Author Topic:  npc question  (Read 212 times)

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
npc question
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:17:42 PM »
for the new ai system,are we able to determine what way they move or what they would do in certain situations such as:

if a mob is in another room by you,if you enter the radius setting on when they detect you,do they just start walking towards the player regardless if there's a wall blocking you both,or would there be a way to have it where they go through a entrance or door

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: npc question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 11:18:59 PM »
That kind of AI requires path finding which is on my todo list but not in the game at present.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 04:02:37 AM »
That kind of AI requires path finding which is on my todo list but not in the game at present.
Will it be in the game on release? If not, do you think there's a way to jury rig path finding with NPC Behaviours? I would imagine yes. How would you do that?

Edit: will the official path finder (not NPC Behaviour) ignore blocks like crops and flowers? For a time, Minecraft 360 Edition's mobs didn't, and you were able to make flower fortresses. It also made your wolves flip out. So it makes me think about what would happen if you were to do NPC Behaviour companions. If there would be any conflict with the way they sense blocks.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »
Will it be in the game on release? If not, do you think there's a way to jury rig path finding with NPC Behaviours?
Don't know on release.

I'm sure some of the more creative players will be able to jury rig, but it'll never match the real thing.

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:26:10 AM »
Here's a completely random idea

What if you based it off of points,or defining a set number of points(coordinates) they do,or maybe set a point/random xyz that they execute in order when the player  goes in their radius,so that way a xyz could be set instead of it targeting the player,and once the player is visible,then it would change its target to the player and not the point you set

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:33:40 AM »
Here's a completely random idea

What if you based it off of points,or defining a set number of points(coordinates) they do,or maybe set a point/random xyz that they execute in order when the player  goes in their radius,so that way a xyz could be set instead of it targeting the player,and once the player is visible,then it would change its target to the player and not the point you set
You can do a sentry type behaviour now with the waypoint node, so that is one option.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
Will it be in the game on release? If not, do you think there's a way to jury rig path finding with NPC Behaviours?
Don't know on release.

I'm sure some of the more creative players will be able to jury rig, but it'll never match the real thing.

You're going to need to give me vars for that.

If I can add some input though, I think the pathfinding on mobs should be more advanced depending on the mob.
Eg. Zombies with no pathfinding, Diablos with the most efficient pathfinding, Etc.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
Eg. Zombies with no pathfinding
Calm down, Leroy Brown. What do you mean zombies with no pathfinding? Zombies are all different in their own setting, but they always have some sort of sense, whether it's sound, sight, or smell. Maybe a simple pathfinding, but not zilch. Next time you imply zombies are ineffective at finding their target, I'm gonna have to ask you to slow your row, Bucko.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:50:35 AM »
Eg. Zombies with no pathfinding
Calm down, Leroy Brown. What do you mean zombies with no pathfinding? Zombies are all different in their own setting, but they always have some sort of sense, whether it's sound, sight, or smell. Maybe a simple pathfinding, but not zilch. Next time you imply zombies are ineffective at finding their target, I'm gonna have to ask you to slow your row, Bucko.

Walking straight towards a target isn't pathfinding, PWR. Of course a zombie can find you, But they aren't going to be able to navigate obstacles MC style. A zombie (Undead, Not Voodoo) is just going to walk straight towards you without regard for obstacles or its own safety.

Honestly, The zombie AI should stay mostly the same as it already is IMO. I think they could just have heightened senses to what they have now and you would have a pretty good zombie.

It should be noted, I don't like the idea of certain mobs having perfect pathfinding.

If I set up a maze, A mob shouldn't be able to blast through it without ever hitting a dead end. That seems unnatural.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:09:46 AM »
Walking straight towards a target isn't pathfinding, PWR. Of course a zombie can find you, But they aren't going to be able to navigate obstacles MC style. A zombie (Undead, Not Voodoo) is just going to walk straight towards you without regard for obstacles or its own safety.
Let's take TWD zombies as an example. If they hear something, they can pretty much find the source, or the area of the source. If they smell meat, they can find the exact location of the meat, unless the meat is scent-masked with rotting mear. If they see something, they're going to follow it, even if the target goes around the corner. They're basically animals.

I mean, that's just one of many unique examples. In any example, though, they're all able to locate a target with some means of accuracy. Let alone magic zombies (i.e. necromantic thralls), which are basically rotting humans with bad reflexes. Zombies can hunt. They're not braindead.

EDIT: Okay, so TECHNICALLY they're kind of braindead, but it's meant as a figure of speech... jeez...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:23:39 AM by SNWFLK »