Create a free account to remove all ad content.

Author Topic:  The Hidden Update List Index  (Read 3947 times)

ROZE

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
  • Xbox: Jaz the MAN 2
  • PSN: Jaz_the_MAN_2
  • Steam: Jaz the MAN 2
The Hidden Update List Index
« on: December 23, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »
The Hidden Update List Index:

Added since 1.9 - 2.11 updates:

Spoiler for Hidden Content:
POSSIBLE 255 textures for blocks (This was a chat about paintings at first):
Craig:
If the profiling shows it's not too expensive to use for the other blocks, then the other blocks will also be able to take advantage of it and they will have at least 255 texture slots each.

More avatars available after animated avatars:

Clerical:
However when the animated avatars come out there will be some more avatars added,

Possible weather updates:
Craig:
#2: im not requesting or pushing anyone to do this rain and fog is already amazing! but will their ever be other things like lightning or snow?
Yes, I've set the system up so it should be relatively easy to add other environmental effects, snow, mist, sand storms, lighting, etc.
#4: when it is raining will water have an animation of little droplets or anything like that?
Hopefully.

Corner stairs and ramps:
Corner ramps and stairs will come in a later update. They couldn't make 2.0.

Ban option:
Craig's reply to a ban idea in the idea page:
It is easy enough to do. I'll add it to the todo list.
A banning feature is already confirmed for a later update, it will be similar to how the kick feature looks/work.

Cone and pyramid blocks:
Craig's reply to a cone and pyramid topic on the ideas page.
In the near future. Who knows what my happen after that.

Clan banners on nameplates:
Yep all that stuff, clan banners on nameplates too. I prefer banners to color changes.

But we are derailing this topic..

Snow:
Craig states that snow hasn't been added YET, this is showing that he may have plans to add it in the future
It doesn't rain in winter where you live?

Snow hasn't been added yet.

Possible future mob block plans:
+1

I'll just clarify the OP a little.

More options on Mob Spawner block:

Move Speed:
Hearing Range:
Vision Range:

Quest editor:

Each player will have a quest book or journal (per world). Via this journal the world will know each players progress in each quest, from not having started the quest yet, to having completed the quest and receiving any reward.

So from that I don't see why something like "Item X cannot be crafted until Quest Y has been completed" could not be done. This would be per player.

Or "Item X cannot be crafted until Objective Y in Quest Z has been completed".

I haven't nailed down any details yet, but if you've ever played Avatar Legends, it'll be something like their system.

A quest will (generally) be started by dialogue with an NPC. You will be able to name/label NPC's and give them dialogue trees. You will set a branch of the dialogue as the trigger to start a quest. You will assign ordered objectives to quests which will be completed by players performing actions in the game. Once all the objectives have been completed, the reward is given and the quest is complete. Standard stuff. Rewards may include unlocking items/actions or access to other quests. I expect rewards will be assignable to every objective, allowing controlled progression.

I won't know until work proper starts on the Quest builder.

But yes I'd expect standard things like:

* Selecting a certain NPC dialogue branch.
* Entering an area.
* Kill X number of Y mobs.
* Mine X number of Y blocks.
* Collect X number of Y pickups.
* Reach Level X of Skill Y.
* Prospect a block at position x,y,z.
* Activate a plate/switch/button.
* Opening a chest.
* Crafting (Cooking/Smelting/Smithing) an item.

And probably a bunch of other things that we will think of as we start to work on it.

Rate history:
Craig's reply suggests that he may add the ability for the game to give someone a history after they have gave the world a rate
If I had the game automatically add a [RatedWorld] history or some such name when the player rates the world, much like when a book is read or an NPC talked to, would this suffice?

Placing blocks easier underground:
Craig's reply to a topic requesting to allow players to place blocks underground and fill up holes while no-clipping
It's reasonable since you won't get stuck in the block you're placing.

Sideways stairs/ramps:
Craig's reply to a topic requesting for sidways spikes
Yes that would require a new block. There is no reason not to do it.
Well there is one reason. It's very tedious work. But that's my problem ;)

Total miner PC BETA:
I can't confirm yet. I need to find out some more technical details first. But I'd expect a public beta test before the initial launch.

