Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  LGBT Rights  (Read 759 times)

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
LGBT Rights
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
The last couple of years have been very important for LGBT rights, but there are still more than a few problems facing gay communities across the world. We used to have a topic for this, but it was locked due to childish arguments. I got Bob's permission to make a new topic, but I want to start with a few ground rules to avoid the same thing happening to this topic...

Rules:
1. This is not a discussion about the morality of being gay. It doesn't matter if you think it is wrong or right, this is a thread about how they are treated under the law.

2. No hate words. No rude words such as "f****t" are allowed here. It just isn't respectful

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Rights
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Here are some to get the topic started, feel free to make your own posts if you have anything you want to share:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-fox-viacom-cbs-amc-877659
Hollywood fights for gay rights

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2016/0331/Tennessee-bill-would-allow-therapists-to-refuse-LGBT-patients-on-religious-grounds
Tennesse bill tries to legalize discrimination

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/31/new-ukraine-government-lgbt-activists-gay-rights-zoryan-kis
Gay rights in Ukraine
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:52:37 PM by Atlas Telamon »

#BanAtlas

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
They are human beings at the end of the day and deserve to be treated as such. That means equal rights for everything and not restrictions based from some old religous laws.

This might be bordering on your 1st rule but here's a little story. A true one aswell.

When i was 20/21 i shared a house with 3 friends (all straight, including myself). Looking back they were complete idiots but that's irrelevant. Kind of.

I worked at a DIY store and one of the guys there who was given the task of training me and also came to be and still is, one of my best friends, was, and is gay. He had a long term partner and was planning on getting married. He did eventually and i was an usher at the ceremony.

Anyway, one day i forgot my wallet and we planned on a pub dinner so he gave me a lift home to pick it up. Whilst i was upstairs getting my wallet and sorting a few other things out he was downstairs with my housemates having a laugh and a joke.

Fast forward a few hours when i finished work and got home my housemates were saying what a laugh he is etc... and that we should all hang out more, clubbing, pubs etc... I made them aware that he might not be interested in that as he has a boyfriend and it's not really his scene.

In an instant there attitudes changed and they said they didn't want no (insert a dozen or more random slurs here) coming around anymore.

Needless to say, they weren't my housemates for much longer and i've not spoken with any of them for years yet me and said gay guy are still good buddies.

It just goes to show you never really know some people until they show there true colours.

Anyway. Apologies for rambling on but thought it relevant. They deserve equal rights for everything as they are no different from any other person you might see on the street and should be treated as such.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: GoatOnTheM00n
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
Ill keep it simple.

I don't agree with ho-mosexuality. Therefore, I am not gay.

But the state has no business passing laws on someone life. Its no business of the government to regulate what people do with their sexuality, so long as it harms no one it makes no sense to pass laws preventing it.

EDIT: I didnt realize cheesecake was an offensive word. What a joke.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
Everyone deserves their chance at love, Everyone should be treated fairly.

That's all there is to it really.
If only it were that simple to make people see that.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »
They are human beings at the end of the day and deserve to be treated as such. That means equal rights for everything and not restrictions based from some old religous laws.

This might be bordering on your 1st rule but here's a little story. A true one aswell.

When i was 20/21 i shared a house with 3 friends (all straight, including myself). Looking back they were complete idiots but that's irrelevant. Kind of.

I worked at a DIY store and one of the guys there who was given the task of training me and also came to be and still is, one of my best friends, was, and is gay. He had a long term partner and was planning on getting married. He did eventually and i was an usher at the ceremony.

Anyway, one day i forgot my wallet and we planned on a pub dinner so he gave me a lift home to pick it up. Whilst i was upstairs getting my wallet and sorting a few other things out he was downstairs with my housemates having a laugh and a joke.

Fast forward a few hours when i finished work and got home my housemates were saying what a laugh he is etc... and that we should all hang out more, clubbing, pubs etc... I made them aware that he might not be interested in that as he has a boyfriend and it's not really his scene.

In an instant there attitudes changed and they said they didn't want no (insert a dozen or more random slurs here) coming around anymore.

Needless to say, they weren't my housemates for much longer and i've not spoken with any of them for years yet me and said gay guy are still good buddies.

It just goes to show you never really know some people until they show there true colours.

Anyway. Apologies for rambling on but thought it relevant. They deserve equal rights for everything as they are no different from any other person you might see on the street and should be treated as such.
The first rule was just to stop the topic from getting out of hand. This is one of the quotes from the last topic that lead to it getting shut down:

"Didn't say God didn't love all his children. And you can be a Christian and gay, but its like being a Christian and killing people (just an example, gays aren't murders, mostly) you can't go to heaven without asking for forgivness sincerely and turning from it."

As you can probably guess, things like that can quickly start an argument that will lead to the closing of the thread.

#BanAtlas

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:50:40 PM »
"Didn't say God didn't love all his children. And you can be a Christian and gay, but its like being a Christian and killing people (just an example, gays aren't murders, mostly) you can't go to heaven without asking for forgivness sincerely and turning from it."

As you can probably guess, things like that can quickly start an argument that will lead to the closing of the thread.

It'd be nice if the topic was solely about the rights and laws but unfortunatley a lot of the arguments against having equal rights come from old religous laws and views. It's a difficult subject to discuss without religion being brought into it.

But i agree that there's absolutely no need for insults or hatred.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:52:26 PM by Fuertey »

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »

It'd be nice if the topic was solely about the rights and laws but unfortunatley a lot of the arguments against having equal rights come from old religous laws and views. It's a difficult subject to discuss without religion being brought into it.

But i agree that there's absolutely no need for insults or hatred.
Well it takes two sides to argue. I'm sure that the person who wrote it didn't intend it as an insult, but two other people who also shall not be named took it as a pretty big insult and the arguement got it banned. That is why I want to try to keep it more on the legal side instead of what people think about the LGBT community. So I guess what I am saying is try to be respectful.

#BanAtlas

crazytater94

• Supreme Member
  • Mastering TM since 2011
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: crazytater94
  • PSN: crazytater94 (Inactive)
  • Steam: crazytater94
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
I myself, am not gay, but I do believe that everyone should be able to marry who they love without any law that says you can't be together.

The 2 main reasons that I hear people say that they don't want them marrying is:

1: what do I tell my children...
 Answer: how about tell them that they love each other.

2: its gross
 Answer: so is Miley Cyrus, but she's everywhere.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:11:37 PM »
I have a close friend of mine that is openly gay, and he and his friends constantly attend LGBT events. I feel like the amount of activists in the LGBT community that openly advocate their beliefs are pretty high (not based on any facts, just based on what I've seen), and it's honestly very inspiring.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