Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Science and Technology Discussion  (Read 3821 times)

BeardedSHROOMS

• View Profile
  • Xbox: BeardedSHROOMS
Re: Science and Technology Discussion
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »
I don't know, Tom. If they mine those comets or asteroids, could that throw off the comets path? And they would be spending more more money and resources than what the comets worth. And lives could be lost doing it too, and in the end, it's not worth it.
A private company would never spend more money mining resources than the value of the resources.

or they could jack up the prices, just because it came from space....but in the end, what idiot would buy such a thing?
You're underestimating the amount of resources available. In a large asteroid you could be talking trillions of dollars worth of material.

Amos

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »
I don't know, Tom. If they mine those comets or asteroids, could that throw off the comets path? And they would be spending more more money and resources than what the comets worth. And lives could be lost doing it too, and in the end, it's not worth it.
A private company would never spend more money mining resources than the value of the resources.

or they could jack up the prices, just because it came from space....but in the end, what idiot would buy such a thing?

Are you aware that there are asteroids with enough precious minerals to destabilize the world economy, and that the reason electronics cost so much is because those same precious minerals are use in their construction?

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
Speaking of space, Justin Bieber might be going to space before the majority of the people on Earth.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

BeardedSHROOMS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:24 PM »
Speaking of space, Justin Bieber might be going to space before the majority of the people on Earth.
That's cool as long as we can leave him there. :P

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
With no radio.

The White Rabbit

• Legendary Member
  • Are you a solo builder too?
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Nobodies56
  • PSN: A_Blessed_Potato
  • Steam: Ray
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »
With no radio.
Or a space shuttle.

Thanks GK for the new sig it looks great!

You may be able to teach a chimp to dance, but will he dance for your tune?

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

BeardedSHROOMS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »

DiamondBack662

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
I think any long term or stable space exploration by man is going to require the establishment of a mostly self sufficient base on the moon. The moon is more than capable of such as setup with the ability of being a launch center for deeper exploration. Launching from Earth is far too costly, dangerous and difficult with the larger ships we'll need for such endeavours. assembly in space with factories on the moon make far more sense. I also believe any serious space exploration will be corporate motivated. (looking for profitable discoveries such as rare elements/resources)

Spoiler for Hidden Content:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:20:06 PM by DiamondBack662 »

TDi Saint

• View Profile
  • Xbox: TDi Saint
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »

Quite often companies will spend a lot of money and make a large loss just to prove something can be done. The car industry is a great example, the Bugatti Veyron is sold for about a fifth of the cost to make it, they only produced it just to show-off and prove it could be done, same with most concept cars made that don't go into production.