Mobs equipping items/armor:
They wouldn't wear it, they're ranged attackers and titanium armor has a severe negative ranged bonus ;)
Yes, at the moment mobs don't use weapons, they just use their fists, but I intend to give them the ability to use weapons and armor once their animation is done. So armor could also benefit from the strike type percentages.

It might also be interesting to add a set of new items that give bonuses for each strike type, to buff the weapons or armor, either jewelry or some other type of items that need to be wielded.

Damage types:
Initial thoughts.

Strike Types:
Pierce: Spears, Arrows.
Stab: Swords.
Slash: Scimitars.
Crush: Claymore, Battle Axes, Fists.

All Tools could be assigned any of these types as well.

Maybe each mob type has a percent value of 0% to 200% for each strike type, where 0% is complete immunity, 50% is half damage, 100% is normal damage (as it would receive now), and 200% is double damage (values over 100% allows for unusual susceptibility to that strike type).

The only tricky bit is what to do with the weapons. Do they just have one Strike Type or different percentages of each type.

e.g.

Does a sword just have Stab, or does it have 100% Stab, 50% Pierce, 50% slash, 25% crush. etc. This would be more flexible because it would allow some weapons to be more general and some to be more specialized, but would make balancing harder.

e.g. A general weapon could be

Pierce: 75%
Stab: 75%
Slash: 80%
Crush: 70%

And a specialized weapon could be:

Pierce: 20%
Stab: 40%
Slash: 30%
Crush: 100%

Mob Defaults: (These aren't final, just some initial thoughts).

Duck:
Pierce: 90%
Stab: 95%
Slash: 100%
Crush: 120%

Sheep:
Stab: 100%
Slash: 100%
Crush: 95%

Alpaca:
Pierce: 95%
Slash: 105%
Crush: 90%

Aye Cow:
Pierce: 80%
Slash: 85%
Crush: 50%

Highland Cow:
Pierce: 75%
Slash: 90%
Crush: 45%

Goblin:
Slash: 95%
Crush: 100%

Spider:
Pierce: 100%
Stab: 90%
Crush: 110%

Werewolf:
Slash: 85%

Zombie:
Pierce: 60%
Stab: 70%
Slash: 110%

Dryad:
Pierce: 60%
Stab: 75%
Slash: 95%
Crush: 110%

Djinn:
Pierce: 50%
Stab: 80%
Crush: 120%

Orc:
Crush: 70%

Troll:
Pierce: 120%
Crush: 50%

Diablo:
Stab: 90%
Slash: 70%
Crush: 85%
A very nice idea, and reasonably easy to add. +1

Undo tool (ps4, pc only):
Craig originally said he will not be creating an undo tool as it takes to up to much RAM usage, he then said
Yes, I'm only referring to the Xbox 360.

Added since 2.2 update:

Total miner virtual on screen keyboard:
The keyboard will be chatpad supported as well as hotkey supported.
Yes it is a pain. It's a hard limit imposed by the Xbox, nothing I can do. Once we add our own virtual keyboard, which is part of the PC port, but will be available on Xbox, this problem will be gone.
The virtual keyboard should work the exact same way as the current Xbox version we use.

The keyboard will fit completely in the screen of the player using it, including split screens.

We'll probably have 3 variants.

1. full keyboard layout with controller support.
2. ribbon keyboard with controller support - same as the one on the xbox 360 bing search screen.
3. text field directly on the screen - with caret. only supported by keyboard/chatpad. so for example when editing scripts or npc dialogue or sign text, you can type the text straight onto those screens.
It has been done as part of the PC port. After 2.31 is released we'll be merging the PC and Xbox source code, which means it will likely be included in the following Xbox update.

Saves against profiles not gt:
If 2.2 requires a follow up patch, which is likely because it is a big update, with a lot of internal changes, in the patch I'll be adding support for profile based save data, so your unlocks, skills, etc will stay with your gamertag if it's changed.

Once 2.2 is actually downloadable, we'll need up to 2 weeks to collect a list of bugs for the patch, and maybe another 2-4 weeks to release the patch + time in peer review. Which gives a release time of around 4-7 weeks for the patch.

If you can wait that long..

Return script:
I'm considering adding input parameters and return values to scripts.

