Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Science and Technology Discussion  (Read 3823 times)

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
    • View Profile
Science and Technology Discussion
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
Feel free to discuss Science and technology related things here:

I'll start off :)

Space travel is it worth the Risk? Personally I believe the Pro's out weight the Con's for space travel , but what's your opinion?
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/350728/description/Mars_trip_would_deliver_big_radiation_dose

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: yogi bear triad
Re: Science and Technology Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
In my opinion, to get to Mars, our technology needs to get much better. Not just the shuttle itself, but for health care. As of now, if I was chosen out of the 7 billion people in the world to go to Mars, I would not go. It would be like sending a man to the moon with the first spacecraft that got outside of out atmosphere.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:43 PM »
Personally I don't think it's a bad idea. Although funding was cut from NASA, so a government-led voyage would be slim to none.
It would have to be conducted via independent companies like Virgin Galactic or that Spaceship One thing.
You make me smile!

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
I do agree that independent companies/ privatisation is the way forwards a while back I found this - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_(spacecraft) its built by a independent company (which use to be goverment funded) but even with privatisation, funding is a big problem for space travel.

(smacks you)

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
but even with privatisation, funding is a big problem for space travel.

My hunch is that it'll start similar to automobiles: First prototypes only limited to more wealthy because space travel would be expensive. As new technologies are developed it becomes cheaper for average person.

Though another point I would like to make would be the problem with human bones becoming brittle after years in space. I read/watched a documentary somewhere that if a human were to stay in space for over two years their bone strength would be so weak they would need a special walker to stand up on Earth.
You make me smile!

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »
but even with privatisation, funding is a big problem for space travel.

My hunch is that it'll start similar to automobiles: First prototypes only limited to more wealthy because space travel would be expensive. As new technologies are developed it becomes cheaper for average person.

Though another point I would like to make would be the problem with human bones becoming brittle after years in space. I read/watched a documentary somewhere that if a human were to stay in space for over two years their bone strength would be so weak they would need a special walker to stand up on Earth.

Yes it's the effects of microgravity (man made gravity found on space stations) on the bones another hurdle to overcome on the great journey along with sleep pattern disruption that can cause people to go insane.

(smacks you)

SpiderKiller

• View Profile
  • Xbox: DerpySwagger
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
Feel free to discuss Science and technology related things here:

I'll start off :)

Space travel is it worth the Risk? Personally I believe the Pro's out weight the Con's for space travel , but what's your opinion?
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/350728/description/Mars_trip_would_deliver_big_radiation_dose
A new age of colonialism involving inter planetary travel. Sounds good, also will put less of a stress upon our home planet considering less people and such.

signature by Madminer

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Well, there is now a new primate at the beginning! The oldest primate fossil to this date has been found. It broke the record by 7 million years. A short time on a geological timescale though.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-06/worlds-oldest-primate-fossil-discovered

I would like to make a connection here, the fossil was found at the bottom of an old lake where oxygen levels are low. I went to a lecture by Robert Ballard, a man who studies old ship wrecks, and they actually go to lakes/seas where there is a low amount of oxygen to find very well preserved ships.
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:55:08 PM »
I went to a lecture by Robert Ballard, a man who studies old ship wrecks, and they actually go to lakes/seas where there is a low amount of oxygen to find very well preserved ships.

He was the shipwreck hunter who found both the Titanic and the nuclear submarine USS Scorpion
You make me smile!

demman32

• Elite Member
  • Bob's Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
I went to a lecture by Robert Ballard, a man who studies old ship wrecks, and they actually go to lakes/seas where there is a low amount of oxygen to find very well preserved ships.

He was the shipwreck hunter who found both the Titanic and the nuclear submarine USS Scorpion
Tell me something I didn't know :P
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!