Author Topic:  Like posts in shoutbox  (Read 1396 times)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Like posts in shoutbox
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
Hi,

I think we should be able to like posts in shoutbox, it's ao muc easier than putting 'yeah, that's cool..' Or something.

Just like it an tah dah!

It'd be like the orange like button we have in threads and would go next to every shout.

Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
Re: Like posts in shoutbox
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
No no no no no. Definitely no. This idea is like Making shoutbox post count it don't sound good at all. Think of it this way. Shoutbox is normal just good around talking. Post are thing that stay and can be helpful to the game. Like is to show you like a idea or what someone said. The shoutbox is nonsense drama and just random talk.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
  • Awards 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »
Probably one of the most useless suggestions I've heard on here in a while XD

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
No no no no no. Definitely no. This idea is like Making shoutbox post count

I wouldn't compare it to that. I would compare it to a search bar for the shoutbox, Or the groups function. It would be useful for some people in some limited scenarios, But it would be widely overlooked by most people who simply don't have a use for it.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Oldest Lasting TM Youtuber.
  • Awards Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • YouTube: BOBsCAST
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:42:29 PM »
No no no no no. Definitely no. This idea is like Making shoutbox post count

I wouldn't compare it to that. I would compare it to a search bar for the shoutbox, Or the groups function. It would be useful for some people in some limited scenarios, But it would be widely overlooked by most people who simply don't have a use for it.
not really comparing just showing how most post additions added to the shoutbox make sense. And sound weird and are pretty weird.

/mm Thanks Gold Knight for sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm Youtube: BOBsCAST /mm

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Legendary Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »
Well, considering people rather type out "+1" than like an OP in Idea topics, I don't see why people would start liking shoutbox shouts rather than typing "lol"

You may say it's a waste of time but when the guy who tried to invent video games told us we said no one needs it and he almost did not invent it.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:10:38 AM »
Yes,

It may be bad for the fact that posts only stay for a short ammount of time but it's useful for that short ammount of time. If we had the like button, posts would stay in the shoutbox more because we won't be pushing useful posts away with useless ones like '+1'

.ok

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 4 years on site+1000 posts Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site+600 posts 2 years on site+300 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 01:21:34 AM »
i don't get the point or use of this...why add something over laziness

edit:i realize what youre talking about now,but still,no point to it

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Insert Clickbait Title Here!
    • Awards
  • Other: 何
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 01:24:51 AM »
Yes,

It may be bad for the fact that posts only stay for a short ammount of time but it's useful for that short ammount of time. If we had the like button, posts would stay in the shoutbox more because we won't be pushing useful posts away with useless ones like '+1'
Nobody says stuff like +1 in the shoutbox unsarcastically as it is though. Why would you want a shout to stay in a shoutbox longer if you're in a conversation with someone? Honestly, liking a shout seems rather useless, as it wouldn't actually benefit anyone in any way. Not only that, it would make the shoutbox look tacky.
Here's an example of how hideous it would look.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:36:58 AM by The Gold Knight »

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 02:03:50 AM »

Why would you want a shout to stay in a shoutbox longer if you're in a conversation with someone?

So that you can :

1) Pick out important info if you are trying to join the conversation
2) View useful history, instead of nonsense
3) Not have a laggy forum, because shoutbox history gives the forums lag. With the like button, we wouldn't have to clear the shoutbox as much.
4) Help the moderators. With less history, mods can easily see who's said what.

Here's an example of how hideous it would look.

I agree,

That looks tacky. So maybe if we make the image smaller, and the colours more suitable for this theme.

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
  • Awards 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Former MotM winners 1 year on site+100 posts Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 03:12:09 AM »
So that you can :

3) Not have a laggy forum, because shoutbox history gives the forums lag. With the like button, we wouldn't have to clear the shoutbox as much.

1) In no way would liking a shout help in that regard, as you'd still have to read the entire conversation to actually understand what's going on. Which you do by reading the history.
2)In what way is shouts you've liked useful? If you find something useful, odds are is it's a link, or something that could easily be screenshotted, or even then, in a topic.
3)That wouldn't help in any way shape or form. If anything, it'd probably only add to the lag because there's more stuff to load and compute as it were.
4) How does it help them? In what way would there be less history? If anything, having less history would make their jobs harder, because what I'm guessing your insinuating, is that only liked shouts appear. If only liked shouts stay, guess what? No more context, and missing information that could very well be needed.