This would help modularize certain functions.

e.g. Some scripts utilizing return values

script: Validate Something
return [bool]
if
   has..
   has..
   is..
then
   return [true];
else
   return [false];

script: Script1
if
   script [validate something]
then
   validate returned true
else
   validate returned false

script: Script2
if
   script [validate something]
then
   validate returned true
else
   validate returned false

Script1 and Script2 are able to use the same validation without having to write it twice.

Another example:

Script: GetRandomMobType
return [mobtype]
if
   israndom [1,3]
then
   return [sheep]
elseif
   israndom [1,3]
then
   return [duck]
else
   return [highlandcow]

script: SpawnRandomMob
spawnmob [x,y,z] [script:GetRandomMobType]

e.g. Some scripts utilizing input parameters

script: SpawnMob
input [point] point
input [mobtype] mobtype
spawnmob [point] [mobtype]

script:SpawnRandomMob
if
   israndom [1,3]
then
   script [SpawnMob] [100,200,100] [sheep]
elseif
   israndom [1,3]
then
   script [SpawnMob] [200,200,100] [duck]
else
   script [SpawnMob] [100,200,200] [diablo]

possible input/return types would be something like:
Bool (true or false)
Value (a number)
Point (x,y,z)
Color
MobType
BlockID
ItemID
and probably several others

My thinking with this is still undeveloped and there may well be problems that could make it infeasible, but so far i think it could be done.

Thoughts?

New syntax layout:
The current script syntax is problematic, so I've been considering a new one.

There are 4 main problems with the current syntax:

1. Everything has to be surrounded by square brackets so the script interpreter can distinguish separate parameters.

2. Parameters have to be in a fixed order and in a lot of cases can't be omitted/defaulted.

3. To accommodate #2, I have to make several versions of the same command to help script writers not have to worry about parameters they're not interested in.

4. Parameters are mostly unnamed so it's harder for script writers to remember what each parameter is, and it makes the script interpreter code more complex.

I've considered various other syntax formats, and I think the most suitable one for our scripts is the standard command line syntax most operating system command shells use.

e.g.
> command [name] [/a[=attributes]] [/b] [/c]..

where /a, /b, /c are named parameters, usually followed by some value, but not always

e.g.

rain /point=x,y,z /radius=value /duration=value /intensity=value /color=r,g,b

parameter names can be shorted to the least significant characters, e.g:

rain /p=x,y,z /r=value /d=value /i=value /c=r,g,b

any non mandatory parameters can be easily omitted, e.g:

rain /p=x,y,z /r=value
or
rain /p=x,y,z /i=value

an example of params that don't need values:

sound brook /p=x,y,z /delete
sound brook /p=x,y,z /d
or
sound brook /p=x,y,z /loop
sound brook /p=x,y,z /l

the /delete and /loop params don't need values

Parameters can be entered for the command in any order, you won't have to remember the fixed order again. e.g.

rain /p=x,y,z /r=value /d=value /i=value /c=r,g,b
and
rain /d=value /c=r,g,b /p=x,y,z /i=value /r=value

are both (the same) valid commands.

The syntax might seem a little cryptic at first, but I think once you get used to it, you'll find it much easier to write and understand scripts, and you won't have to refer to the documentation so much.

Naturally if I was to do something like this, I'd convert existing scripts to the new syntax, so you wouldn't have to worry it'll break your scripts and you wouldn't have to write them again.

In general, because you won't need square brackets anymore and you'll be able to omit unused parameters, the number of characters you'll need to type to write scripts should be reduced, speeding up the process.

Thoughts?
[
My example wasn't great because each parameter had a different first letter, but what least significant characters mean is if there are two or more parameters that start with the same letters, you just need to use enough to differentiate them

e.g.

command /point=x,y,z /player /power=5

least significant would be

command /poi=x,y,z /pl /pow=5

Custom avatar information:

Can ramps, half blocks or cylinders be used to build avatars?
Can water, lava, fire, ropes or ladders be used?

At least initially, no, I'll only be supporting standard blocks that do not have special function or rendering. That may change later.

Will we see the animated avatars wearing their armour?
Yes, this is a goal. How it's going to be done, I don't yet know.

Will Avatars be included in the share menu, or will we be saving/sharing the component model?
Avatars will have their own share menu item.

