above the health bar
Like this...

(these wouldnt be text of course, itd actually be the icon

[Leather Helm] [Diamond Gauntlets] [Titanium Boots]
[                            Health Bar                                ]

That's a reasonable interim solution. Not the ideal solution though. We all want to see the armor on the avatars. And not just armor, any kind of clothing accessories, hats, capes, etc.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 04:13:49 AM »

Even then, you may want the head to be smaller than the set boundaries, or you may want the two legs to be connected in the middle to make it look like a mermaid or a ghost, armor pieces would cover up this kind of stuff, and it won't look good.
No. Why would the size of the head matter? And if you wanted to make a mermaid, just build one leg.