Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  2.0 General Discussion  (Read 39640 times)

sinless

• Been here since the beginning
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 General Discussion
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:57 AM »
The new combat system sounds like fun, Oooo

Thanks to /gk for making me this sig /wub

"Announcer of The Official Zepplin Race"

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Steam: tota1miner
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »
Someone asked me a good question so I thought I'd post it here

How much weight under your new combat system is on the stats of the player VS his/her weaponry?

Lets say a zombie can wipe the floor with a newb with a wooden sword, but a late-game character can wipe the floor with the zombie.

If they switched weapons and the newb had the Sword O Hurting could he win?
If the tougher stronger player got the wooden sword could he still crush the zombie?

Mobs don't use weapons, armor or food, so if you were to fight a mob in a fist fight without armor and no food.

1. If you were of similar combat level, you could win or lose. If you were a few levels higher, you could lose but would more often win and vice versa.

2. If you were a significantly higher level, you'd almost always win, but if you suffered many bad dice rolls you could lose.

Add items to the equation. A player with a similar combat level to a mob, but with a good sword, would almost always win.

A player could take on a mob with a significantly higher combat level, and if they have good armor and a good weapon, they could kill the mob, with the player hoping they don't receive to many frequent max hits from the mob (if the mob has a high strength level like the Troll).

Lets say a zombie can wipe the floor with a newb with a wooden sword, but a late-game character can wipe the floor with the zombie.

If they switched weapons and the newb had the Sword O Hurting could he win?
If the tougher stronger player got the wooden sword could he still crush the zombie?

If they switched, firstly the newb wouldn't be able to use the Sword O Hurting because all weapons have a minimum skill(s) level to use and a newb won't be able to use the stronger weapons.

The tougher player could still beat the zombie with the wooden sword, if it's combat level is slightly lower than the zombies (or greater), but it'll be a closer match.

If the players combat level is quite a bit higher than the zombie, then beating it with a wooden sword shouldn't be a problem.

Pride

• Legendary Member
  • A new begining
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Denied Pride
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
I like the new system for combat... Now I have one question Craig.
1. Will the fall damage be fixed too? It really annoys me how I can fall 100 blocks and still live some of the time.

AlienizdPixel

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
I was skimming through the post and saw something that may attract some people. It is that Armor is to be added in the update of 2.0. I'm indeed happy I don't need to use the quite ineffective and challenging shield anymore.
As of how weopons work with skills, I am not approving. It should be instead of not being able to use it period, it should have more disadvantages than advantages. For example I use the BattleAxe which is required to be 25, but I'm only 5. When I use it while i'm still 5, it takes a VERY long time to swing and it does almost no damage due to the slowness. It also won't give me the passive sheild bonus, since it's too heavy for me to block. I think if it was like this, It would be a very different system from the other games combat system.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:11:42 PM by A1ienizdPixe1 »
-Alionz

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
As of how weopons work with skills, I am not approving. It should be instead of not being able to use it period, it should have more disadvantages than advantages. For example I use the BattleAxe which is required to be 25, but I'm only 5. When I use it while i'm still 5, it takes a VERY long time to swing and it does almost no damage due to the slowness. It also won't give me the passive sheild bonus, since it's too heavy for me to block. I think if it was like this, It would be a very different system from the other games combat system.
This has two major disadvantages.

The biggest is that it will not be clear to players, particularly beginners why the weapon is so ineffective. They'll just think either the weapon sucks, or the game sucks, or it's bugged.

The other is that players will not have as much incentive to level the requirement skill.

Not Actually Atlas

• Extreme Member
  • Atlas Telamon
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: atlh3
  • Steam: The_Green_Condom
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »
This has two major disadvantages.

The biggest is that it will not be clear to players, particularly beginners why the weapon is so ineffective. They'll just think either the weapon sucks, or the game sucks, or it's bugged.

The other is that players will not have as much incentive to level the requirement skill.
does this work with other tools too? like if your a lumberjack, and you cut down a lot of trees could you get skills that help you cut trees down faster, or break through leaves easier? and will you not be able to use higher level hachets until you get your skill high enough?

Miner of the Month for January 2014
But you can call me the salaminizer!
#BanAtlas

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
does this work with other tools too? like if your a lumberjack, and you cut down a lot of trees could you get skills that help you cut trees down faster, or break through leaves easier? and will you not be able to use higher level hachets until you get your skill high enough?
Yes, the Chopping Skill.

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
Will the player dying have any effect the players skill or level, whether it be permanent or temporary?

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »
If we consider RPG gametypes, wouldn't it be better to have a feature that allows admins to "reset" player skill and weapon skill when joining their RPG creative map type?

For example, an RPG map requires you to level up sword fighting so you can wield the legendary sword in the chest.
However, (with the new combat system that was just announced) anyone who has been leveling up in their free time could bypass this and simply grab the sword right off the bat

EDIT: I read above something about enabling skills in the lobby, so that might be the feature that I'm talking about
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:49:17 PM by Dauntless395 »
You make me smile!

Craig

• Developer
  • Extreme Member
  • Dig Deep
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
If we consider RPG gametypes, wouldn't it be better to have a feature that allows admins to "reset" player skill and weapon skill when joining their RPG creative map type?

For example, an RPG map requires you to level up sword fighting so you can wield the legendary sword in the chest.
However, (with the new combat system that was just announced) anyone who has been leveling up in their free time could bypass this and simply grab the sword right off the bat
I considered adding this option. My only hesitation is that it might cause players not play maps if they have to build their levels again. It does take time. As a host I would be wary of using such an option. I think it would turn players off more than attract them to a map. But I could be wrong.

Also, players might be reluctant to invest time on a map if it is not building their global skill experience.

The lobby option is a toggle. Skills On/Off, not a Skill reset.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:05:04 PM by Craig »