Author Topic:  Games As Movies  (Read 1912 times)

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Xbox: _______
Games As Movies
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
Many of us know there are really great video games out there, some worthy of achieving a movie out of them! However most of the movie's flop and overall are just pretty pathetic. But maybe its just the video games! I mean honestly, how well can you make a Mortal Kombat movie? (Looking at you Mortal Kombat: Annhilation) Anyways, what video games do you think could make a great movie adaptation?

My Pick:
Spoiler for Hidden Content:

Alright obviously im going to be biased with my favorite game, but cmon! Bioshock would easily be a great movie adaptation! After the movie ideas were squashed back in 2013 I cant help but wonder how great it could've been! Who cant Leonardo DiCaprio as a great Frank Fontaine!

Trubtavium Recordsmith VII

• Supreme Member
  • Do you wanna see the Galaxy?
  • Awards Former MotM winners Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 5 years on site 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Trubstep Record
  • Steam: Trubstep_Record
Re: Games As Movies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »
I read the book that is the prequel for the first game (My favourite game besides Oblivion :3 ) And I'd ABSOLUTELY love a movie adaptation even just of the book! Plenty of characters, plenty of backstories for em, we could see the dangers of building the city! Then of course all the buildup that lead to the civil war!

bob

• Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Awards Award for outstanding excellence in the field of bob 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 1 year on site Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »
The first Mortal Kombat movie wasn't that bad. It was just a cheesy action movie, but it was mildly entertaining, and at the time the special effects were pretty good. And it brought this to the world

Something like Fallout could theoretically make for a good movie. Plenty of lore to draw from, cool setting, no particular characters that that it would have to be tailored to so there would be a ton of creative freedom.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:56:02 PM »
Something like Fallout could theoretically make for a good movie. Plenty of lore to draw from, cool setting, no particular characters that that it would have to be tailored to so there would be a ton of creative freedom.

I would agree, but im kind of burnt out on the Post-Apocalyptic setting in movies now. Like Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc... I think Fallout would be a good movie adaptation, but the genre is rather run of the mill at this point.

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • What's yours is mine. ~TM's Resident Master Thief~
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: dryym
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
I still think Halo could be really cool as a movie if it were done well.

Especially considering these trailers from past games.

As long as the people making it are competent (No Peter Jackson. I do not want a grunt/jackel love story.) I think there are tons of things that could be done with Halo.

A movie in the Forerunner-Flood war would be unique. Not many advanced aliens v space zombie parasite movies around, Are there?

Creator of the term "Deathmine "
Jared [19|Oct 07:12 PM]: "It changes everything" Dryym

#

• I don't do much here.
  • Awards Month 1 members w/25+posts (4/21/13-5/12/13) 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: HellomeZodoz
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »
Personally, I think Assassins Creed would make a great movie adaption. The first few games had great stories and lots of lore. In fact...:

Supposedly, unlike many of the other game movie adaptions, this ones being produced in-house by Ubisoft and 20th Century Fox is just distributing it. The main character will be played by Michael Fassbender. I've never heard of him, but I guess he was in a few of the X-men movies. Here's a picture of him in costume:

From the few pieces of information they gave, it seems that they are keeping the whole Abstergo/Templars vs. Assassins vs. Aliens from another race thing. I'd be surprised if they can actually pull it off without confusing any new comers to the Assassins Creed Lore. Hopefully this is actually good and not just another ploy for Ubisoft to milk this franchise a little longer. Still pretty excited though!

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »
Personally, I think Assassins Creed would make a great movie adaption. The first few games had great stories and lots of lore. In fact...:

Supposedly, unlike many of the other game movie adaptions, this ones being produced in-house by Ubisoft and 20th Century Fox is just distributing it. The main character will be played by Michael Fassbender. I've never heard of him, but I guess he was in a few of the X-men movies. Here's a picture of him in costume:

From the few pieces of information they gave, it seems that they are keeping the whole Abstergo/Templars vs. Assassins vs. Aliens from another race thing. I'd be surprised if they can actually pull it off without confusing any new comers to the Assassins Creed Lore. Hopefully this is actually good and not just another ploy for Ubisoft to milk this franchise a little longer. Still pretty excited though

When Ubisoft started releasing Assassins Creeds every other week I really lost my interest in the series, but I would definitely love to see an Assassins Creed Movie.

