Author Topic:  Unnamed Medieval/Fantasy enhanced "Survival" Sandbox RPG  (Read 2311 times)

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
Re: Unnamed Medieval/Fantasy enhanced "Survival" Sandbox RPG
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 04:52:11 PM »

I started work on the entrance to the Demara (Demon) citadel today.
It is bigger than the picture would suggest, Idk why it looks rather small here that.

Anyways, About half of the Demara city will be underground in large chambers.
The rest will be outside.

I'm inching towards release.
I want to have at least one dungeon, Quite a bit of spells, And quit a bit of the Demara and Human towns finished.

As well as a name. I need to think of a name for the map.
Reminds me of my Dwarven City entrance on Trium.

I can sort of see that, But I feel like mine is still substantially different.

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »

It is bigger than the picture would suggest, Idk why it looks rather small here that.

I want to have at least one dungeon, Quite a bit of spells, And quit a bit of the Demara and Human towns finished.

I told you, man. All Dwarves have really big doors on their fortresses. Overcompensation.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts 3 years on site+600 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »

I told you, man. All Dwarves have really big doors on their fortresses. Overcompensation.

How do they even open the thing? Dwarves aren't known for having greater mass than a 70+ metre tall stone door that is 2-3 metres thick.

BTW, On a side note, The map won't be released until 2.44 unless something happens. The reason being that Iwant to incorporate math and item stats into the map properly.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site+300 posts Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »
How do they even open the thing? Dwarves aren't known for having greater mass than a 70+ metre tall stone door that is 2-3 metres thick.
Pulleys. My favourite simple machine.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail         

Jack Of Shades

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 2 years on site+300 posts Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Former MotM winners
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 09:02:32 PM »
I just said it reminded me of it, being that it's partially underground and built into a hilly landmass. Never said it looked alike. ;) Still enjoy the architecture and everything. It's going to be fantastic!

BTW, On a side note, The map won't be released until 2.44 unless something happens. The reason being that Iwant to incorporate math and item stats into the map properly.

See now, Dryym? I thought we had this discussion. Over-thinking leads to a shorter life bud. lol But anyway, Dwarves are notorious miners and tinkerers. Their machinery/mechanisms do the heavy lifting for them. Another reason I love Dwarves. Especially Elder Scrolls dwarves. So much mystery, but so very much scientifically advanced. 8)
Looking forward to when I can come visit. /sage

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »
Dwarves are notorious miners and tinkerers. Their machinery/mechanisms do the heavy lifting for them.
Yeh, but gnomes are tinkerier. Is why I play a gnome most always.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »
I just said it reminded me of it, being that it's partially underground and built into a hilly landmass. Never said it looked alike. ;) Still enjoy the architecture and everything. It's going to be fantastic!

See now, Dryym? I thought we had this discussion. Over-thinking leads to a shorter life bud. lol But anyway, Dwarves are notorious miners and tinkerers. Their machinery/mechanisms do the heavy lifting for them. Another reason I love Dwarves. Especially Elder Scrolls dwarves. So much mystery, but so very much scientifically advanced. 8)
Looking forward to when I can come visit. /sage

If you want me to stop over thinking things, I could just cut this entire project short.

Literally just about every detail on the map is the result of me thinking really hard about how these things work. I have even made it so all bells have a rope attached to them so you can ring them.

If I don't over think things, This whole thing collapses.

Dwarves are notorious miners and tinkerers. Their machinery/mechanisms do the heavy lifting for them.
Yeh, but gnomes are tinkerier. Is why I play a gnome most always.

Sorry to tell you, Gnomes won't be in this map. I may have them in the universe though, They aren't overused like Dwarves and Elves. In addition, They are actually somewhat interesting.

SwiftGeneration

• Elite Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site+100 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: SwiftGeneration
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »
This is actually turning out to be a really good map! I'm enjoying the scripting he's done on it and his interiors are a little inspiring ;)

Well done Dryym
Old Member Of Team Craft
Old Member Of Builders Unit
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter = SabreSwiftYT
Youtube =
Skype = Swift Generation

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 07:40:43 PM »
This is actually turning out to be a really good map! I'm enjoying the scripting he's done on it and his interiors are a little inspiring ;)

Well done Dryym

Only a little? Damn! I was going for "Holy mother of Craig, This interior changes my perception of the three dimensions of reality as viewed on a two dimensional screen! My very grip on the concepts of space and time has been torn up, Thrown into the air, And snogged to death."

But I guess a little inspiring is alright.

I am glad you enjoy the map, I've always wanted to do a large scale project like this, But I was always unhappy with the terrain. Who knew modified semialpine maps had so much potential.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »
So I've been doing both planning, And actual scripting recently. I figure I should outline it to get more varied feedback.

I'll be separating things into spoilers for ease of reading.

Magic

Spoiler for Hidden Content:
For my Magic system, I've worked out a unique system to the typical mana system.
Magic is cast using catalysts, To swap between a catalyst's spells, You have to hold a catalyst in one hand, And swing your other hand while it is empty.

Since it has come up before, This requires dual wielding to be on. There won't really be any way to use magic without dual wielding. So, Sorry.

Instead of mana, You have Essencia. You do not require Essencia cast spells, But it is highly recommended. Casting magic without Essencia damages the soul. This accumulates bad Karma.

Bad Karma can manifest itself into all sorts of unpleasant things depending on how much has accumulated. This means that casting too many spells without Essencia is very likely going to give you a bad day.

