Author Topic:  Deadman - A Cube Zombie Survival  (Read 230 times)

LB

• Founder of Catsbury and Creditland
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Liam Bradbury
Deadman - A Cube Zombie Survival
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
- Deadman -

Deadman is a zombie survival game that is made using the Blender Game Engine and is created completely by me. This game was inspired mainly by Dead Ops Arcade from Call of Duty: Black Ops. The game is basic, you're in a small area and lots of zombie cubes race to kill you. As you kill more zombies, you gain points. Points determine the difficulty of the game i.e when you have over 20,000 points, the zombies will run faster and when you hit 50,000 points they will run even faster etc.

You are given 2 nukes to prepare yourself at the start. Every 50 kills you get, you're equipped with another added nuke. They are extremely useful for getting yourself out of a corner when trapped by a horde of zombies and should only be used in a crucial situation like that.

Like most games, you start at 100 health. I felt the health system was too strict in Dead Ops Arcade so I adjusted it so that when you are hit by a normal zombie, you will take 5 health, getting struck by the first boss will deal 10 health and the second boss will take 25 health. The only way go regain health is by getting lucky with pickups. There are currently 4.

Starting with the health pickup, it's very self explanatory. When you pick it up, you gain 50 health.

Next, there is the laser gun. It's fires powerful laser bullets that shreds through all zombie types, even the bosses. It also doubles your fire rate for 30 seconds.

Then there is the traditional Double Points. Again, very self explanatory. It doubles the points you receive for 30 seconds.

Lastly, this can only be obtained as a drop from bosses. It's a follower that shoots with you for 30 seconds. It has a slightly slower fire rate but it almost allows you to stay in a corner and constantly shoot and you'll most likely not get hit.

I will be posting screenshots alongside my development as the game grows. I am open to suggestions and changes so feel free to post anything that could potentially improve the game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:20:48 AM by LB »

LB

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Deadman - A Cube Zombie Survival
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »
I have been working on the game a lot the past few days and the progress is constantly giving me more motivation to continue. There are currently 2 gamemodes, one is complete but I still add content to when I feel it needs it and the other gamemode is still buggy but works for the most part.

Apocalypse - You have one weapon with unlimited ammo and 2 bombs to start with. Survive for as long as you can to get the most points possible. There are milestones in the points you receive that determines what type of zombies spawn and which boss is revealed.

Survival - You have a minigun with 500 bullets, a knife to tactically take out zombies in ac close quarter battle and the ability to aim in to pick off zombies. Points in this gamemode are used as a currency to purchase ammo for the minigun. Different zombies spawn on different waves, so for wave 1 there will be slow and weak zombies, wave 10 they will be quicker and more bullet resistant and so on...

Both gamemodes have been redesigned and needless to say, I'm very proud of what I have created, the game so far looks far, far better than originally planned. I have adjusted the brightness so it's no longer bright, the moonlight only lights up the area a small amount and the flare that is carried by the player lights the rest. Apocalyse is set in a snowy area, with snow particles that fall from the sky. The particles were carefully crafted, they weren't used with a particle emitter since Blender doesn't allow that in the game engine. The Survival gamemode is set in a muddy area, with a constant downpour. The rain particles were once again, crafted by me and not made with a particle emitter.

Getting the 'particles' to look semi-realistic was a huge challenge but the final result is mindblowing to me, probably not to anyone else though. On the topic of particles, I've been so reluctant to work with the gun mechanics that I have already made but I decided to touch on it and added bullet spread to make the gun firing more realistic, the same for the laser gun. The laser gun has been changed from Red to Light Blue and it lights up the entire area and I can say it looks and feels much better than what it was previously.

I will be posting screenshots sometime soon, I have just been too busy to do so.

LB

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Deadman - A Cube Zombie Survival
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:15 PM »
I know I haven't updated this topic in a long time and the game has been developed through this entire time. The game is far bigger, there is now more to do since I'm working on different gamemodes. For example I have recently worked on a gamemode called Sharpshooter. This has a similar concept to One in the Chamber from Call of Duty: Black Ops where you shoot a bullet and hit someone, you are granted with the bullet back; miss however and the bullet is gone.

I have found the time to record gameplay from 2 different updates: one from late September and one just last week.

September Apocalypse Update:

October Sharpshooter Update:

My plans right now is to keep adding more gamemodes alongside fixing and adding smaller things in the other gamemodes. I'm currently redesigning the map for Sharpshooter as I felt it didn't look as good as I intended it to be when the most recent patch was given out, so that is my priority.

The next gamemode I have planned is a melee based combat mode, where I will be working on mainly animations since I need to learn how to make smoother animations and making them look somewhat realistic. I can't say what it will look like in terms of graphics but I can picture a Japanese theme would suit this gamemode rather well.