PWRBTTN

• Legendary Member
  • Professional Expert, Comrade
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: PWRBTTN
  • Steam: PWRBTTN
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
I always liked Blizzard's cinematics they would use for cut-scenes and trailers, so I'm going to have to say the Diablo franchise.

Perhaps the Fable franchise... or... at least Fable: The Lost Chapters could make a good movie.

Also, and I know you said movies, but I've always been a fan of TV series that center around politics. So I think Tropico would make a great television series.

Lastly, as a response to Dryym, I think Halo was actually supposed to have a movie released at the same time of Halo: Combat Evolved. They just couldn't find actors... or something. The props are supposedly still kept in a warehouse in New Zealand.
/snail       /snail    /snail         /snail /snail      /snail   /snail                /snail        

Dryym

• Supreme Member
  • Awards Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 3 years on site Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 07:45:30 PM »
time of Halo: Combat Evolved. They just couldn't find actors... or something. The props are supposedly still kept in a warehouse in New Zealand.

It was indeed, That doesn't change the fact that there is no Halo movie yet.

Either way, We have a game and a book (Halo: The Flood.) that tell that story. I'd prefer something new.

Dauntless395

• Legendary Member
  • The Ecchi King
  • Awards Week 1 members w/25+ posts (4/13/13-4/20/13) Former MotM winners Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar 3 years on site Awarded to exemplary forum members Site art contributions/TPs in-game/Contest winners 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Dauntless395
  • PSN: Dauntless395
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »

Even though the movies deviated from the original concept of the first couple video games, the Resident Evil movie series is pretty good. It definitely encapsulates the cliche zombie plague genre well, while having it's own unique plotline. Even if that plotline includes having super powers by the fifth movie....

Some less-than-remarkable movie adaptations of video games: Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy: the Spirit Within, and Doom.

If I were to wish for a game franchise to be adapted into a movie, I would pick either Sins of a Solar Empire PC game, or the tabletop/PC game Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War.
For the former, I would imagine the plot is open-ended enough to justify a nice epic 3-way space battle with massive titan warhships having a slug fest. Kind of like that one big EVE Online battle.

For those who have never played Sins of a Solar Empire

For the latter, there is practically an unlimited supply of lore that can be drawn from the Warhammer 40K universe to make an incredible movie. It would need some seriously badass voice actors (as all Space Marines sound like Bill Pullman giving his Independence Day rally speech), nice CGI to do the demonic warp spawns, and a lot of close ups showing Orks getting their faces shot off, xenos getting power-punched in the face, and Chaos Lords taking a chain sword to the abdomen.
Basically the movie shouldn't go more than five seconds without seeing blood, gore, and hacked limbs flying through the air.

You make me smile!

Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Member
  • "Witness me! I live, I die, I live again."
  • Awards 1 year on site Former MotM winners 3 years on site I AM THE LAW! 2 years on site Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Day 1 w/25+ posts (4/12/13)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 02:27:01 PM »
I quite enjoy Prince of Persia: The sands of time.

(smacks you)

being stupid is gona start to hurt around here.

Nefty

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »

I was having this discussion with my older brother whose favorite gamer is Dante's Inferno, and it really would work great a movie. As long as crazy Christian protestors don't show up to ruin it.

Fuertey

• Elite Member
  • Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue.
  • Awards Awarded to exemplary forum members 2 years on site 4 years on site 3 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Xbox: Fuertey
  • Steam: Fuertey
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »

Dryym

• Supreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »

I believe there was an animated series for a while, I don't believe I had ever saw it.

I spent so much time on that game and it's sequel. XD

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber
  • Awards Top contributors to the forum downloads. Was in the top 10 of the forum stats page as of 4/12/15 Members who have unlocked the robotic avatar Former MotM winners 5 years on site 4 years on site Donated a giveaway prize. (Must be a prize of cash value.) 3 years on site 2 years on site 1 year on site
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
    • Awards
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:27 PM »
I believe there was an animated series for a while, I don't believe I had ever saw it.

I spent so much time on that game and it's sequel. XD
Yea it was a tv animated series.

/mm August 15th 2018 /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm YouTube: Mythical Monkey /mm