Another key element to magic is alignment. Certain spells will be aligned towards dark or light. And depending on your alignment, They may cost more or less than their default Essencia cost to cast.

This gives the dynamic of players choosing which spells they want to be effective with.

Sure, A fully light magic user can use dark magic, But the long term effects of the bad Karma they accumulated in doing so will have lasting effects in the long term.

Each catalyst has a theme to its spells.

Wand: Harmless utility spells, Such as personal teleports, Or confusion spells. Extremely common among thieves.
Dark Staff: Offensive dark magics. Designed to drain, Kill, Torture, Or maim targets.
Light Staff: Defensive, Or passive offensive magics. Things like barriers, Tethers, Karmic discharges, And the like.
Nature Staff: Spells involving the cooperation of life, Using willing natural sources for the purposes of healing and or assisting the life of another.
Necromancer Staff: Blood magics and necromantic summoning. Blood magics are unique in the way that they damage your physical body rather than your soul when used.
Ocean Staff: To be determined.
Spider Staff: Currently unused.

As for spells, Here is my current list.

Wand:
Translocate: A medium range teleport that sends a ghost form to a destination and takes you to it. Translocation is not instantaneous, But can go through matter.
Confuse: Teleports the target a random amount of blocks in a random direction. More useful in PVP.
Boost: Launches the player upwards. Can be used to cushion long falls, Or reach high places.
Blink: A short range teleport that is instantaneous, But cannot go through walls.

Dark Staff:
Leech: Leeches health out of the target and regenerates your own.
Strike: Damages the target.
Dark Blitz: Creates 5 orbs of dark energy and sends them forth at a focal point. Each orb does a certain amount of damage.

Light Staff:
Barrier: Creates a barrier of light energy in front of the target for a certain amount of time, Protecting the caster from any frontal attacks before it dissipates.
Tether: Pulls the target up into the air and tethers them there for a certain amount of time. Note that during this time the target player is also shielded from attacks.
Karmic Retribution: (Planned spell) forces a release of all Karma in the target at once. Not always wise to use though as it may manifest itself as destructive beings.

It should also be mentioned that all spells have a cooldown period. This period is shared by all magics, So using one spell with a long cooldown restricts use of all other spells until the cool downis finished.

Arms & Armour

A bit simpler than magic. I can probably explain this pretty quickly.

I plan on rebalancing all of the weapons and armour with new blueprints, And stats.

First off, Metal armour will be a lot harder to get, And much tougher. Giving you much more defence, But probably less attack.

Swords will do high damage, But have no attack bonus, So they are completely useless against metal armour. They may also have somewhat of a defence bonus to simulate guards.

Axes will have slower swings than swords, But they will have high damage and higher attack bonuses than swords due to their heft and small impact point.

Spears will have high attack, Long reach, And less damage. Spears will be great for penetrating armour due to their ability to find gaps in the plates.

The halberd will have long reach, Slower attack times, But relatively high damage and attack.

The warhammers (Of which there are 2, One of which is going to be used by Demons.) will have the highest attack out of all weapons making them the most effective weapons against armour. Crushing bone and denting armour at the same time.

Potions

Not as much planning has been done on potions yet, But I can still give some info.
Essencia potions will be used to restore Essencia.
Ichor potions will be renamed to "Artificial Blood" and provide an alternate food source for Vampires.
Aestus will be a healing item for Undead, And an extremely deadly poison to the living.
Astro Potions will become the new Ichor, Which is a popular, But potentially deadly narcotic made from diluted Karmic Essence. Ichor will have completely random good and bad effects for the player when used.

That's about all I have planned as of now.

Misc

As hinted earlier, You will be able to become a vampire in the map. You will also be able to become a revenant, And maybe some other forms of undead.

Vampires lose the need to drink water, Become stronger than other players, Regenerate health quickly, Gain immunity to poisons, Gain night vision And have the ability to drain other non vampire players and mobs of their blood to feed.
On the flip side, They lose health rapidly in sunlight unless wearing a predator amulet (Slows death) or a sapphire necklace (Stops death), Are harmed by running water, Die quickly to wooden weapons, Lose the ability to fill satiation with food, Etc.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »
The map is not dead yet!

I've done a bunch of mundane scripting that I doubt most people would be interested in. So I will just sum up some highlights.

I started work on a weight system. Weight will have an effect on your speed, And other things.

I added the framework for my witchcraft system. Unlike other forms of magic, You will have to "unlock" witch spells by applying tattoos to yourself.

I've started work on a nutrition system which will determine how much you can carry, How fast you can move, How long you can sprint for, Etc.

I've added a few potions as necessary.

I've redetailed a lot of the buildings with the 2.5 additions.

I've started to do some serious planning for how sanity will affect the player. My current tests of some basic visual effects make me feel paranoid when walking around.

I've created a framework for a system that allows me to technically use multiple screen tints at once. Basically, It averages all of the different screen tints together and then applies that to a screen tint.

This allows me to mix environmental screen tints with other tints like the ones used by sanity scripts and have them blend somewhat well.

Platinum Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »
And so there were problems...

So, I love this map. I am extremely passionate about this map.
That being said, This map may not be feasible on 360.

I have tons of scripts that are all really cool, But with even one extra player in the game, Everything just starts dying due to latency in scripts, Desynch errors, And the like.

At one point, PWRBTTN was being teleported to 7 different places at once on my screen due to a script running on my machine when it shouldn't have been.

So, In order for this to work, I would need to dumb down the scripts by an extreme amount to make them somewhat multiplayer safe.

Either that, Or I could just wait until I am able to play PC and get it to work there.