Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Science and Technology Discussion  (Read 3356 times)

Shorts the Environmentalist

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Shortpants128
Re: Science and Technology Discussion
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
i don't know, space would be cool, but right now, as demman said, the technology just isn't there. maybe, just maybe if we had the right technology, i would probably still deny it. Mars, not worth the chance.

The moon, now that might be okay, i still wouldn't go though, space itself is just too big for me, for now.
I'm an Architect

Dig deeper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:52:35 PM »
Is there a need to exclude the rest of the forum from science and tech?

This does not need to be in te adult forum it is suitable for all and not just a handful of people.

MountainDewIt

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: cooldude013
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
Is there a need to exclude the rest of the forum from science and tech?

This does not need to be in te adult forum it is suitable for all and not just a handful of people.
That can depend. I see both sides. Yet younger members may not understand many words or something else. Besides, anyone can join the adult section.

Now, I believe that space isn't necessarily important right now. Even if we made it to Mars, what would be the point? How do we know that there's anything there besides rocks and info for history books? It would be a waste. And we were going to try and support life there, that would take years most likely and cost lots of money. I think we should just wait at least 50 years before even attempting to send another life form.

muD

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
..It is possible to travel men to moons & planets to set up habitats. There is just no need tho.
Probes are sent for the knowledge, the understanding, the science.. It's of course much easier and cheaper to send robotics, machines are more efficient in most cases, & its a one way flight.

Seems the next commercial endeavours are mining companies setting up on comets, using as many robotics as possible of course. minimal men.

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
..It is possible to travel men to moons & planets to set up habitats. There is just no need tho.
Probes are sent for the knowledge, the understanding, the science.. It's of course much easier and cheaper to send robotics, machines are more efficient in most cases, & its a one way flight.

Seems the next commercial endeavours are mining companies setting up on comets, using as many robotics as possible of course. minimal men.
Was going to mention this earlier but since MuDsluG mentioned it what do you guys of think of private companies, mining comets and searching for ores and materials in space.

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
I don't know, Tom. If they mine those comets or asteroids, could that throw off the comets path? And they would be spending more more money and resources than what the comets worth. And lives could be lost doing it too, and in the end, it's not worth it.

I'm an Architect

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »
what do you guys of think of private companies, mining comets and searching for ores and materials in space.
I personally don't have a problem with it as long as it does not harm Earth. But clearly we cannot trust either governments or private enterprise to protect Earth...

If you go by science fiction, it would seem like a useful 'next step' in technology towards the goal of colonizing the universe.

Amos

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
I don't know, Tom. If they mine those comets or asteroids, could that throw off the comets path? And they would be spending more more money and resources than what the comets worth. And lives could be lost doing it too, and in the end, it's not worth it.

What if the Earth is already in the path?  To be  able to adjust the path of a comet could save the planet.

Humans have already sacrificed their lives to get as far as this, so give up now?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:45:24 PM by Amos »

BeardedSHROOMS

• View Profile
  • Xbox: BeardedSHROOMS
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
A private company would never spend more money mining resources than the value of the resources. Also nobody is forcing those people to risk their lives. It's their choice to do what they want with their life.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:15:54 PM by BeardedSHROOMS »

• Supreme Member
  • I like to do graphics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
A private company would never spend more money mining resources than the value of the resources.

or they could jack up the prices, just because it came from space....but in the end, what idiot would buy such a thing?
I'm an Architect