Author Topic:  The Future of NPC AI and moddable creatures?  (Read 93 times)

apigonafarm

• Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: a pig on a farm
The Future of NPC AI and moddable creatures?
« on: December 30, 2016, 10:53:24 PM »
Hey there, Ive been quietly keeping up with this game for quite a few years now, just had a question about the possibilities of what's to come.

From what i see when total miner gets to PC we will have the ability to mod creatures (And the NPC's i presume) to look different, which is amazing.
We will also be getting the ability to customize some npc behavior.

So ultimately my question is, will we be able to 1; be able to modify existing creature's AI and make it a global change to AI? perhaps maybe i want spiders to jump more frequently? or make it so that spriggans will attempt to stay at a range when fighting? and 2; will it be possible for us to create all new creatures to put into the world and be generated naturally? perhaps i wanted to make a ghost creatures, would it be possible to make the model then have it spawn in something like the basalt layer?

I'm super excited about the PC port and the direction this game is going, but if my questions ring to be true then this opens up all new avenues for some pretty intense gameplay that could be filled with all sorts of unkown horrors for players joining a map to find out. it would definitely keep the gameplay very fresh.
sure is cold, better wear snow armor

Platinum!
Spoiler for Hidden Content:
PLATINUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!1!!!!!

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Future of NPC AI and moddable creatures?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »
Default mob AI, to my understanding, will most likely be unchangeable, at least in the Survival and DD game modes.

This could be a possible feature of the modding API in the future. I'd make an idea thread on it and see what Craig says.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

scripts helper

• don't drop that duh duh duh duhhhhh
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: z0mbiesponge
  • Steam: <3creppypasta<3
Re: The Future of NPC AI and moddable creatures?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
Probably, Craig was showing pictures of modded spiders