Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  Fine Bros and Copyright claim on all REACTION videos  (Read 513 times)

.ok

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fine Bros and Copyright claim on all REACTION videos
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 03:02:10 AM »
this kindof reminds me of that one group last year that flagging and taking down everyones videos that had any sort of copyright stuff,including music of any sort/length by reporting it to youtube,which for a while they got tons of channels struct down and taken down(bet they couldnt get pewdiepie if they tried lol,which even if they were to,hes the biggest channel anyways and im sure ppl would riot...but either way,pewds is set for life pretty much from all the money hes gotten off YT)but lots of ppl got mad and now u havent heard anything of them doing that for a long time now,or they stopped....but either way they got a few big channels down from that

im sure that when enough people get mad or complain,that theyll stop,or something will happen from it

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber (2013-2019)
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
Yeah they are.

Apparently youtube's automatic copyright detection system has no descrepency to tell whether or not some claim has any legal legitimacy.
Considering the fact that they are striking down before they even can. Makes me really think of them less more. They took it way over the line and it just ridicules.

/mm Thanks GK for Sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm YouTube: Mythical Monkey /mm

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »
I, by no means, approve of the REACT Copyright. However, many people are not understanding why they're doing it. The Fine Bros REACT on videos that don't belong to them, making them susceptible to copyright claims. I wouldn't expect The Fine Bros to be total jerks about it, though. I don't know them personally, of course, but they're not the only Class-A YouTuber that does reaction videos. So to be jerks about it is to surely ruin them. In all honesty, it's likely personal security rather than a malicious, advantageous move.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
  • Steam: Conmaan ... ... Discord: Conmaan #9586
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »
I, by no means, approve of the REACT Copyright. However, many people are not understanding why they're doing it. The Fine Bros REACT on videos that don't belong to them, making them susceptible to copyright claims. I wouldn't expect The Fine Bros to be total jerks about it, though. I don't know them personally, of course, but they're not the only Class-A YouTuber that does reaction videos. So to be jerks about it is to surely ruin them. In all honesty, it's likely personal security rather than a malicious, advantageous move.

Reacting to a video, whether copyrighted or not, does not mean that you are liable for a copyright claim. If you modify the video in any significant way then it now falls under parody in terms of legal standing, and you are protected by law.

What the Fine Bros are doing would not have any impact or improved security for their videos. The only thing it would affect is what other youtubers can produce.

Of course, as you saw in the video I posted originally, the general consensus is that the Fine Bros shouldn't be responsible for policing all reaction videos. This is against the freedom of speech that all people should have on the Internet. If I want to make a YouTube video about me and my friends watching a movie trailer and reacting to it, I shouldn't have to go through some greedy, money grubbing corporation that might charge me a few or just flat out tell me no.

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4rmelSOUB9YMM0Is-zWyQ

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
Reacting to a video, whether copyrighted or not, does not mean that you are liable for a copyright claim. If you modify the video in any significant way then it now falls under parody in terms of legal standing, and you are protected by law.
Incorrect. Parodies are not protected. You may be familiar with the YouTube group Yogscast. If you follow them, you may have noticed that they don't post as many music videos and the ones they do post are exclusively original. This is because they got claimed too frequently on their parodies.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Jesse

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
It is sad when i type react in the search bar of YouTube. And all i see is fine bros. That was not always like that.

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
Incorrect. Parodies are not protected. You may be familiar with the YouTube group Yogscast. If you follow them, you may have noticed that they don't post as many music videos and the ones they do post are exclusively original. This is because they got claimed too frequently on their parodies.

PARODY VERSUS SATIRE IN COPYRIGHT LAW: JUST ARGUE PARODY. A. Fair Use Defense for a Copyright Claim. The fair use of copyrighted works for purposes such as criticism or comment is. not an infringement of copyright.

A reaction video falls under the fair use clause of parody and copyright law, because it is used for purposes such as criticism.

The difference between that and something like using a copyrighted song in a video would be because it doesn't fall under fair use.

Also, for reference, https://apps.americanbar.org/litigation/committees/intellectual/roundtables/0506_outline.pdf
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:19:17 PM by Gary »

Gary

• Tester
  • Supreme Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
Also, I'd like to add that while YouTube attempts to follow the law regarding parody and copyright as best they can, they are by no means a judge and jury, and so if they decide to take something down because a company asks it doesn't necessarily make it illegal.

Jesse

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Also, I'd like to add that while YouTube attempts to follow the law regarding parody and copyright as best they can, they are by no means a judge and jury, and so if they decide to take something down because a company asks it doesn't necessarily make it illegal.
The fine bros are so big they can ban users themself.

Steve

• Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Total Miner Forums
  • Xbox: Derfen Steve
  • Steam: Derfen Steve
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
The fine bros are so big they can ban users themself.

Thats a prank