Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Set Marker Limits  (Read 1325 times)

As many W's as possible

• Supreme Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
Set Marker Limits
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »
This idea is more of an anti griefing idea rather than a creative addition. Essentially, adding a Set Marker Limits option allows hosts to put a restriction on how big of an area creative commands can be used. For example, you could set the size of a usable area to 32x32x32, or simply a diameter of 32. This would ultimately force griefers to take longer in order to delete work, but still allowing players to use the Creative permission.

"But Trub," you might be thinking, "Why would I give someone untrustworthy the ability to use markers to begin with?"
Well, constructive criticizer, many people enjoy opening up maps where they let people build freely. These players greatly benefit when given the Creative permission, as it allows access to shops at the push of a button! It also lets them use markers to speed up building time.
So instead of having to: a) make sure a player is trustworthy with creative commands, OR b) watch over players like a hawk, hosts can limit how large of an area markers are capable of deleting and filling.

If you have any C&C for this idea, please respond. If the only thing you have to say is "+1," just leave a like on the OP. Thanks for reading.

JD DRAGON 7

• Legendary Member
  • I'm a freelance builder.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: JD DRAGON 7
  • PSN: JD_DRAGON7
  • Steam: JD_DRAGON_7
Re: Set Marker Limits
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:38:00 AM »
I believe it was set up so you could make a world zone that is a no edit zone then you could make a edit zone and set the player to the owner of that edit zone and they will only be able to edit in that zone.
Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.
Wii U      JD_DRAGON_7
360        JD DRAGON 7
Ps3/ps4  JD_DRAGON7
Steam    JD_DRAGON_7

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:05:55 AM »
...then you could make a edit zone and set the player...
...then you could make a no edit zone and set the player...

Still doesn't help the OP.

As many W's as possible

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:29:25 AM »
Sometimes you're a lazy host and can't be arsed to set up someone's zone since you're busy making sure people don't grief already. Or maybe you do set up a zone for a player, but they want you to make it bigger later. Or maybe you set up the no edit zone later, but the builder isn't around to be set as the editor for the zone.

This is where the marker limit could come in handy.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 05:52:53 AM »
Sometimes you're a lazy host and can't be arsed to set up someone's zone since you're busy making sure people don't grief already. Or maybe you do set up a zone for a player, but they want you to make it bigger later. Or maybe you set up the no edit zone later, but the builder isn't around to be set as the editor for the zone.

This is where the marker limit could come in handy.
But what if I set the marker limit to 1?

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

As many W's as possible

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 07:38:41 AM »
Then it's just obvious you don't want people to have any freedom.

TheDestinedCrab

• Legendary Member
  • Did you see that? Me neither.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 07:59:44 AM »
Then it's just obvious you don't want people to have any freedom.

Hmm.. Ive followed the general gist of this thread for a little before posting, and have come to decide that this idea may actually be more useful than it sounds. I thought at first that this was kinda like the edit or no edit zone/permissions, but this is more "adventurous" than that.. I dont think it would be a bad idea to have this in game, even if it doesnt help everyone, it helps those who have built great things, but want others to explore it without greif. 10/10 for this idea, and i hope it makes the game.
Thanks Gold Knight for the amazing sig!

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »
If you want to be really technical about this, You can do this as of 2.44 with variables.
It would be much easier if Craig allowed block ID number for script input, But it could be done, And once it was done once (Probably by me, Or PWRBTTN.) it could be shared out to everyone.

If you want to determine just whether or not a marked area has less than a 32x32x32 area, All you have to so is something like this.

"
Var [XRange] = [x1] - [x2]
Var [XRange] = [abs:XRange] // Distance from 0. This means that if the number is negative, It will go positive, If it is positive, It does nothing.
Var [YRange] = [Y1] - [Y2]
Var [YRange] = [abs:YRange]
Var [ZRange] = [Z1] - [Z2]
Var [ZRange] = [abs:ZRange]

If
  IsVar [XRange] [<=] [32]
  IsVar [YRange] [<=] [32]
  IsVar [ZRange] [<=] [32]
Then
  FillRegion [x1,y1,z1] [x2,y2,z2]
Else
  Notify [Your selected area is [XRange]x[YRange]x[ZRange]. The maximum area is 32x32x32.]
"

This doesn't mean this is a bad idea, I'm just showing the power of variables.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 08:25:44 AM »
it helps those who have built great things, but want others to explore it without greif.
how?

As many W's as possible

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:39 AM »
it helps those who have built great things, but want others to explore it without greif.
how?

See, if you limit a person's capability of creative commands, they can still build things in a quick flash, but at the same time, a griefer actually has to put in effort into destroying someone's work. Considering the quality of many maps nowadays, we both know griefers don't have effort.