Will players go into a avatar making lobby / small world type of thing to build them, or will it be done in existing worlds using markers?
Avatar making lobby, basically a cut down version of the current lobby.
Players will be able to bring their avatars with them. So if you're hosting a world and someone put's on a skin you don't like, kick them. If you join a world and see an avatar you don't like, leave.

Custom blocks:
Yes, 3D so 16x16x16, create any shape within that space.

Once the block is created, it can then be rotated when placed.
Yes. It's been on the To Do list since v1.5, even before copy/paste/components. Just never had time to do it.

From what i've seen, avatars are made by building a large model then having it shrunknstuff..
If there is some kind of 'shrink mechanism for making avatars, Can that also be used for making static, placeable, custom blocks?

Yes custom blocks will basically be shrunken components.

Ability to use save permission in scripts:
I would like to enable it as a default or via scripts, but I'm concerned if someone finds an exploit, there will be a rash of 'he stole my build' complaints. If after a few more months there is absolutely no doubt that all permission exploits have been removed, I'll consider it.

Use custom avatar permission:
Gamer to Host: Y U NO LET ME WER MY AWWSUM AVATER!@??
Host to Gamer: Because it's offensive.
Gamer to Host: OK I USE NORMEL WON PLZ GIV ME PERMITON
Host to Gamer: Ok last chance (gives permission)
Gamer runs off, changes into offensive avatar and try's to keep out of hosts view.

I'm seeing the need for a view current avatars option...
Or maybe a permission. That way you can deal with avatars on a gamer by gamer basis.

Added since 2.21 update:

NPC nameplates:
I had a look at adding nameplates to NPC's before but they appear to be expensive to draw, so if there are more than 20 or 30 nameplates, it can start to hurt performance. I'll have to take another look at it to see if there's a way to draw them more efficiently.

But for players it shouldn't be too much of a problem as there are generally less than 15 players in a world at once.

Custom made vehicles:
It's been suggested a number of times, and I've never shot it down. It hasn't been added yet simply because of technical roadblocks. But those roadblocks may not exist after custom avatars are added.
I'd enjoy playing in a GTA style map. Hmm if only we had bikes and cars, and trucks, tanks, planes and helicoptors even. Looks like we need a vehicle maker.
Why would more particles help with a GTA map? To make vehicles? I'd rather add a vehicle maker. Save your vehicle build as a component.  Click the 'Make Vehicle' button, spawn instances of them around the map, and jump in/on them to ride/drive/fly them. Making bot cars drive around by themselves might be a bit tricky, but could probably be scripted if there was a script command to move a vehicle.

Convert worlds to PC:
If Microsoft do not remove the requirement to be online when launching an Xbox Live Indie game, effectively making them unplayable when the Xbox Live 360 servers are finally shutdown, then we will provide a program that will allow you to move your worlds to the PC.

We'll probably do it anyway.

Instanced chests:
Been looking for this one for a long time :P posted away back I'm june/july 2013!

This basically works similar to Minecraft's ender chest if I remember correctly.
There are two ways to manage instanced chests.

*For this post, player = non admin player.

1. Restrict the chests inventory so basically players cannot store their own stuff in the chests, they can only take out the items stored by an admin.

or

2. Allow players to store their own stuff in the chest on top of what the admin has already put in there. These items will not be visible to other players.

As a map admin, which would you prefer, and most importantly, Why?

I see. I didn't envisage them as a substitute for locked chests. I guess it depends on what permission is needed to break them.

[edit] Thinking about the permission, it makes sense only admins can break them. So they would be a viable substitute for locked chests, but I'm not sure I like that idea.

Particles script:
This reminds me of the awesome sounding particle block.
I've been planning to add particle emitters to scripts for a while now, but the current particle system is horribly inefficient (which is why there is a 'clear particles' option in graphics options) and I know if I add particle emitters that use the current particle system, people are just going to lag out their maps. The main reason for the inefficiency is the requirement for each particle to collision detect against the world and for the particles to have variable life spans.

I'll look at an option where particles do not collision detect and have a fixed life span. (The fixed life span is not such a problem, because tricks can be used to make the particles appear to live shorter).

Script sticks: (custom block confirmation?)
Script sticks would be items that when activated, would execute a set script for a player mobile.
They can run them via the usual script menu.

