Author Topic:  Rule 14 - no discussion of religion  (Read 371 times)

Jeffy

• I hate greenbeans
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Comrade Creepz
  • Steam: comradecreepzyt
Rule 14 - no discussion of religion
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
Hi

This may seem pointless, but the reason I am making this topic is because I genuinely want to know, I'm not making this topic because I want to be sarcastic about it, I'm just pointing something out.

Rule 14) No discussion of religion

My perspective on this is that they don't want anyone to discuss religion, because it can cause arguments, when two different religions have two separate views this can cause a clash, this would seem like the most logical reason for this rule being in place here.

So with that said, is it ok to discuss atheism, since atheism is a lack of faith in a god or gods/deities? If I were to guess I'd say most likely not, since atheism can cause just as much trouble, I am an atheist and I myself know this, but I just wanted to know, hence the topic.

Creepz

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
Re: Rule 14 - no discussion of religion
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »
I would imagine the rule also includes discussing the lack of religion as it could offend those who do have beliefs. And would inevitably lead into heated discussions about who's right or wrong. And those never go well.

And I think we've both just broken that rule by creating and replying to this topic.  ::)

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
  • Awards 3 years on site Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »
I would think that to be pointless and only cause the rule to be broken sooner or later. If there is not one already, create a general Science thread for the discussion. Esentially the same thing without the unwanted result (likely).
-Alionz

Jeffy

• I hate greenbeans
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
I would imagine the rule also includes discussing the lack of religion as it could offend those who do have beliefs. And would inevitably lead into heated discussions about who's right or wrong. And those never go well.

And I think we've both just broken that rule by creating and replying to this topic.  ::)

I did think that, but like I said I just made this topic because I genuinely wanted to know, I respect their right to have this rule in place. I didn't want to seem sarcastic, but I just didn't know where else to put this, so Bob, if you see this, then I apologise if I have broken a rule by making this topic, but if it wasn't me then I think that someone else would have eventually thought of this too.

Jeffy

• I hate greenbeans
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:32:17 AM »
I would think that to be pointless and only cause the rule to be broken sooner or later. If there is not one already, create a general Science thread for the discussion. Esentially the same thing without the unwanted result (likely).

[I may create one at some point, but I'm guessing that this topic will be locked at best. I hope that this doesn't seem malicious because this was not my intent when creating it./color]

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »
A discussion on atheism is a discussion on religion so the answer is no.

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
The thing about discussion of religion is that it's one of those subjects where it's always going to end badly. Everyone believes something different, and no matter what anyone else says, it isn't going to change their mind, and it'll eventually devolve into little more than an argument.

On occasion it will come up during a discussion of something else. For example if there was some big news today about ISIS, and there was a topic on that, that would be a whole different thing, as that's pretty difficult to talk about without religion coming up during the natural course of the conversation. Though obviously that's a topic better suited for the adult board rather than the general board, just using that as an example.

As far as religious specific topics though, it's way too touchy of a subject as somewhere along the line somebody is going to get upset over something that was said.