Author Topic:  Drones  (Read 1086 times)

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
Drones
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:20:25 PM »
DRONES

This is the drone topic.

Here you may discuss your drones.

Feel free to talk about a drone you have, want, or recommend. Post videos or pictures taken of or by your drone. Share tales of your adventures with a drone. Lend tips or request advice regarding flight, repair, or purchase of drones. However, most of all, have fun.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:38:36 PM by SNWFLK »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
I just got this today for Christmas. It's a Syma X5C-1 quadcopter with a 2MP camera, 6 gyroscopes for extreme balance, and a plethora of other features. Got it for $50.00 from Amazon. link to drone here. It's an entry-level drone, and great for starters.

This following video titled "STPDBTTN Loses The New Drone" is of me losing it in the woods on my second flight within a minute from takeoff. It was found very shortly after. Careful of the volume.

Spoiler for Hidden Content:

I'll post more videos and pictures eventually.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:39:58 PM by SNWFLK »
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
The good news is you now know exactly how far you can fly it before it goes out of range and comes crashing to the ground

Jim 💠

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 05:26:52 PM »
I would love a drone. However, what's the general price for a half decent drone?

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
be sure to get the paperwork for it,the epa has laws now out for it and you could get fined/in trouble if they catch you w/o the proper stuff

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 07:03:15 PM »
be sure to get the paperwork for it,the epa has laws now out for it and you could get fined/in trouble if they catch you w/o the proper stuff
The FAA requires any equipment flying over .55 lbs must be registered. The Syma X5C-1 is under that, and does not need to be registered.

I would love a drone. However, what's the general price for a half decent drone?
Half decent, you're looking at a $100 price tag minimum. The Syma XC5-1 is a fantastic entry level drone at $50. Unless you want to check out the cheerson micro drones, which cost less and are much smaller. There's even one with a camera. I still recommend the model I have.

The good news is you now know exactly how far you can fly it before it goes out of range and comes crashing to the ground
It didn't go out of range. I panicked because the wind snagged it and it went out of sight. It can go much further upwards and lengthwise. It was out ~400 feet into woods and ~100 feet into the air before I let go of the throttle. It could have gone another 200 up and 600-1,100 out. I actually cried thinking I lost it forever.

Lunar

• Elite Member
  • The God of the Galaxy
  • Awards 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Qvzw
  • PSN: Widumn_Boise
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 08:18:34 PM »
My step brother got a really nice one for Christmas. The twist is, not only does it have a camera, you see what it sees through the camera with VR, it's kinda crazy (id get sooo motion sick). I just got a regular VR headset so I can play games on that now!

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »
After about an hour of practice in a windless area (inside my room on the floor. Don't worry, I was intensely careful.), I feel like I have definitely improved. As soon as the picnic field nearby is mown, I'll be heading there on an empty, windless day and practicing. By then, hopefully I'll have plenty of spare batteries. It's not fun getting 7-10 minutes of fly time on an hour charge. I will try taking my drone to a few clear-ish places around my yard, hovering, and taking some short videos or pictures from above head height.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
My FTHRBTTN lost his drone.

We still haven't gotten it out, despite spending two hours with the fishing rod trying to get it out.

The video footage is taken by me with my drone. I was trying to see how far up it was with a better point of view. It's uh... it's up there...

Fortunately, it isn't far from the top, and isn't obscured by many branches upwards, being that it's so high. I might be able to fish it out with my drone by attaching a long tarp strap to the bottom of my drone, and hooking it onto his. I'm nervous about that, though, because if my drone dies or gets caught on a branch and can't unfree itself, we'll have TWO stuck drones.

You can't call and ask the fire department to get it out like you can with a cat. We could ask around town if someone has a bucket loader. That could be expensive, though. It'd be okay if the drone was expensive. Except they're not. They're only $50. Hiring a bucket loader may cost anout $150 or more.

Either way, we're heading out tomorrow to give it another shot at getting the tree out. FORTUNATELY again, the weather won't be rainy, and the wind will be up pretty high. So maybe we'll just play the waiting game for it to be blown out.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:49:39 PM »
How durable are those things? How much mass do they have?

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
These $50 little beasts are SUPER durable. I've seen some $2,000 models fall 3 feet and shatter. I'm really impressed with them.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 09:53:43 PM »
These $50 little beasts are SUPER durable. I've seen some $2,000 models fall 3 feet and shatter. I'm really impressed with them.

I bet it's due to their size and mass. A durable plastic casing for a tiny thing with low mass is a lot easier to make than a casing for a bigger thing with more mass.

The bigger they are, The harder they fall.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
FTHRBTTN's drone was retrieved. The wind got up to 40mph (65kmph). Blew it right out of the tree. Didn't hit any branches on its way down. Landed from its 50foot (15metre) freefall perfectlt onto the concrete slab nearby.

0 damage. None.

Only thing I noticed was that the battery was hard to remove, but FTHRBTTN said it's like that normally.

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »

CDJ

• RPG
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Creative Viperz