I looked into adding a script stick for this update, but ultimately it's a customizable item, so it's better to add in a proper general custom items system first and allow the sticks to use that, rather than hack in a specific solution just for the sticks, then have to do it again properly later.
once a player levels up to level 15 health [skill] the game will notify the player that they can now use 'wand. Wand can also be seen in the global price list. Possibly a name for the script sticks.

Change tp script/option:
Perhaps we need a player option -> Texture Pack Override: Allow/Disallow

if set to Disallow

then then TexturePack [name] script command has no effect.

Custom items:
Custom items have finally been confirmed! You will be able to change a custom bows rate of fire:
This kind of functionality will be included with custom items.

It's not very practical to have it as a general script command because every bow has a different base fire rate.

Added since 2.3 update:

Use of up to 256 paintings per world:
Note that this was stated by Craig before the 2.0 update
this thread is making me consider changing paintings to allow selection of up to 255 photos per world

and use the normal texture selection as the frame

make the frames a bit thinner

and allow you to take any number of photo's

but photo's use approx 1MB each for storage on your HDD

XBLIG's only allow 2GB storage total

so it would be easy to use all that up with only photo's

so i'd have to add an option to delete the main photo, but keep the thumbnails (which are used on the paintings). so you could still use the thumbnails, but free up space for more photos. that would allow for thousands of thumbnails to be stored. or alternatively add a new item which only takes thumbnails instead of a full photo

on an HD texture pack, each thumbnail needs approx 15k RAM. so allowing up to 255 thumbnails on paintings will use more RAM and use more bandwidth on multiplayer, but it should still be manageable
oh no, what have i done, i just created a 16 frame movie on a painting block :,(

now the pressure to allow many more photo's to painting blocks will be unbearable  :D

Setting default initial spawn:
Also, in a world with multiple spawns, is there a way we could set the initial spawn zone?
I've added this to my list of 'possibles'.

Added since 2.41 update:

Solid particles:
Particle collision is not possible with the current particles. The CPU does not process the particles except to initially spawn them. Everything after the particle is spawned is handled by the GPU, which has no access to game data.

This is why the game is able to handle up to 4000 particles. If the CPU was processing the particles, the game wouldn't be able to handle more than a couple of hundred.

It's possible in the future I might add a second particle system which could handle collisions, but the number of particles would be limited, to around 200 or so, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:24:13 AM by Jaz »

ROZE

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
Re: The Hidden Update List Index
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »
Updated:-
*Future NPC plans

Jesse

• Extreme Member
  • Retired TM Youtuber (2013-2019)
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
  • Xbox: YT Mysterio
  • PSN: YT_Mysterio
  • Steam: YT Mysterio
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Updated:-
*Future NPC plans
Wait why is there 2 again?

/mm Thanks GK for Sig /mm
/mm MotM September '14 /mm
/mm Robo February '15 /mm
/mm 4th Demi Gods December '16 /mm
/mm YouTube: SOGMonkey /mm

ROZE

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »
The other topic is now full.

ROZE

• Supreme Member
  • - Jaz
    • View Profile
    • The Useless Web
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »
This was updating something that was already on the list with more information. Not adding something new to it :P

Jesse

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »
This was updating something that was already on the list with more information. Not adding something new to it :P
You could just edit the first post but what do you mean it is full i can post in it?

AlienizdPixel

• Jr. Moderator
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
You could just edit the first post but what do you mean it is full i can post in it?
I believe he has hit the character limit for posting on the original, so he is cutting down old information to this one here so he can post newer possible features.
-Alionz

Jesse

• Extreme Member
    • View Profile
    • Old Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »
I believe he has hit the character limit for posting on the original, so he is cutting down old information to this one here so he can post newer possible features.
Wait i thought they removed the limit? Like a year ago.

AlienizdPixel

• Jr. Moderator
  • Supreme Member
  • Hello
    • View Profile
  • Xbox: A1ienizdPixe1
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »
Wait i thought they removed the limit? Like a year ago.
Just tried it, and unless if lines upon lines of copypasta from reddit doesn't reach the limit, there seems to be none. Maybe he simply thought it was too messy on one post.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:09:18 PM by AlienizdPixel »
-Alionz

Faint of Clubs

• View Profile
  • Xbox: Faintcub7332217
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »

It's okay moderator monkey, you'll live
That guy with dem scripts.