(color for easier readability)

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
So that you can :

1) In no way would liking a shout help in that regard, as you'd still have to read the entire conversation to actually understand what's going on. Which you do by reading the history. You wouldn't need to read the history if we had this button. There would only be useful shouts, no need for +1 etc..
2)In what way is shouts you've liked useful? If you find something useful, odds are is it's a link, or something that could easily be screenshotted, or even then, in a topic. Links can't be screenshotted because they are automatically type as : [LINK]. Yes, you can bookmark it but having a like butto would enable people to see you have clicked on the link or find it useful. Same for information, it'd let them know you have read it an find it useful. Screenshotting takes up space on your device.
3)That wouldn't help in any way shape or form. If anything, it'd probably only add to the lag because there's more stuff to load and compute as it were. How would there be more stuff to load? In my eyes, the less shouts the less lag. By adding a tiny button next to it, you're not increasing much lag. If any.
4) How does it help them? In what way would there be less history? If anything, having less history would make their jobs harder, because what I'm guessing your insinuating, is that only liked shouts appear. If only liked shouts stay, guess what? No more context, and missing information that could very well be needed. I don't mean it as in only liked shouts are shown in history. I mean we would be able to see who liked what via history. You would still see unliked shouts.

(color for easier readability)

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
1)You wouldn't need to read the history if we had this button. There would only be useful shouts, no need for +1 etc..
2)Links can't be screenshotted because they are automatically type as : [LINK]. Yes, you can bookmark it but having a like butto would enable people to see you have clicked on the link or find it useful. Same for information, it'd let them know you have read it an find it useful. Screenshotting takes up space on your device
3) How would there be more stuff to load? In my eyes, the less shouts the less lag. By adding a tiny button next to it, you're not increasing much lag. If any.
4) I don't mean it as in only liked shouts are shown in history. I mean we would be able to see who liked what via history. You would still see unliked shouts.
1) Just because something gets liked, doesn't mean it's useful. Leaving out context of a conversation makes it even less useful. Nobody even says +1 unless they're being sarcastic, so that's nothing to worry about.
2)I don't see how knowing somebody clicked a link is useful. What kind of links would people even like? A Youtube link? how would a youtube video be helpful unless it's about something related to TM? If it is, guess what, bookmark the page as that would be far more useful than some like. Is it a forum post that gets shared in the shoutbox? If it is, just like that topic and show your support for it.
3) By more stuff, I mean that there's now a ton of j.avascript that has to load to show how many likes something has, and who liked it. You haven't even explained how there would be less shouts in the first place. I'm assuming you mean shouts without likes wouldn't appear, and if that's the case, you're defeating the purpose of shoutbox history.
4) This explanation doesn't explain anything, and seems rather contradictory to what you've stated already.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
1) Just because something gets liked, doesn't mean it's useful. Leaving out context of a conversation makes it even less useful. Nobody even says +1 unless they're being sarcastic, so that's nothing to worry about.
2)I don't see how knowing somebody clicked a link is useful. What kind of links would people even like? A Youtube link? how would a youtube video be helpful unless it's about something related to TM? If it is, guess what, bookmark the page as that would be far more useful than some like. Is it a forum post that gets shared in the shoutbox? If it is, just like that topic and show your support for it.
3) By more stuff, I mean that there's now a ton of j.avascript that has to load to show how many likes something has, and who liked it. You haven't even explained how there would be less shouts in the first place. I'm assuming you mean shouts without likes wouldn't appear, and if that's the case, you're defeating the purpose of shoutbox history.
4) This explanation doesn't explain anything, and seems rather contradictory to what you've stated already.

I'm not going to touch on all of your points, But I will clear up a misunderstanding to the best of my knowledge.

I think he's saying that it would make less posts simply because if someone liked the shoutbox post instead of saying "↓" or "Agreed" or something then it would have less posts.

And, I mean, That makes sense in theory. But in practice, I highly doubt it would mean anything because most members would find it pointless or not even know it exists.

Also, Saying that +1 is only used in the shoutbox sarcastically is a huge blanket statement. :P

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

The Gold Knight

• Elite Member
  • Ya hoser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »

I'm not going to touch on all of your points, But I will clear up a misunderstanding to the best of my knowledge.

I think he's saying that it would make less posts simply because if someone liked the shoutbox post instead of saying "↓" or "Agreed" or something then it would have less posts.

And, I mean, That makes sense in theory. But in practice, I highly doubt it would mean anything because most members would find it pointless or not even know it exists.

Also, Saying that +1 is only used in the shoutbox sarcastically is a huge blanket statement. :P
Thanks for clearing up the confusion!

So basically, he thinks that a lack of +1 shouts would mean less history. I have a feeling that it would be a negligible amount of shouts missing if that were the case.

I still stand by just about everything else, but I mean, c'mon, have you ever seen someone use +1 type things in the shoutbox unsarcastically? ;)