Author Topic: [Skills] Skills Keep Getting Reset  (Read 673 times)

Kawika

• Hawaii Life
    • View Profile
    • 8bit build team forum
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Kawika
  • Steam: poltergeist10
[Skills] Skills Keep Getting Reset
« on: November 29, 2016, 03:16:55 AM »
Over the years, I've spent countless hours grinding for XP. I have never used a single exploit, and have always played fair, knowing I could get reset if I used any unnatural methods. That being said, I've lost my skills and unlockables SO many times, and I cannot seem to figure out why. Someone else might have asked this question, I'm unsure. However, I've refused to work towards any unlockables or skills, as they have been reset in every update that comes out.

I don't expect to get my skills just handed back to me, I don't think things even work like that, but I would like to know why this happens to me repeatedly. The only known time my skills SHOULD have been reset and were was when I was forced to change my gamertag.
Leader and Founder of 8bit

Jim 💎

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Yeet!
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
Re: Skills Keep Getting Reset
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 04:54:22 AM »
Did you change your Xbox Live gamertag at any point?  That's usually the reason to why you would lose your unlockables.  I've lost all my unlockables countless times from changing my gamertag.

However I'm not to sure on why your skills are resetting though.  Could be a bug or perhaps it's just because you changed your gamertag.

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
  • Awards Developer 4 years on site+1000 posts 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »
Did you change your Xbox Live gamertag at any point?
The only known time my skills SHOULD have been reset and were was when I was forced to change my gamertag.

Apart from the gamertag change, I have heard of others who lost unlocks and skills after the last two Microsoft botched updates. Some even reported losing maps, and some reported their entire data file was rendered invalid after these last two updates.

There has also been a lot of reports of others losing unlocks and skills over the years, presumably due to either bugs in the game or bugs in the file system, most likely the former, which I have never been able to isolate. Over the years I continued to build more and more safe guards into the save system for this data, but was never able to make it 100% failsafe.

As far as I know today, the main culprit is related to signing out at certain times in the game.

Jim 💎

• Jr. Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Yeet!
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners I shot the sherriff 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: vJamie xD
  • Steam: Jimalene
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:32:12 AM »
Did you change your Xbox Live gamertag at any point?
The only known time my skills SHOULD have been reset and were was when I was forced to change my gamertag.

Apart from the gamertag change, I have heard of others who lost unlocks and skills after the last two Microsoft botched updates. Some even reported losing maps, and some reported their entire data file was rendered invalid after these last two updates.

There has also been a lot of reports of others losing unlocks and skills over the years, presumably due to either bugs in the game or bugs in the file system, most likely the former, which I have never been able to isolate. Over the years I continued to build more and more safe guards into the save system for this data, but was never able to make it 100% failsafe.

As far as I know today, the main culprit is related to signing out at certain times in the game.

Quite a nasty bug..  :P

3rd in the world to unlock Demigods
Jr Moderator given on January 2nd 2017
YouTube: Jimalene
bob [31|Dec 12:56 PM]: Howdy Jimster

/harry        /snail         /waynesworld

Kawika

• Hawaii Life
    • View Profile
    • 8bit build team forum
    • Awards
  • Xbox: TM Kawika
  • Steam: poltergeist10
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:00:18 PM »

Okay, thanks for the info. I just wanted to see if the problem could be isolated to my console/profile but I see it must be something a bit more than that. I'll just be more careful when logging off, and grind my skills/avatars back.

I beat Dark Souls, I can do this!
Leader and Founder of 8bit

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:00:01 AM »
I don't know if it's worth knowing this Craig, but I lost all of my TM data a while ago. This information is most probably useless, however I know that a lot of game devs like to create statistics of this kinda thing to try and iron the bug out quicker.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:12:03 AM »
always back up your save data so that way you never have to worry about losing anything again

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »
always back up your save data so that way you never have to worry about losing anything again

This.

There's no reason to not have backups. USB drives can be bought for a few $ or now. If even that is too expensive for you then mobile phones can be used as USB drives. Providing there's enough storage on them.

If you don't have it backed up then it can't be that important.  ;)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 02:51:43 AM »

This.

There's no reason to not have backups. USB drives can be bought for a few $ or now. If even that is too expensive for you then mobile phones can be used as USB drives. Providing there's enough storage on them.

If you don't have it backed up then it can't be that important.  ;)

I had an 8GB which had everything on it, during a house move I lost the memory stick :( I'm not too upset about it though, I couldn't build very well back then anyway xD
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!